F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.f150online.com/forums/suspension-28/)
-   -   Leaf Spring Rattle (https://www.f150online.com/forums/suspension/11340-leaf-spring-rattle.html)

kerkirk 11-09-1999 03:56 PM

Leaf Spring Rattle

On my '97 F-150, I have a rattle coming from my leaf springs. I traced it to two small rectangular brackets loosely mounted around the springs. Is this a common problem and does anyone know how to muffle this noise?

Pastmaster 11-09-1999 06:01 PM

I have overloads on my 93, and I was told to put motor oil on it. Like really thick. It stopped the rattle/clang, but you have to put it on every once and a while because it wears off.

crash1 11-23-1999 03:37 PM

Two things I have noted, one is there is a TSB relating to that rectangular bracket. Two is if the springs come unwrapped, the nylon insulator (between the leafs) comes out of the fastener.
In my experience, you cannot buy the insulator, you have to buy the entire spring. These are two different problems, but I believe they are related.

------------------
'98 4.6 5-sp F-150
We've come for your Tundra.

http://www.mcmullenargus.com/gallery...ge=1165&pub=12
trixters-playground@excite.com
www.truckinweb.com

RED-ONE 11-23-1999 04:32 PM

There was a TSB for the springs on the F150. They bolt clips in the springs to hold them together. I had this put on mine in the beginning. I also had very bad wheelhop too. In my investigating this I found that Ford springs these trucks very light for good ride. With light springs and the 60" spring length under torque loads the spring will wrap up causing wheelhop as it wraps up and then unwinds.
If you had this problem maybe your insulators fell out or the clips are loose and slipped towards the ends allowing the springs to chatter or bounce off each other.

I had a local spring company put an extra spring in the stock spring pack and put permanent clips with the insulators inbetween the springs. I now get the same smooth ride with about an extra 1000 lbs of carrying capacity and the rear raised about 2". I then cranked the front torsion bar adjusters about two turns to level the truck up. It rides like stock but is 2 inches taller now. I now get hardly any wheelhop at all (not that I try to spin the wheels very often but you know things happen).

Just my opinion...

------------------
RED-ONE
Red/Silver '97 F150 4x4 SC Lariat, Longbed, 5.4L, Auto, 3.55 LS, Power Grey Leather Captain Chairs, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, 10 disk CD changer, K&N air cleaner with housing modification, True Dual Exhaust out the back with chrome tips, 36" glasspacks, Nerf Bars, Extang soft top Tonneau cover, color matched front Bug Deflecter, window drip guards, cranked torsion bars, custom spring pack for rear, Michelin LTX A/T LT265/75R16.
5700lbs of rolling blue oval fun.

Bent6 11-23-1999 06:44 PM

There is a recall for this on 4x4's (not he rattle but the front binders). My 2wd was doing the same thing. I went to the dealer and bought(less than $20 for the pair) the front binders for the 4x4 recall. They stopped my rattle after I used them to replace my loose stock clamps. If you need, I'll get you the part#.

buckettruck 12-06-1999 01:16 AM

Bent6
could you please get me the part numbers? thanks.

------------------
97 f150 XL, white, with plain jane look, (going for the street sleeper look)
full airbox mods, K&N
sway bar and 2/4 drop next

crash1 12-07-1999 01:11 PM

Red is right, they bolt on an after-thought isolator. It looks like crap, but I guess they got tired of replacing the entire spring. This part should prevent the rattle, but I can't be sure on yours.

Bent6 12-20-1999 05:47 PM

Sorry for delay. The part # F85Z5A581AA. It costs about $15.00. It only binds the top two springs together.

------------------
97 XLT S/C Long Bed 2wd, 4.6 Romeo, 4R70W Trans., 3.55 LS, 181,000 miles

autotech 12-21-1999 01:21 PM

For your info. the safety recall which installed the clips on the front portion of the rear springs, on 97-98 F150 4x4's, was to prevent the middle spring leaf from puncturing the fuel tank when it breaks. Ford apparently underdesigned these springs.

Isn't this a rather bizarre, if not cheap, fix?

REDONE 12-22-1999 01:45 PM

That is one of the reasons that I went with the custom spring pack. It allowed me to carry an extra 1500-2000 lbs. added only 1-2 inches and cost about $75. I took the old springs off and they added a leaf put insulators in and bound them up. It now rides firmer but not harsh. I don't think the firmer springs are felt as much because I have a 157" wheelbase.
Ford wants their 1/2 ton trucks to ride as soft as a car because 99% of the time they are daily driven empty of loads.

------------------
'97 F150 Red/Silver Lariat, SC, 157" wheelbase.
Factory Equipment includes: 4x4, 5.4L, Automatic, 3.55LS, Grey leather, Power bucket seats, HD Tow package, Rear sliding window, Ford bed Liner, electric shift on the fly.

Aftermarket additions/modifications: Superchipped, Bug deflector, Window Drip edge guards, Sony 10 Disk CD changer, Chrome Nerf Bars, K&N Air filter, Air box Modification, 2-1/2" True Dual exhaust with chrome tips out the back, 36" glass packs, 265/75/16 Michelin LTX A/T's, custom rear spring pack, cranked torsion bars, Extang Tonneau cover.

Future additions: Hellwig bar, tinted front windows, still looking for "good" floor mats?.

lostwithford 01-07-2018 06:20 PM

leaf spring rattle

Did anyone answer the question about "'97 F-150, I have a rattle coming from my leaf springs. I traced it to two small rectangular brackets loosely mounted around the springs. Is this a common problem and does anyone know how to muffle this noise?"
I am having the same issue. The C-Clamps seem to be just hanging loose on the leaf springs on both sides. There are one set that is clamped and another just loose. This truck has been lifted and I just bought it and am new to all this. Any help would be appreciated.