SuperCrew

How do you crank up torsion bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay Daveman... I saw that... you were way of the wall with that comment...

Old 10-17-2002, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DaveMan,

Thanks for the PDF'd instructions. My biggest complaint is that the truck isn't "level" - yet.

A frind of mine bought a "snowplow package" with his 250 SuperDuty just so it beefed up the front end to sit level. I like your approach much better!

Thanks again...

Old 10-17-2002, 03:03 PM
For those who have not cranked there 4x4 up yet. DO IT! It took me a while to get around to it, thanks DAVEMAN for pushing me...

It looks better and to me rides more like a big truck. You feel a bit larger out on the road. One warning though you will tend to speed a bit more as your front is higher and the perception of speed is less. So use your spedometer for a while to get a feel for it. I cranked mine up almost 2.5 inches to make is level and wow what a diffrence!

Also I just had Bilstiens shocks put on as well and its one of the best non-performance upgrades you can possibly do for your truck compared to the stock shocks. There even stiffer than the ranchos but if you payed the extra money for the FX4 you may not want to spend $60 a piece for these quite yet.

Next new tires, going from 265/70/17s(crappy stock) to 285/70/17s(awesome new mudders).

Old 10-17-2002, 05:53 PM
I just went out and did this modification. Did any of you who have done this find it necessary to adjust the headlights?

Old 10-17-2002, 06:07 PM
I have the SilverStars in my truck and so far no one has flashed there lights at me. I have only driven at night about 4 times since I raised the front though. I will let you know if people actually start flashing me. Now it also may be because people are getting used to the taller trucks lights bugging them and dont bother flashing anyone. who knows????

Old 10-17-2002, 10:06 PM
Daveman your instructions are great. Truck looks awesome leveled out !! Now I just meed my BFG ATKO 17" and I'll be all set.

I love the way it rides now. Feels a little more tight but not stiff or harsh. NICE.

I love this board. After 100 Sq ft of Dynamat, torsion bar tweek and camoflague sub and door speaker upgrades my truck feels like a new one again or maybe even better cause this one is paid for !

Took my buddy who has a BMW X5 SUV out for a drive and he was shocked how quiet the truck is after the dynamat. Stereo sounds great too.

Old 10-18-2002, 06:50 AM
Guys,

I don't know what to say other than I'm glad you found the instructions helpful and you are all welcomed. If each of us could take the time and do similar projects, we could have a collection of mod procedures that would make this website even more popular to Ford truck enthusiasts. The possibilites are endless...

Later,

~DM~

Old 10-20-2002, 05:49 PM
Post Uneven adjustment

Just changed oil and cranked up the torsion bars. Drivers 4 turns and pass 1 turn. 32" at the rear pass front was almost 32" but the drivers was about 31".

Has anyone considered that they were set low and uneven to account for :
Road Crown
Acceleration
Torque applied by the motor vs Frame
Load in bed or towing

I don't know...yet
cranked'em up anyhow

20 something posts away from a hundred and I'll be quiet

Old 10-20-2002, 08:07 PM
You pose some interesting questions

Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Torison Bar Adjustment

Anyone have the .pdf "instructions" again? I tried the link but it wouldnt work any longer. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Did this a while back when I was told by pizzaman and another member that i could fit 33's i have 285's on it but will switch eventually.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM
i did this when i had my 97 f150, it's easy

to the rear of the torsion bar - it sits in a bracket, the end has a lobe resting against a bolt. by turning the bolt in more, raises the lobe creating more torsion - lifting the truck.

first thing to do mark the position of the bolt, this will make counting turns easy. i lifted my truck by the frame using a floor jack taking some of the weight off made it easier to turn the bolt. crank it 5 complete turns and line up the marks. do this on both sides and measure the height to make sure it is still even. this should give you about an inch, if you need more - crank it some more, remember to turn both sides the same amount.

you may need to get an alighnment depending on how much you raise it.

you should also mark the socket by putting socket in place over bolt and referance the mark on the frame and mark socket then use it to count turns.

Last edited by FF301; 01-23-2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: content

Quick Reply: How do you crank up torsion bars?