SuperCrew

Clicking Noise in 2001 Screw 5.4

Old 05-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking Noise in 2001 Screw 5.4

I have an f150 2001 5.4l supercrew. When I start the truck up from a cold start it has a clicking noise coming from the engine compartment. However I noticed today that once the engine heats up the noise disappears, I checked this morning when I got to work. I can't hear it when I have the windows up so I'm not real sure how long it has been making this noise. I was told that it sounds like a lifter or a exhaust leak. I have been also told it could be the power stearing pump. None of these seem similar to me so I'm not sure where to start. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Dan

Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Without hearing it first hand it's hard to say, but I'd I'd guess lifter chatter. My '01 Expy 5.4L started to get a little chatter at around 60K or 70K miles. It also started burning a bunch of oil which could be the cause of the chatter. Anyway, I swiched to Syn oil and the consumption and chatter stopped. Never heard a power steering pump make a clicking noise.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by bridge
Without hearing it first hand it's hard to say, but I'd I'd guess lifter chatter. My '01 Expy 5.4L started to get a little chatter at around 60K or 70K miles. It also started burning a bunch of oil which could be the cause of the chatter. Anyway, I swiched to Syn oil and the consumption and chatter stopped. Never heard a power steering pump make a clicking noise.
I am alreay using motercraft 5w-20. That is synthetic isn't it. I was told it was anyway. As for mileage I am nearing 60k miles but I havn't noticed any oil consumption, yet. I will keep an eye out for that. If it is a lifter how I go about fixing that, and or is it a big problem?

Thanks for the quick reply, a buddy stopped me in the parking garage the other day and told me about it or I still might not have heard it. Know it is causing me some concern.

Dan

Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 PM
The Motorcraft 5w-20 is a synthetic blend which means it's part conventional and synthetic. If it is a lifter making the noise it might not be that big of a problem. Some engines just have lifter chatter after so many miles. Fixing it basically means getting a valve job. It involves removing the top of the engine and re-specing/replacing some lifters/springs/valves. In other words some major labor $$$.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clicking Noise in 2001 Screw 5.4