Rear Spring Eyebolt Removal Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2000, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rear Spring Eyebolt Removal Problems

Was trying to install a 2" drop rear shackle from Belltech this afternoon. No problems w/ Belltech; their shackle looks top notch.

My problem is with Ford. On my '99, the head of the bolt which mounts the rear of the spring is on the frame side, and must slide out toward the middle of the truck. Unfortunately, there is not enough clearance around the spring hanger to get the bolt out.

According to Belltech, the solution is to cut the bolt and replace it. Wish I would have known before jacking the truck up and getting most of the way done with the project! Unfortunately, I will not have time to get to a hardware store for new bolts this weekend, so I put everything back together stock.

It seems that my truck may be unusual, according to the guys at Belltech. Anybody else have this problem when pulling the shackles for a raise or lower? Is there a way to get the bolt out toward the frame side without cutting it?

Thanks for any help.

------------------
1999 XLT S/C, 4.2 V-6, auto, 3.55 rear, dark torreador red/harvest gold, Ford bed liner

Clarion ARX8570z Head Unit, Sony 10 disc CD, Infinity 610cs components & JBL GTO7520 speakers; USAcousitcs 4065 amp and Polk 8" subwoofer

Edelbrock IAS, Steeda Rear Anti-sway bar,

Superchip, Airaid FIPK, Flex-a-Lite Black Magic electric fan

Old 07-15-2000, 10:57 PM
Dave,
Forgive me if I've got you misunderstood, but I took a look at my truck and I assume you are talking about the "top" bolt, the bolt that actually goes through the rear spring eye. That bolt on my truck has the head on the inboard side and the nut on the outboard. If this is the same condition as yours, couldn't you just remove the shackle to frame bolt, then move the spring and shackle upward till it clears the frame?

Like I said, if I've got you misunderstood, I'm sorry.

------------------
99 F150 XLT SC 2WD, Fabtech Suspension, Bullseye Spindles, 3" body lift, Centerlines with 35" BFG Mud Terrains.

Old 07-16-2000, 02:17 AM
G - Thanks for responding.

It is the way you describe, but even when I remove the lower bolt I can't bend the spring enough in any direction for the upper bolt to clear. Maybe if the truck was on a full hydraulif lift or in a pit, then I could hang my body weight on the spring and pull it down enough. But on jackstands in my driveway, just couldn't move it enough.

As an alternative to cutting the bolt, I guess I could remove the U bolts attaching the spring to the axle housing as well as the front spring bolt. But I ran out of time that day and won't get a chance at it tomorrow.

Old 07-16-2000, 09:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dirt bike dave,

Did mine the way G Patricio said. Took out both shackle to frame bolts and then jacked up the whole axle until the spring to shackle bolts were high enough to clear the frame.

------------------
[img]//albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=688831&a=5017225&p=21112778&Sequence=7[/img]
2000 reg cab sb XLT 2WD
silver
3.55 LS
4 wheel antilock discs
K&N
17x8 TSW Trackers
285/60-17 Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes
Downey SST Tonneau
Gibson Stainless Split Rear Catback
2 inch drop shackles
Ford factory fog light kit
Superchip Flip Chip

[This message has been edited by 2000regcab54 (edited 07-16-2000).]

Old 07-16-2000, 11:21 AM
Please forgive me if I come close to insulting your intelligence -- but please be sure to get a properly hardened bolt. My hardware store sells very pretty cadnium-plated bolts that are sold by the pound -- except they are dead soft!

Check for at least grade 5 (get grade 8) for anything upon which your life or looks depends.

Lastly -- where did you get the drop kit? My truck is great -- but the little woman gets nosebleeds from the altitude.

<A HREF="http://www.net-link.net/~n8jg/y2k/mvc-007s.jpg" TARGET=_blank> [img]//www.net-link.net/~n8jg/y2k/mvc-007s_small.jpg[/img] </A>

------------------
Y2K™ Jim Gorka

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 07-16-2000, 02:12 PM
Smile

Y2K - No insult taken. I was planning on Grade 8. An extra couple of $ is well worth the peice of mind.

Got the drop kit from a local performance shop named Morgan's that mainly specializes in V-8 hop up/muscle car stuff, but also stocks some truck stuff. I think the Belltech part # is 6400, and is also used for GMs. I'm sure I paid full retail (like $75) but is was convenient. Belltech's direct # in Tracy, CA is 209-445-1602.

Wanted to drop 2" to level the truck for looks and ease loading & unloading of my bike. Any handling improvement will be icing on the cake.

[This message has been edited by dirt bike dave (edited 07-17-2000).]

Quick Reply: Rear Spring Eyebolt Removal Problems