SuperCrew

Rear End Whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the process of having the ring and pinion replaced in the rear end of my 2003 SCrew. Hopefully I'll get it back Monday and see how she sounds. From what I've read here so far, it doesn't sound like it will work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 10-02-2004, 09:08 PM
I am curious, the rear end whine that people are experiencing, is it like the way I described it in my previous post? Between 40-60 MPH under slight acceleration? If it is and you get some answers please post.

Old 10-03-2004, 02:17 AM
New rear end

Everything is very quiet since new rear end. I"ve put 100miles on it so far very quiet. If dealer is saying any whine is normal they are lying. Hate to say it, but only fix is new rear axle assembly. Ford is trying to find cheap fix. RIde your dealer!! now for mods.......

Old 10-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Me Too!

Mine is doing it now too. I have a 2003 XLT FX4, Limited Slip 3.73 with 12,000 miles.

Mine does it under light acceleration 49-51 MPH.

I've also noticed in the morning when I pull out turning slightly, I get a shudder out of the rear-end. I'm thinking the LS clutch-pack?

Old 10-09-2004, 10:07 AM
I have a question. If Ford has not changed the design flaw that supposedly causes the dreaded "rear end wine", then how does repalcing the entire rear axle help if you're getting the same thing? I'm getting my truck back today and they've replaced the ring and pinion. I'm just curious and am not doubting anyone's claim that it's fixed. Maybe I'm missing something? Thanks!!

Old 10-11-2004, 01:17 PM
SM
Good Question, msugeotech,

My understanding is that it is not a design flaw, but a manufacturing flaw. The theory is that some axle housings are miscast at the factory, which throws the clearances off when the gears are set up. They can put gears and bearings in the housing til the cows come home, and the tolerances will never be right. By replacing the housing you should, with any luck, get one that was properly cast with the proper clearances for gear setup. I am not a differential expert, but that is my understanding of it. I know for a fact that an entire assembly replacement worked for me on my '01 Screw, after two unsuccessful rebuilds by the dealer.

SM

P.S. The Dawgs are hurtin' bad this year, aren't they?

Old 10-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks, SM
That makes more sense to me than the other theory. I figured if it's a design problem, you're getting the same design problem, just newer. I got my truck back Saturday, and so far, have not noticed the whine. Not to say it won't be back, but so far so good. We'll see how it goes after a while.

I'm also curious to know if the ring and pinion fix worked for anyone? And, yes, the Dawgs are horrible this year. I think it's all downhill from here. Perhaps next year will be better.

Old 10-11-2004, 01:40 PM
After reading all the posts, I was reminded of a 'whine' I have in my truck. It also occurs between 45 and 55 MPH. It's a 2000 Lariat. I only bring this up more out of curiosity than anything else. I noticed the whine after putting some new shoes on the truck a couple months back. At first I blamed the tires, but after starting to pay attention as to when the whine started, I noticed that it started when the torque converter locked (about 43MPH) and continued to about 50MPH. Also, at 50MPH when the whine was loudest, I turned off the overdrive, the whine disappeared, so to me anyway, my problem seems to be transmission related, but it does sound like the rear end.

This is just an observation on my part, and not trying to tell anyone what it is. Possibly, this may lead to another place to check, cause from what I'm reading, even most of the folks that get new rearend guts still experience the same problem within a couple weeks.

I sure hope Ford figures out what's up, as I plan on upgrading to a newer truck within the next few months, although for the cost of a new F150 Lariat, I am leaning towards an F250 Lariat FX4 CrewCab, 6 1/2 box, with the diesel engine (not really that much more).

Larry

Old 10-11-2004, 03:04 PM
SM your exactly right from my understanding its basically a crap shoot. I've put over 400 miles on new rear end and everything is quiet, that doesn't mean10,000 miles from now it comes back. IF that happens then I"m one unlucky bastard to get to bad rear ends.

Old 10-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Sometimes my rear end whines when I have too many beans. I don't think my local Ford dealer has a fix for that though....

Old 10-12-2004, 09:17 AM
SM
Cajun04,

My axle replacement was at 35,000 miles, and I am still whine-free and happy at 85,000, so I'm convinced the replacement did the trick.

SM

Old 10-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Unhappy Me Too

Well I am also on the list. My '04 SCREW had a clutch plate kit in July, 8 days in the dealership in late August to finally fix the whine (carrier bearings first, then rack and pinion). I have only driven about 600 miles since then and I have the dreaded whine again.

Local dealer tells me that Ford won't let them do anything...that they are working on a fix and it could be 6 months. Differential cover more rusted now than on the '98 I traded in (cause it's been cracked open so many times).

I'm pushing the dealer for a new truck and hoping I can get a new rear end at least...this is friggin ridiculous. I had a frustrating chat with customer service idiot at Ford Canada yesterday...going to start asking to speak to presidents I think.

For the record, 3.73LS rear end. Whine under very light acceleration from about 70-80km/hr (43-50mph).

Shawn

Old 10-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Tomorrow I will be calling the dealer to see if they will swap out the rear end and get rid of the whine between 40 and 60 MPH under slight acceleration. They give me a loaner and I also better get a jump before the warranty runs out. My experience is it takes several attemts for them to fix a problem.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:49 PM
You know... this is really getting sad. I mean, I can't believe Ford is letting this go for so long. This is going to bite them in the butt in the long run. They release a beautiful new truck in 2004 with a crappy... obviously still crappy rear-end. This is rediculas. Chevy just released their new Screw. Hmmm.

Ford you need to figure this out fast!!

Old 10-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Careful F150 Razz

I'll take the rear end issues over the piston slap GM has. I had a 1999 4.8L with it and a 2001 5.3L which was even worse.

We had an Expedition test vehicle at work, the rear end in that got real loud at about 100K and we replaced it, out of pocket of course, but it was good after that. I guess the thing is to track the rear end whine as the truck ages, if it keeps getting worse, then you better jump on it before warranty expiration.

Quick Reply: Rear End Whine