SuperCrew

Good Deal/Bad Deal...You Decide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2000, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Good Deal/Bad Deal...You Decide?

Sometimes we get caught up in the PRICE we paid for our truck. The dollar amount is what we like to advertise, but what about the financing?

So I'm seeking entertainment...I go to Future Ford just to see if 1) I can get out of my order, 2) Get a better deal.

1) No problem.

2) Current deal

Price: $30,027 (Factory sticker $32,025)
Financed: $22,309 at 6.75%
Loan Term: 60 months
Payments: $439
Other: Free bed extender, and 14,000 miles added to basic warranty.

My Future Ford experience:

We found a Crew with a factory sticker of $32,800. Their mark-up, $35,500. Same options except this one had keyless entry, cab steps and power seat. I didn't want the cab steps and was told they could be taken off.

In my mind, I was getting ready to loose the 14,000 extra warranty miles in exchange for power seats and keyless entry. Combined with THEIR wanting my business, I figure we have an even playing field. Let's talk.

To get me to sit down, I was assured they would match my price and finance rate. Once sitting in their domain...

1st attempt: We matched your price, plus added the other options on. Monthly payment, $529 including tax. (I told you guys, so that we don't waste eachothers time, I wanted the same price and financing. I'm paying taxes in cash so that does not need to be factored in.)

2nd attempt: We got it down to $474. (What's the finance rate? They always seem to avoid that part.) 8.9%. (I told you guys I wanted the same price and financing.) But your getting the other options. (Yes and loosing the extra warranty, besides, I told you from the beginning, if YOU choose to match my price and financing, the extra options are on YOU. I did'nt ask to drive away in a Crew today, you're trying to lure me in with the thought. At this point a simple YES or NO will do. Can you match it or not?)

3rd attempt: We got the payment down to $444. (Hey, maybe we're getting somewhere, a little more bardering exchanged, what is the finance rate?) The question was avoided. (I'd like to know what the finance rate is and how much will be paid in interest for the term of the loan. The salesman left the table) 7.9% for 72 months, but that's a great monthly payment. (Whoa! I missed the 72 months part. And you still have not told me how much I was going to pay over the term of the loan. Thank you! Can I have my order acceptance and approved financing back. A simple NO 2 hours ago would have done)

What did I learn?

I haven't done the math. But should I even waste my time. I gave them everything I had up front; price, financing, term of the loan, etc. They assured me they would match the price and the financing to get me to sit down. So why would I accept any other terms? Why would I go for a higher interest rate and longer loan term? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out in the long run, they will make what they want from the truck, regardless of the price they matched, through the loan and interest rate.

Disclaimer:

Are all dealers like this? Absolutely not.

Are there better deals to be had than what I currently have? Sure, depending on where you are and the dealer your dealing with.

At the end of the day, I'm smiling . I ordered through the agent I did because in the 5 years I've lived in Sacramento, CA I've found it common practice to mark-up vehicles 3-5,000 above factory sticker. Combined with this being a new truck, I knew the deals would be limited. Hats off to those of you who have obtained better deals and enjoyed your dealer experience. For me, in the long run, it's going to be worth the wait to have ordered and not bought off the lot.

[This message has been edited by USAF K9 (edited 04-26-2000).]

Old 04-12-2000, 09:27 PM
Question

I haven't ordered yet but here's the quote I got from a broker through my credit union. Please let me know what you think.

SC xlt 4x4
two-tone
Bench front
17" wheels and tires
LSD
cab steps
engine block heater
skid plates
sliding rear window
trailer tow pkg

$29,786 before tax
I can get 7.75% for up to 72 months through my credit union.

Can I do better? What about on the financing through ford or ?

Old 04-13-2000, 12:42 AM
hey cooper,

i'd hate to steer you wrong. i think the total price of the vehicle looks great considering the msrp before options is $29,310. however, some of my counterparts may or may not agree. there is a thread on one of these pages where guys are talking about getting 3 and 5% over invoice. what invoice is and if it varies from dealer to dealer i don't know. i'm sure someone will educate us.

as i stressed earlier, i'll be curious to see the big picture (i.e. loan terms and finance rates) of some of our compadres. that will give us a good idea if we're on track.

while talking with these dealers, they never eluded to whom would do the financing. they mentioned they had over 100 possible financers. ford credit was never mentioned.

my loan was pre-approved prior to interest rates going up, so from what i'm told 6.75 is as good as it gets. my credit union increased their rate to 7.25% for 60+ months two weeks ago.

good to see you in this forum. if you want to learn about the SuperCrew, these guys will educate you. i've educated a few dealers in the last month. word of warning...if you order, the wait is almost UNBEARABLE! we'll all agree on that for sure.

Old 04-13-2000, 03:10 AM
Lets see, this is a lease of course, but this is what I think we got

Sticker of $32,???
5K down
3.9%
$423/mo
coulda been cheaper but got 15K miles a year, and security system, and free bedliner.
Buy back will be at I believe $19K but intend on rolling over to something new anyways. A good deal if you plan on rolling over every few years.

------------------
2001 Super Crew
MAMA's BEAST
Amazon Green, 5.4L, 3.55, Tow package, Capt chairs, bedliner. Many more to come

Old 04-13-2000, 01:54 PM
LRM,

Thanks for the feedback. I've finally reached a level of financial freedom myself but on a smaller scale. No debts other than this truck. Saving for a house when I retire at age 38 (4 yrs) from the military. Lived through the agony of credit cards and a 1/4 of my income going to interest. Although we have a 60 month loan, at double/triple the monthly payment that will be dramatically reduced, at the same time allowing for the single monthly payment should unexpected expenses pop up.

Old 04-13-2000, 03:00 PM
LRM
USAF K9:

Everyone knows the debt load with which they are personally comfortable. Unfortunately, a lot of people are OK with feeling uncomfortable and the effects can be disastrous.

Obviously, you're in a situation in which you are comfortable and you have a few more options. I've done without a lot of things I wanted because it would have made me uncomfortable. My prior posting was not an attempt to berate you or anyone else for financing a Supercrew. It's the norm, not the exception. A vehicle is important in today's society and you might as well get one you like. It's just my philosophy to avoid debt whenever possible and, fortunately, I've managed to make it work. Your financing experience just re-enforced my commitment to my philosophy.

Soapbox mode off. Now back to our favorite topic - the Supercrew.

I saw a white one at lunch today with the 17 inch wheels. I parked right next to it in the Carl's Jr. parking lot. Fortunately, white doesn't show drool. I'm going to go nuts waiting until the first week of May now that I know my truck has been built

Old 04-14-2000, 12:27 AM
LRM
USAF K9

What a bunch of weasels! They tried to sneak 72 months past you without blinking? Never focus on the payment. The devil is always in the details. You played it correctly.

Fortunately, I have never had to finance a vehicle in my life. I never buy anything for which I cannot pay cash (except my house, it's the only debt I've ever had and I'm 18 months away from owning it). Yes, it means I run my vehicles into the ground and I go longer between purchases. I had one car for 17 years before I finally replaced it in '98. The Supercrew will be my 5th vehicle in 19 years of marriage and, for the first time, we will have three vehicles. Now that I have one teeenage son who is driving and a daughter who turns 16 in June, we need another vehicle.

It's just my personal philosophy (no offense intended to anyone), but, when it comes to interest, there are two kinds of people; those who understand it and, those who pay it. I chose not to pay it and make the necessary adjustments elsewhere. That's how I deal with financing. It might not work for everyone, but, it works for me and I'm sticking with it

Old 04-14-2000, 01:05 AM
LRM,

didn't feel berated at all. i'm feeling good with my personal situation and being aware of your philosophy is motivating. keeps a guy focused.

the bickering i was doing with the salesman was over a white crew. nice color. probably should have chosen white since that was the wifes favorite. sight unseen, i whimped out.

Old 04-15-2000, 11:21 AM
I bought my SC 4x4 Lariet for $30,148.44. This was for a SC 4x4 Lariet with EVERY available option except the moon roof. I walked in to the dealership with 15K cash and told them I wanted the white SC that was out front. He tried to charge me the sticker price. I guess he thought I was some kind of idiot or something. I told him here's 15K(I placed it in his hand). Now I want that white SC outside but I am only gonna give you 33K TOTAL. Thats to include tax, title, and liscence. He said no way. I said well let me see your manager. When I put the 15K in the general managers hand and told him my offer he barely hesitated in accepting my offer. I did see him sweating when he was trying to work up the #'s on the deal. I financed the remaining balance of 18K at 6.9% for 60mo. My payments was $356/mo but are $389 now. I added disability to the financing.

Old 04-15-2000, 11:32 PM
Guys, Guys, hold up. Now, i like the supercrew alot, but you all are paying over
30 grand? I can get an xlt expedition here is little rock for 26,000. What in the world makes the supercrew cost more than the expedition? it should be the other way around! I guess demand sets the price this high, all I can figure. At any rate, 2 to 4 years from now when production is up and demand down, prepare for a big loss on resale or trade in!

Old 04-16-2000, 01:32 AM
Andrew S,
Sorry if I sound snippy but who the hell was talking about an expedition? We bought SuperCrews because we wanted 4 door "trucks" not cars. My wife wouldn't be caught dead in a "mom car"(no offense meant toward moms!).If we had wanted to buy $26,000 expeditions we would have but I dont believe that price was a consideration for most of us here. We wanted a particular vehicle(2001 SuperCrew) and were willing to pay what we had too to get it. We are very happy with our new "truck" and glad we didn't settle for something less than what we wanted. As far as resale goes we think this truck is a keeper but if we do find something else we want we will pay what it takes to get it too.

------------------
2001 Supercrew XLT 4x4.
5.4L, 3:55ls, tow package, heavy-duty electrical and cooling, skid plates 17" 10 spoke wheels, moonroof, bed extender(still waiting for it), rear slider, dark graphite int. and bright a** red ext.
mysupercrew.com

Old 04-16-2000, 10:23 AM
Don't you think your Expedition comparison is just a mite bit flawed? True, a stripped down base XLT 2WD Expedition has an INVOICE price of $26,035 - but that's hardly a comparison to what most SCrew buyers are considering.

I like the Expedition as much as the next person. I almost bought one. However, the SCrew better meets my needs, has almost identical (realistic) seating, and - with the same options - prices out from $3K to $5K LESS than the Expy.

I just wish the SCrew came in Med. Wedgewood Blue like the Expy.

Old 04-16-2000, 09:09 PM
You guys did not get my point. I aint sayin' the expedition would be more preferential (better, greater, more wonderful, cooler, etc...) than a supercrew - my comparison was over PRODUCTION COSTS. Personally, I would rather have the supercrew myself. Pure and simple, there is no way it costs more to make a supercrew than an expedition, hence my observation on the PRICE DIFFENTIAL. Its your money, spend it how you like, and more power to you, etc. etc. etc.... Sheesh, some people are so sensitive!

Old 04-17-2000, 12:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Nobody has mentioned TRADE-INS.
That's where they normally get you.
They rarely give you what your trade is worth, or they fanagle other #'s to make up the difference.
Selling outright is the only way around this.

Old 04-17-2000, 12:51 AM
Thumbs down

Super Crew friends,
I am not sure where most of you are buying the truck but it seems to me your paying to much. I am in San Diego and have see all the colors and options in person on the Super Crews. I have a deal on the table for 28,450 for a 4x4 XLT 5.4 and all the options except the moon roof. Sticker price of 33,255. I mean all of them! Hell they even have bed liners here. Maybe it's the competition out here. We have 7 Ford dealers in our area. The only reason I haven't gotten the Crew yet is I'm still working on my trade value of a 97 F150 4x4 XLT loaded, ORP with only 19,500 miles. KBB is 19,580 And most offers are 17-18 range. (not good enough) I will get the SC but I can wait it out for better financing that usually takes place at the end of the year. Ford does have 6.9 and 7.9 on the SC. Just my thoughts friends and I didn't mean to anger anybody. Bottom line.... Keep working the dealers and you will get a good deal. In the meantime, I will keep reading and learning from you folks and dream about my future SC in Toreador Red.

------------------

Quick Reply: Good Deal/Bad Deal...You Decide?