SuperCrew

Supercrew bed length?

Old 04-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supercrew bed length?

I'm new here and to Ford trucks. Before I decide which version of the F 150 I will buy I need to know what will fit me and my hobbies best. How long is the bed with the tailgate up and also how long is it with a bed extender? Will mountain bikes fit under a roof level cap?
Thanks for your time and comments.

Old 04-23-2002, 01:59 PM
Bed Length Questions

Here is the info on the bed length

The Pickup Box

The F-150 SuperCrew is, first and foremost, a pickup. SuperCrew's foundation is the chassis of the acclaimed 139-inch wheelbase _SuperCab. The pickup box measures 51/2 feet long and is the same width at the wheel houses as the rest of the F-150 lineup. Because there is no other full-size truck like the F-150 SuperCrew, extensive customer research was conducted to gauge reaction to such a configuration. The response from work and personal use customers was overwhelming. Customers said they truly appreciated the extra interior space, not only for people, but for clean, dry and secure storage for things such as tools and groceries.

"Offering a more user friendly, comfortable interior while maintaining pickup versatility is a swift answer to a new customer demand," says Al Giombetti, Ford Truck group brand manager. "We've seen the steady growth in the pickup truck market for several years, led, in part, by the personal use area." For those times when the pickup box is called upon for hard work, SuperCrew meets the needs of most customers with 44.2 cubic feet of cargo capacity. Standard payload of 1,765 pounds is the same as F-150 SuperCab.

Larger items, such as 4x8 sheets of plywood, fit between the wheel houses and can be carried with the tailgate lowered. An optional Bed Extender allows more flexibility when transporting large items such as lumber, cinder blocks or firewood. The tubular steel bed extender is a curved cage unit which attaches to the rear of the pickup bed. With the tailgate lowered, the unit pivots from its stowed position within the box and locks into place extending the load-floor to seven feet. With the tailgate closed the stowed bed extender provides a convenient storage area, keeping smaller items from sliding around the bed while the truck is in motion. The Bed Extender can also be removed, allowing full, unobstructed use of the 51/2-foot box

Your other questions would depend on the size of the shell or cover you choose and the size of your bike. I think most of the pickups I've seen used to haul around bikes go with out a cover or shell.

Maybe with the front tire off of the bike it would fit in a roof level shell.

Old 04-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Question

Thanks for all the info Iwao, very informative. One more Ford newbie question.............. is the 5 1/2' bed on the Supercrew the same as the bed on the Sport Trac?
Thanks again.

Old 04-23-2002, 02:22 PM
OOPS..........

.......almost forgot, nice pic of your sweeta$$ ride.

Old 04-23-2002, 02:41 PM
Nah, the sport trac has a 4 foot fleetside bed. It's a lot smaller than the supercrew.

It's a very cool little truck along the lines of the Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma and the Dodge Dakota. Out of that group most come with a v-6 except for the Dodge that you can mucle up with two different v-8s.

I chose the Screw over those trucks becuase I wanted more comfort in the cabin for my wife and two kids. Plus in my opinion it is the best looking everyday truck out there. And when you look at the price they are charging for the smaller truck you'll be surprised how affordable the SCrew is.

The pic in my signature is right after getting it detailed for the first time and it is as stock as they come (except for the bed rug). The color is Dark Shadow Gray new to the 02 Screws. I love it.

Old 04-23-2002, 04:30 PM
I have driven a 2001 Sport Trac and was not impressed. I'm looking for a real truck so it's an F 150 or nothing.
Thanks

Old 04-23-2002, 11:10 PM
My vote on the bed extender......a pain in the neck, always in the way when the tailgates up, requires removal of tonneau cover to extend, generally useless, I think you'd be disappointed. Don't waste youre money.

Old 04-24-2002, 08:24 AM
H13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as MrBill has a negative opinion on the bed extender, there are equally as many who have positive opinions of it.

I for one like the bed extender. I have the hard tonneau with no problems flipping the extender over. The great advantage for me, with the extender, is that I can section off my bed to place smaller objects or luggage in the rear of the bed for easy access. In addition, with my driving style, the contents are not nearly flung around the bed as they would be with out the extender.

Old 04-24-2002, 09:00 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Mr. Bill

Would you be interested in selling your extender? I'll get it out of the way for you if you'd like. Let me know. THANKS!

RP

Old 04-24-2002, 09:25 AM
Before I purchased my '01 Harley F150, I looked at Sportrac too. I loved the utility of its bed. It's not bare metal (I don't think it's metal at all, actually) and you have hard tonneau option, so you can really dump things in there and use it as a large trunk. It's not big, so if you regularly haul big sheets of plywood, you shouldn't get a Sportrac anyway.

But I absolutely could not live with its interiors. My sis-in-law has an Explorer Sport, and I think Sportrac is based on that platform with interiors pretty much retained 100%. Eww. So much cheap plastic.

One shining jewel of the interior is the power rear window. Very nice and very slick. I hope all Ford truck gets it eventually.

Old 04-24-2002, 09:59 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
To answer your question about the mountain bikes - YES.
Pop of the front tire, lower the quick release seat.
Attach the front fork to a bike-tite clamp mounted to a 2x4.
Place rear tire against front of bed, 2x4 on floor
(brace as necessary towards tailgate to prevent sliding)

I could envision four bikes in a cap covered supercrew.
two facing forward, two towards rear.

Old 04-24-2002, 12:21 PM
Thumbs up

I like the bed extender as well. Very handy for smaller items. I probably use it more inside the bed than with it on the tailgate. Don't have any trouble with flipping mine over either with my hard tonneau. For most hauling jobs I do, the 5 1/2' bed is just fine.

Old 04-24-2002, 12:35 PM
The actually length of the bed is a little short of 6 feet. It is a little longer than 5 and a half feet. I have not missed the longer bed yet, and the tailgate extender is only a pain in my opinion because you have to take it out so it won't get stolen.

I have used it a few times, but really don't carry enough to warrent the use of it often. Won't sell it though.

Old 04-24-2002, 02:01 PM
D,

Just lock the tailgate with the extender in. You can not remove the extender with the tailgate locked. If you can remove it you have it upside down. Just an FYI.

I love my extender. Perfect place for a full size cooler so it won't slide around. Also fits 2 Decoy bags with 4 doz. decoys in it just right.

Willderness

Old 04-24-2002, 07:30 PM
Actually, you can remove the bed extender no matter what position it is in with the tailgate locked. I thought the same thing as you until I tried removing it. There have been posts in the past that discussed whether or not the extender could be removed. I remember the dealer telling me to always lock the tailgate to prevent theft of the extender and tailgate itself. So much for that advice. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean. Be careful not to pinch your fingers when doing this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercrew bed length?