SuperCrew

Mud in taillight housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2000, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mud in taillight housing

I took my new white supercrew out in some mud last weekend and found that the taillight housings fill with mud from the rear tires. Every time I rinsed, more dirt and gravel would come out. Has anybody found a way to cover the holes on inside of housings to keep mud out?

------------------
'01 Lariat Supercrew Oxford white, 4X4, 5.4 V8, limited slip, skip plates, tow package, captains chairs.

Old 03-14-2000, 12:22 AM
check your back up lights to see if they still work. took my truck deerhunting last year and after a couple mudholes noticed muck in the housing and oh oh no more back up lights. sorry haven't got fix yet.

Old 06-21-2000, 10:17 AM
Question

Has anyone else noticed water coming out from under the tail light lens cover? Have you found a cure? I took the lens out to have a look and it looks like something should be added to close off the direct path of water from the tires to the tail lights. I wonder if it wasn't a concern with everything being plastic?

Old 06-21-2000, 01:21 PM
Thumbs down

The water/mud around the lights bothers me too. It just takes one trip in the rain or through a puddle and I have dirt all around my lights. Wonder if it is possible to put a bead of clear silicone on the inside to stop this? The step-sides that use these lights may not have the problem because it is not such a direct path in the fender well to the lights. (?)

------------------
'01 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat, 5.4, Amazon Green/Gold, med parchment, Moonroof, captains, 6cd, skids, slider.

Old 07-12-2000, 01:06 PM
I was at the dealer today to ask if there was a notice out on the water in the lights,,, nothing yet. They said its the first they have heard of it. Has anyone else found a cure? Either a larger mudflap or a large rubber gromet to block the holes in the bottom of the tailight?

Old 07-12-2000, 05:24 PM
I finally decided to clean out behind the tail lights by removing them from the truck. What I found really surprised me. I expected to see a couple of small holes for the wiring harness to go through, instead I found large (several inches square) holes that looked like they were cut out with a Sawsall. When you look through these holes you can see directly to the rubber on the tire. No wonder it got so muddy inside. It is going to take a wheel well liner or a lot of duct tape to cover these holes. Has any body else pulled their tail lights to see the same thing?

Old 07-12-2000, 09:48 PM
If you think those holes were big, look at the top of the housing, directly above the two on the bottom.
I put some rubber over the holes, above and below {like a sandwich] and connected them with plastic push in connectors, like those used on doorpanels. I then hung a flap just inside the one in the wheelwell. You wouldn't see it unless you were trying to find it. We'll see if it made any difference next rain.

[This message has been edited by Thad (edited 07-12-2000).]

Quick Reply: Mud in taillight housing