SuperCrew

2003 F150 Screw takes 2 or 3 tries before starting up

Old 04-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 F150 Screw takes 2 or 3 tries before starting up

I've been living with this problem for about a years. I've replaced the battery and fuel filter, but made no difference.

Very first thing in the morning, doesn't matter if it's freezing cold or burning hot, it always starts without any problem. But after driving it, don't matter how long, then parked with engine off, it always takes 2 or 3 tries before starting up, and it doesn't matter how long the engine has been off that day.

It will crank and sound like it's cranking hard, but it will not actually turn on the engine. There is no warning light indicator, just the usual indicators. Turning it off then trying again will almost usually start up, occasionally had to give 3rd tries.

Once the engine has started, there's no trouble on the road, no unusual behavior.

My 2003 F150 Screw, now has 85K miles, always had it's normal maintenance, and never abused. Any suggestion to where I should look? Thanks.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do a fuel pressure test on it, both when it's warm and cold.

I suspect the fuel pump is getting weak. Do you run it alot with only 1/4 tank or less? That can be hard on the pump.

The other thing would the Fuel Pressure Regulator. That would be my guesses to start looking.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Sounds like a fuel issue. I had to change out my fuel pump on my 2002 at about 65,000 miles. If you have already done the fuel filter, then the pump would be my guess.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 AM
check your fuel pump to be sure it's working. i just changed my pump last week. it had similar symptoms. when you get a no start. turn the ignition to on but don't start it. listen for the fuel pump. it should a high pitch sound for approx. 2 seconds.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks for responses. I too think it may be a fuel pump related. Haven't had a chance to work on it due to my shoulder, so I just lived with it until couple of days ago.

Few days ago, "Service Engine Soon" lid up at the console, and at stop lights, the engine RPM fluctuated between 300 and 800 RPM, barely staying alive.

I dropped it off to local mechanic and picked it up next day. Whatever they did seem to fixed the issue of RPM and having to re-crank 2nd time. The bill was:

Scan -- $50.00
Elbow -- $14.95
Labor -- $85.00
Tax ----- $1.23
-------------------
Total --- $157.18

He said the "elbow" was broken (I wonder he could fix my shoulder), although I have no idea of what "elbow" he's talking about. Regardless, it's fixed and seem reasonable in price. I'm a happy camper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 F150 Screw takes 2 or 3 tries before starting up