F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   SuperCrew (https://www.f150online.com/forums/supercrew-63/)
-   -   Brighter fog light's (https://www.f150online.com/forums/supercrew/40586-brighter-fog-lights.html)

FALLSCREW 02-01-2001 11:44 PM

Brighter fog light's

Does anyone know of anybody who make's a higher watt fog lamp bulb's? (just the regular white)What is the wattage of the current bulb's? Will going to a higher watt bulb have any effect on the wiring being able to handle the wattage?
I like the headlight's on this truck,but the fog's are kind of dim.

------------------
2001 Supercrew XLT 4X4
BLACK W/DARK GRAPHITE
5.4 EFI V8
17" 10 SPOKE'S W/BFG AT'S
3.55 LIMITED SLIP
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
SKID PLATE'S
POWER MOONROOF
SLIDING REAR WDW.
TRAILER TOW PKG.
BED EXTENDER
CLOTH CAPTAIN'S CHAIR'S
STAINLESS STEP BAR'S
GIBSON SIDE SWEPT
WINDOW TINT
VENT VISOR'S
LINE-X-BED LINER
FORD MOLDED MUD FLAP'S
K&N FILTER
HUSKY FLOOR LINER'S
HEADLIGHT/FOG SWITCH MOD.

2001 02-02-2001 03:47 PM

FALLSCREW...I believe the bulbs in the fog/driving lamps are H3. These you can get at any auto or performance shop in the "Blue" or "Superwhite" lights.

Regular headlights = 9007
Driving/fog Lamps = H3

Good luck!

So. NH SCREW Owner 02-11-2001 04:56 AM

FALLSCREW

I had been searching for brighter fog lamps too. I have a Gen III Lariat. I don't know if all SCREWS have the same fog lamps but I suspect they do.

I replaced the GE 9145 42 watt fog lamp bulbs that came with the truck with standard off the shelf 65 watt 9005's. The 9005's are the high beam bulb in dual headlight systems and are available everywhere.

Somewhere in the past I had seen a cross reference that said the 9005's were a direct replacement. When I tried to install the 9005's I discovered that this is not 100% true, however. The 9005's are ALMOST an exact fit, BUT one of the bulb's retaining tabs is in a slightly different location. Unfortunately the difference is enough to prevent the bulb from being installed without some modification to the tab with a file. You will need to remove a small portion of the tab to allow installation. The removal of the tab material still allows the bulb to be securely retained.

First remove one of the bulbs then remove the plastic bulb retainer from the back of one of the lamps (two screws). Use this retainer to determine which tab and how much of the tab on the bulb has to be removed. Once you have the bulb and this bulb retainer together the problem tab and required modification will be obvious.

The 9005's are not only brighter (23 more watts) but the pattern is better. I am very pleased with the results.

------------------
Gen III Lariat, 5.4L, 4X4, Oxford White/AZ Beige, Beige leather bench seats, Ford Steps, Sliding RW, 3.55 LS

Added - WeatherTech window covers, Omni bug deflector, DrawTite Class III hitch, Husky Rear molded flaps, Custom rubber bed mat, SportMasters hinged vinyl tonneau

[This message has been edited by So. NH SCREW Owner (edited 02-11-2001).]

Sonoma Super Crew 02-12-2001 11:24 PM

Having just read the post about the 9005 bulbs I had to try it out. I was able to replace my 9145's with the 9005 without any filing. The new bulbs make a BIG difference in the lighting. The coverage to the side of the vehicle is great. The only down fall so far is that I do get some head light blinking from on coming cars. Total upgrade was under $20.00, give it a try.

------------------
2001 F150 SuperCrew, Lariat,4x4,5.4,Tow,Slider,6 CD,Moon Roof,60/40,Two Tone,Snugtop Campershell,Yakima rack system. Color:White/Silver
Photopoint.com

FALLSCREW 02-12-2001 11:43 PM

SO.NH & SONOMA,
Thank's for the advise SO.NH sound's like it will work out good.

Thank's for the feedback Sonoma.

I picked up a set on the way home from work.
can't wait to put them in.
I've also posted this in aftermarket post to see what everyone else is doing,but this seem's a nice cheap easy fix.2 bulb's $14.00

Hey Sonoma,Your truck sit's pretty level.Did you crank your t-bar's.I was also thinking of doing that mod.Let me know what you think!
Maybe that's why your getting flashed with the fog'on.Frontend seem's hihger than mine.
Did either of you do the headlight switch mod.Work's great I like it!

sorry to ramble on & on & on .........

docker 02-13-2001 02:57 AM

Does anybody know if the wiring will support the extra wattage of the new bulbs.

By the way I did the headlight foglight switch modification last weekend and it works great. Why I didn't have the courage to chop up the switch before I don't know.

While I'm at it does anyone know whether the modification which leaves the low beam on when the high beam is switched on can be supported by the current wiring. I'd hate to burn up my truck!

------------------
F150 2001 Supercrew, 4.6L, 4X4, XLT, Medium Toreador Red, Medium Graphite 60/40 bench, limited slip, 17” 10 spoke aluminum wheels, skid plates, sliding rear window, remote entry, 6 disc CD changer, power driver’s seat, towing package, Rhino Liner, Access Roll-Up Cover.

So. NH SCREW Owner 02-13-2001 06:06 AM

SONOMA

Interesting you didn't need to modify the bulbs. Actually I was able to install a 9005 bulb on the drivers side without modifying it. It went in kind of hard and when I tried to remove it I could't do it. On the passengers side the bulb just wouldn't go in so I used the the modification technique I described. I figure when the time comes to replace the drivers side I'll remove the retainer to get the bulb out if necessary.
I figured it was just easier to describe the mod than explain all that. I'll be curious to see how others make out. When I did the mod, we were changing from 50 degree to 10 degree temperature with the aid of 40-50 MPH winds so I didn't linger outside!

Maybe not all 9005 bulbs are exactly the same? BTW - the 9005's I installed were made by Sylvania in USA (maybe right here in the Osram/Sylvania plant in Hillsboro, NH). The 9145's were GE and made in Hungary.

Glad you are happy with the results. As I said I felt they were not only brighter but had a better pattern. I noted that the end of the 9145 bulbs are coated with opaque black stuff (paint?)and the 9005's are not. As the filament orientation is the same, this may explain the pattern difference.

I've not experienced any flashing from oncoming drivers yet. Maybe yours are aimed slightly higher than mine? I don't think the aim is adjustable on the F-150 fogs like it was on my previous vehicle. I do 95% of my driving on low beam due to traffic density so good fog lighting is important to me.

docker

r.e. wiring probles due to current increase

Current for 42 watt lamps would be 3.5 amps (Amps = Power/Volts or 42W/12V). The 23 more watts (42 + 23 = 65) is a 1.9 amp increase or about 5.4 amps total(65W/12V). I would guess the wiring is probably at least 18 AWG. I don't remember the max current for 18 AWG, but 16 AWG lamp cord is good for 13 amps. Also, the voltage is actually about 14 so the current is probably really 5 amps.
There may be some small voltage drop at the bulb due to current increase and resistance of the wire, but judging by bulb intensity it is not significant.

I would be more worried about if the increase heat wiould have any effect on the housing or lens. It sure won't with the temperatures we are experiencing in NH recently so I'm waiting til spring to worry about this one.

I do have a concern about the heat issue with the hi/lo beam at the same time headlight mod as you have almost doubled the wattage (55W (lo) + 65W (hi)). I wonder what this might do to the plastic lens assembly long term.

BTW - If you want to learn about auto lighting go to http://lighting.mbz.org. I got the URL from another F-150 online member (Whiskey Tango). This Daniel Stern guy has forgotten more about the subject than most people care to know. He DOES NOT recommend doing upgrades over factory wattage due to heat issue.

------------------
Gen III Lariat, 5.4L, 4X4, Oxford White/AZ Beige, Beige leather bench seats, Ford Steps, Sliding RW, 3.55 LS

Added - WeatherTech window covers, Omni bug deflector, DrawTite Class III hitch, Husky Rear molded flaps, Custom rubber bed mat, SportMasters hinged vinyl tonneau

[This message has been edited by So. NH SCREW Owner (edited 02-13-2001).]

FALLSCREW 02-13-2001 10:20 AM

SO.NH screw,
OK you had me all set to do this mod. until you mentioned the part of Daniel Stern who said never to upgrade wattage.Are you talking about the fog's or the hi/lo beam on at the same time? DO you kmow what the assembly is made from that it might melt? plastic?

With the hi/lo option you probably would'nt have them on for extended period's of time like you would with fog's.Sometimes mine are on for hour's at a time.

Are you worried about your stuff melting when it get's hot outside? I've heard people talking about that on the boards but I don't think it's really happened to anyone has it?

------------------
2001 Supercrew XLT 4X4
BLACK W/DARK GRAPHITE
5.4 EFI V8
17" 10 SPOKE'S
3.55 LIMITED SLIP
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
SKID PLATE'S
POWER MOONROOF
SLIDING REAR WDW.
TRAILER TOW PKG.
BED EXTENDER
CLOTH CAPTAIN'S CHAIR'S
STAINLESS STEP BAR'S
GIBSON SWEPTSIDE
WINDOW TINT
VENT VISOR'S
LINE-X-BED LINER
FORD MOLDED MUD FLAP'S
K&N FILTER
HUSKY FLOOR LINER'S
BFG 265/70/17 AT/KO

So. NH SCREW Owner 02-13-2001 08:07 PM

FALLSCREW

Sorry, I didn't mean to indicate either headlights or fog lights update was a bad thing to do. I was just telling docker that the heat produced as a result of the increased power was probably a bigger concern than the current increase caused by the increased power. Frankly I don't think either are a concern or I wouldn't have made the change.

The 65W PLUS the 55W for the headlights MAY not be an issue either. I'd just like to hear from them that's done it. I'm not doing it because I rarely get to use my hi beams anyway (too many cars on the road here).

I agree the duty cycle of the fogs is higher than the headlights BUT the % of power change is less and the total power is 55W less. Hard to determine what this means to the original design goals.

Sorry, but I've been an engineer for 35+ years and can't help analyzing things. The wife complains about it all the time!

Try the fog lamp change. It's inexpensive and I think you'll be happy with the results.

------------------

[This message has been edited by So. NH SCREW Owner (edited 02-13-2001).]

Sonoma Super Crew 02-13-2001 10:46 PM

FALLSCREW, It must be the way the truck is parked. No mod.s to the front end.

SO.NH SCREW OWNER, I also used the Sylvania bulbs, guess I was just lucky. As far as other car's blinking there head lights at me, tomorrow morning will be my first real test with driving with the new bulbs.

------------------
2001 F150 SuperCrew, Lariat,4x4,5.4,Tow,Slider,6 CD,Moon
Roof,60/40,Two Tone,Snugtop Campershell,Yakima rack system & a Disneyland Mickey Mouse antenna ball. Color:White/Silver
Photopoint.com

FALLSCREW 02-13-2001 11:24 PM

SO.NH & SONOMA,
OK I did the mod. & was out driving this eve.
Work's great! I used the sylvania 65watt high beam's.Mine also need to be modified so what I did was remove the retainer (2 screws)
position the light in the correct position & put the retainer back into place.When we get some warmer temp's I will take it apart & alter the bulb's or the retainer so when I get burnout's I won't have to modify every bulb.

The bad part about this is that now I have to find something else on the truck to tinker with or modify.ANY SUGGESTION'S???

Have either of you done the headlight/fog
switch mod ? I works nice my fog's stay on with parking lamp,low beam's & high beam's.

Thank's for all your help

Mike

------------------
2001 Supercrew XLT 4X4
BLACK W/DARK GRAPHITE
5.4 EFI V8
17" 10 SPOKE'S
3.55 LIMITED SLIP
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
SKID PLATE'S
POWER MOONROOF
SLIDING REAR WDW.
TRAILER TOW PKG.
BED EXTENDER
CLOTH CAPTAIN'S CHAIR'S
STAINLESS STEP BAR'S
GIBSON SWEPTSIDE
WINDOW TINT
VENT VISOR'S
LINE-X-BED LINER
FORD MOLDED MUD FLAP'S
K&N FILTER
HUSKY FLOOR LINER'S
BFG 265/70/17 AT/KO

docker 02-16-2001 12:11 AM

I did the headlight foglight modification with great fear and trepidation that I would screw something up. Works great. Do it.

2001 02-20-2001 10:18 AM

Just did the fog/driving lamp 9005 upgrade. Pulled the stock Ford 9145 bulbs out, burned down to the auto parts store and picked me up some regular $4.70 9005 bulbs...the 9005 highbeam bulbs fit in perfect without any modifications and HOLLY COW...WHAT A DIFFERENCE...WAY WAY WAY BRIGHTER!

Everyone needs to do this change out...highway night driving is much much better and for jus a few bucks to boot!

YEE HA.....LET THERE BE LIGHT!

Airial 02-20-2001 10:49 AM

Fog lights are illegal in Nebraska.
Highway Patrol pulled me over the other night and gave me a warning ticket for having my fog lights on.
Thank goodness I wasn't speeding.
Airial

------------------
2001 SC 4x4 XLT
Island Blue/Silver
17" Wheels 10 Spoke,5.4L
Sliding Rear Window Factory Boards
Black Husky Floor Liners
Ford LowProfile Bugshield
Ford Molded Mud Flaps

rotts4u 02-20-2001 07:29 PM

I thought lighting of vehicles was controlled by the FEDERAL DOT. Not each state. Otherwise Ford would have to make 50 different trucks for every state. I would fight against that if anyone gets a ticket for it.

don

Ps I am not an attorney but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night