replace tie rods and pitarm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question replace tie rods and pitarm?

HELP

I read just the other day in one of the threads about tie rods suddenly breaking while people are driving, and causing them to loose control, crash, or worse. I had no previous knowledge of this, so it was alarming. I searched for info...found out the MOOG is the best tie rod brand that I want, and that its best to just replace all 4 inners and outers.
Today I went to firestone and pep boys. Firestone mechanic at least knew about the problem with F150's and tie rods, and said they use MOOG tie rods to replace the worn or broke ones. That was good. Then comes the deal on alignment. My truck is lifted 3 inches over stock 2WD trucks. I told him I was told after my lift kit was put on that you need to go to a place that will specially align the vehicle because OEM specs. don’t always give you the best alignment. Firestone said they could do that, I don’t trust that...
Pep boys straight up denied me any service after I told them I had the truck lifted, the bad part - it would have cost me 300 dollars instead of the 500 something firestone wanted.
Further I’m having trouble with that stupid squeaking that comes from the pitman arm (as far as I understand), and want to fix it but don’t know whether to pump it with grease, or replace the entire arm?! The guy at firestone said he's never heard of such a "trick" in his 33 years of service and said that was the stupidest thing he's ever heard for something that involves the steering of the truck.

Frustrating!!!! Anybody with ideas specifically about the alignment and having a lifted truck in context about the tie rods, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED. Same too for the pitman arm, but it seems like I’ll have to try that by myself.

THANK YOU!!!!
delta17

Old 12-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tie rods are ok for now; most likely replace them next year. I R&R’d my pitman arm around October. I’ll tell you it wasn’t easy, but I am proud to say I did it myself. Do a search for “Pitman Arm” and read my experience, good advice in there for you. Good luck!

Quick Reply: replace tie rods and pitarm?