SuperCrew

Torsion bars for 4x4s...Do you want to crank them up to raise your front end?

Old 03-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEVELING

TODAY I WENT TO LEVEL MY 01 SCREW AND WAS FOLLOWING DAVEMANS DIRECTIONS AND NOTICED THAT MY PASSENGER SIDE REAR WAS JUST SHY OF 1/4'' LOWER THAN THE DRIVER SIDE REAR.THE TRUCK HAS ALWAYS DROVE FINE WITH GOOD TIRE WEAR. I WENT AHEAD AND LEVELED THE FRONT AS CLOSE AS I COULD TO MATCH EACH SIDES REAR MEASUREMENT.I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY ONE SIDE WAS DIFFERENT THAN THE OTHER.CHECKED TIRE PRESSURE AND LOOKED FOR ANY THING OBVIOUS BUT JUST CANNOT FIGURE IT OUT.TRUCK STILL DRIVES GREAT , ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS WHY AND ANY SUGGESTIONS.

Old 03-15-2003, 11:24 PM
How is the ride after you raise the torsion bars? I asked a mechanic at the dealership and he said it would ride real rough if I raised it and recommended I leave it the factory height.

Old 03-16-2003, 09:11 AM
the ride

How is the ride after you raise the torsion bars? I asked a mechanic at the dealership and he said it would ride real rough if I raised it and recommended I leave it the factory height.

ON mine I had to make only 2 turns on the torsion bars and that raised mine about 1/2'' and I have not noticed ANY difference in the ride but I have noticed some super crews seem to sit a little more nose dowm than mine, so if you had to crank them 5 turns maybe you would notice a very slight difference. What I did was take a piece of paper and drew and ladeled each tire and (all 4) with measurements and exact number of turns to each torsion bar. I also used a black marker to mark the bolt on the front half before moveing them and in the metal near the bolt to line them up so I got EXACT turns. If the you do not like the ride you can always adjust back to original or in between just write every thing you do down so you dont forget.THIS IS ONLY A 15 MINUTE JOB. VERY VERY EASY. GOOD LUCK

Old 03-17-2003, 12:03 PM
It is a little stiffer, but it's a truck!

I asked several mechanics and none of them said that it would cause any problems. They did mention that it could make the ride stiffer thoug. For me I have the Bilstine shocks so my ride is already stiffer and the torsion bars cranked up more didn't make much of a diffrence to me.

If you want a 4x4 truck that sits up high your going to have that stiffness in your suspention.

There is one problem with making the front higher though, if you load the bed up with a lot of weight then the front will point up higher making the aero dynamics worse and your headlights will be pointing at the stars. Thats why the factory leaves them lower for the nicer ride and to compensate for a load in the back plus better aero dynamics.

Old 03-18-2003, 07:18 AM
lights to the sky

your right about the heavy load thing but yours being an offroad version might have already have it's front end raised higher than non offroad package trucks right from the factory. I know my freinds f150 extended cab offroad pack. was.AND EVERYONE REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR HEADLIGHT FOR PROPER ADJUSTMENT IF YOUR DECIDE TO LEVEL YOUR TRUCK.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:05 AM
H13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job DAVEMAN, I am will do the lift later this week and post some befores and afters.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Talking Yeehaw

Cool Info dude!! I can't wait to get home and slap the wrench on my truck and do this procedure.....this kicks ****!!!
Thanx a whole lot!!!

Old 06-07-2003, 04:00 PM
cranked

Thanks for the tip Daveman,
just finished with mine kinda ran into a question though, to get the measurements exactly i ran out of turns on driver side (5) bolt bottomed out so i backed up one to (4) then used the same diff. front to rear on passenger side? Anyway I luv the look and so far haven't noticed any ride difference yet.

Old 06-09-2003, 09:29 PM
NicePost

Good post and nicely done. I will use this one. Thanks!

Tom Hall

Old 06-10-2003, 08:21 AM
H13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cranked mine up but hit the stops at around 4 and 4 1/2 turns. Not quite level though. 32 1/2" front, and 33" Rear.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:56 PM
H,
sounds like we ran into the same thing, your measurements are almost identical too mine. Glad to know someone else hit the stops also, not that this is a good thing

Old 10-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Question Rear drivers side is higher than Rear passenger side?

Same problem as Hollywood. Rear passenger measurement is 3/4" lower than the Drivers side. Seemed like a big difference to me, but what the hell do I know. Wondering if anyone knows why or if this will affect anything.

Thanks,

Mike

2001 Supercrew 5.4 Gen III 4x4

Old 10-10-2004, 12:15 PM
I wonder if it is because the gas tank is on the drivers side and when full will add extra weight to that side so to compensate for the uneven weight they off set the height of each side?? try measuring with an empty tank then again with a full tank and see if there is a change...Just a guess............

Old 10-10-2004, 09:58 PM
I measured while I was at one quarter tank, so I'll check it out when I fill up tomorrow before work. It's worth a shot. I'm really itchin' to crank the front up. I'll let ya know then.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-12-2004, 03:12 PM
I leveled mine back in July, here's how it looks today:

Haven't checked out the write up yet since I didn't need it, but thanks again to wandell for his help when I did do mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torsion bars for 4x4s...Do you want to crank them up to raise your front end?