SuperCrew

Slow speed transmission clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow speed transmission clunk

I've looked for this topic in here, but haven't found it...please excuse me if it's been discussed at length before. BUT, I own a 2003 FX4 SuperCrew with the 5.4L w/ 26000 miles...I have noticed that when moving at what you could describe as "idle" speed (kinda just rolling on its own idle power), and then you depress the accelerator, then back off, then try to depress it again (like when you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic), the transmission "clunks" or "jerks" real bad at times. its almost as if the driveshaft catches up with some slack in the driveline.

If you have experienced this, and your dealer has fixed it, can you tell me how they fixed it?

thanks guys,

robert

Old 07-09-2005, 11:55 PM
I sure would like to hear what anyone has to say about this. I have exactly the same problem with my '03. Sometimes if is almost a neck snapping experience.

I've just kinda figured that's the way the transmission is.

-J

Old 07-10-2005, 11:18 PM
This has been addressed actually in the past...but to fill you in almost all of us with screws have this problem. Mine does this when I decel to around 20 mph and then step on the gas pedal, it THUNKS into the lower gear.

It also does this when I accelerate to 30 and let off the gas, the tranny waits a few seconds and THUNKS into 3rd (or 4th).

Basically ford says this isn't a problem and won't affect your truck or trannys performance. I mitigated the problem with a superchips tuner and adjusted the shift points and pressures. The shift points are a bit higher in my truck and that seemed to help a little...hence a little. It still does it.

Hope that helps. Try searching for tranny thunk, or hard shifts...I think that is how I discovered this a while back.

--Justin

Last edited by KingJR; 07-10-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:48 PM
I had a similar problem with my 02 Lariat 4x4...the last trip to the dealer before the warranty expired I had them look at it...they indicated there was nothing wrong, however it shifted a hellofa lot different after that. It went back to its old ways a few weeks later, and I have lived with it ever since.

Regards!

Old 07-18-2005, 12:43 PM
I have a 2005 Ford F-150 Lariat with a Roush sport package. I had the same problem and took into the dealer. What they did was "swipe" the computer and updated the transmission shifting program. This problem has nothing to do with your truck mechanically, it was simply a bug in the original program. Your dealer should be able to take care of it. There is an official solution message circulating throught the Ford's internal computers for this type of problem. After they did that to my truck, I have not heard a clunk.

Quick Reply: Slow speed transmission clunk