F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   SuperCrew (https://www.f150online.com/forums/supercrew-63/)
-   -   Won't spin tires (https://www.f150online.com/forums/supercrew/201365-wont-spin-tires.html)

The professor 07-04-2005 11:44 PM

My friends mom has an '03 supercrew lariat with 305 buckshot mudders and he says it will spin the tires but I think he's lying. He has to be lying because theres no way it would do that even if he powerbraked. These trucks are heavy and not really meant to spin the tires but I do it in my truck all the time :rocker:

Tuna 07-08-2005 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
nope only horse power to weight ratio

it is actually nothing to do with HP. it is torque that spins the tires.

jpdadeo 07-08-2005 06:24 PM

hp & torque are synonymous
you can't have one without the other

ZelenVR 07-08-2005 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by jpdadeo
hp & torque are synonymous
you can't have one without the other

Sure you can, look at rice burners. The ones with the huge blowers on their 4cyl engines make way more HP than torque. Now you cant have one at the total exclusion of the other, but you can have lopsided numbers on them. I know the HMMWV's we have in the Army are super heavy on the torque side but dont have squat for HP. Cant think what the #'s were off the top of my head but it was like a 1/2 ratio if I remember right. Maybe 160hp/300+tq ??

h8louzn 07-11-2005 11:49 AM

Just take a look at any diesel.
Most all of them have way more TQ. Than HP.

citykett 07-18-2005 01:24 PM

I know what you mean.

Originally Posted by 3FordMan
I have a 2003 Screw, and it won't spin the tires. Why?

I know what you mean. I guess we have gotten old enough or whipped enough. We still want to enjoy the thrill of Non-EPA acceleration. My 02 had good take off but my 04 can't even earn the name "Dog". Hang in there. "Never give up..Never surrender"

HotLap 07-18-2005 07:56 PM

You can help the "choked off" engine though by adding a freer flowing exhaust (Magnaflow, better intake AF1, AirRaid, and a tuner) and then you will spin the tires!! For about $1K - $1,300 you can wake this engine/drivetrain up :thumbsup:

I have the Magnflow exhaust and now the AF1 - and am now researching into Tuners. :thumbsup:

Bluegrass 07-19-2005 06:00 AM

Engine torque does all the work.
HP is a calculated value.
HP = rpm x torque / by 5252.
Example: 3200 rpm x 250 lb/ft. = 800,000 / by 5252 = 153.32 hp.

To see the difference btween the engine sizes, follow a small engined car up a hill then follow a large engine up a hill. The small engine huffs all the way up compaired to the larger one. Torque is the difference no matter how hard the little motor is RPMed.

greencrew 07-26-2005 09:18 PM

It's a torque vs traction issue.

More wieght on the rear tires and they spinn harder.
With a 3.73 axle they spin easier than a 3.55.
Smaller tires will spin easier.
Limited slip axle will improve traction and limit slipping.
Softer tires grip better improving traction and reducing spin.
Cool air had more oxygen, more power, more torque, more spin.
Cold air has more total drive train resistance from thick oil, wasting torque.
When the rings get dirty compression drops with a loss of torque.
When the fuel filter gets dirty there is a loss of torque.
Dirty fuel injectors reduce torque.
When the MAF gets dirty there is a loss of torque.
Shifting the weight of the vehicle to the front tires by braking will reduce traction in the rear and improve spin.
Accelerating quickly will send torque to the wheels before the weight of the vehicle shifts traction to the rear wheels and they will spin easier.

For example. If you go slow, about 5-10 mph. Hit the brakes hard enought to shift the weight to the front tires, while making a brisk turn. Then quicly go the the gas good and hard. If you do it right you'll get torque to the rear while the weight is still shiftet to the front tires. The truck will spin around and you'll do a doughnut. The rear wheels will be all torque and no traction, so you'll go no where. If you hold the gas down and straighten out the wheel the weight of the truck will shift to the rear wheels providing more traction and you'll roar out of the spin. Don't try this at home on the street though.

I've done that with a SuperCab with 5.4 3.73 non-LS axle, but never tried it in a SuperCrew with 5.4 3.55 LS axle.

Cross 07-26-2005 09:57 PM

Done a few mods listed below. Try adding 285/50 Nitto's and you can't spin the tires, unless the roads are wet and oily. Launches like a bat out of hell with a little bit of power braking though! :devil: Now if I could only figure out where I misplaced that supercharger! :drool: