SuperCrew

Rear End Whine

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear End Whine

I have a 2003 F-150 Supercrew. I have only 19500 miles on it. I have been noticing that the rear end has a whine at around 48 mph when you apply gas slowly. I took it into the Ford dealer in my area. Guess what I was told. They told me that yes in deed it is the rear end that is making the noise. However if we go and try to fix it by replacing the rear gears you will only have it do it again. They then told me, that they had just did another Supercrew rear end a few weeks ago and was unable to fix it.
They went through three sets of gears only to make the problem worse. I told them that if they couldn't fix it then there was no reason for me to waste my time SCREWING with them. So I called Ford customer care and got the response that YES FORD was aware of the problem and that this was the only Fix that they had at this time. Fix being to just replace the gears. So Long storie Short ,I was writing to see what others are getting told about there REARS................................. I can't believe that they can't fix it. We pay all of this money only to have a truck that whines with no CHEESE.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:44 AM
I had a complete axle swap at 5,000 miles for the same thing. I haven't heard anything so far...

Old 08-04-2004, 12:31 PM
I agree that Ford is unlikely to know the fix. They jacked with my last truck for a whine with no resolution. I got sick of them and installed new gears and set it up properly during my warranty period. It was quiet from then on. The factory and dealership pinion depth was off. The dealership mechanics had vague answers to any of my evaluation and setup questions.

Old 08-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Just had the ring and pinion gears replaced on my 03, currently 18,000km on the odo. I will be putting about 3000km on the truck in the next 10 days. Hopefully the whining won't start up again.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Thank you for your responses. I don't know what to do at this time. I really don't want to have to face going back to the shop for the same thing more than once. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:11 PM
this is crazy but mine is in the shop as we type and they are swaping out the guts (grinding after stop then restart) 10.000 miles on also for creaking sound on pass side (bushing or something)

Old 08-06-2004, 07:41 PM
End regards to the rear end noise... its still a problem with the 04. You can see below from another thread where I'm at with mine.

---

Mark,

As you mentioned too, I shouldn't be posting this at this time either BUT I am. As I wrote, my truck is going in again for the same problem. I just received a call from my service advisor and he told me the same. Ford advised him to not do a thing. I blew my lid.

I called Ford Customer Service to vent and find out what their plan is. I've been told that Ford Engineering is investigating this problem. I was told that this can take up to 6 months. That's BS.

I love my truck but the noise and vibration is annoying! Not to mention how embarrassing it is when you have friends and family going for a ride. What's that noise?? Oh, that's Ford quality Job 1. Yaa right.

Well, the new 2004 design at least LOOKS real nice!

Steve
2004 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew

Old 08-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Just got mine back today and they replaced the possi clutch pack due to it being to tight, this causing the possi to stay locked.

it now drives like the day i picked it up when new it also seem less of an effort to drive meaning the tires had a tearing sound pulling out and on turns and less gas to get moving

Old 08-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Unhappy They didn't fix it

Well after being told by one dealership that they couldn't fix the rear end whine. I decided to get a second opinion. I took my truck to another dealer in the area. They assured me that they could fix the problem. So I told them to give it a shot. They had my truck for two days. One day to figure out what was wrong and order parts. The second day to fix it. Well they swapped out the Ring and Pinion gears and also some bearings in the rear. I said awsome and I picked up the truck and went on my way. Well fifteen miles down the road by the time the rear end heated up a little the whine was back. So now they are telling me that they are going to replace the carrier. Any IDEAS from the fine folks on this board would be nice. They are going to get THREE STRIKES and I am filing lemon laws. I am already living with a bad sqeak, flex noise from my right A piller. This is another story.

Old 08-17-2004, 09:31 PM
We must have identical trucks Tazbooman. I currently have just developed the rear end whine and have been living with the squeak on the right side dash. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they think. I only get the whine when I give it a slight amount of gas, it goes away immediately when the gas peddle is let off of. At this point mine is a minor annoyance but I do not want it getting any louder if possible. Only 13K on it and one year old.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:18 PM
2003 SCrew Squeak

I just traded in my 2003 SCrew and I swear it had the same squeak you have described coming from the front passenger side. My truck had low miles when I traded it, and it hadn't developed the rear-end whine but that squeak sure sounds familiar!

All that money for a truck and it should work properly - if it doesn't, the dealer or Ford should make it right. I understand there will be some inconsistencies in parts, assembly and the manufacturing process, but the dealer should do everything they can to remedy your problems.

Good luck with the rear end whine. I am just hoping my 2004 doesn't develop the VIBRATIONS I keep hearing about!

Old 08-18-2004, 12:59 AM
This is getting interesting guys. Let me tell you about the rattle in the front right a piller. I started to mess around with it one day and narrowed it down to a bad weld in the a piller. So I took it into the dealer with the cover off of the a piller along with the Grab handle and drove them around the lot. Sure enough they could here the rattle/flexing noise. They told me that to fix it they where going to have to Remove the windshield. I wasn't to happy about that but I wanted it to be fixed. It was a bad rattle/flexing noise that could be heard all of the time when taking turns or going over bumps or uneven pavement. They kept the truck for TWO weeks trying to figure out how to fix it. They ended up welding down the entire A piller underneath the windshield. After two weeks they call me up and tell me they had fixed it. I said ok went to pick up the truck it was raining that day. I drove the truck around and could still here the rattle slightly but it was much better than it was before. The next day it was not raining and sure enough the rattle was back. So what do you do you take the truck back to them ask whats up. They tell me that the next thing to do will be to CUT the A PILLER out and replace it. I TOLD THEM to Go and POUND SAND. I wasn't going to let them cut up my NEW TRUCK. So here in lies the problem of having to live with a rattle/flexing noise that can't be fixed along with the rear end whine now. Hoping they can get at least one problem fixed.

Old 08-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
On the rear end whine, I to have just bought an 02 with 33000 miles and just noticed a whine at 48 to 54 mph under light throttle. Under or over that speed range it disappears.
I am going back to the dealer and at least get it on the record.
I have extended warrenty that I hpe will take care of it if it gets bad enough.
If the indications are that the fix is not a 'for sure' thing, I will let it go for now rather than hassle over it.

Old 08-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Here's another interesting update...

As you can see from an earlier post, my truck has been in twice for a rear end whine. The first time they replaced the gear sets and clutch packs. Within two weeks the noise was back and even worse. Truck went in another time... they refused to repair it. After calls to Ford and higher ups at the dealership I was told that Ford is investigating the problem and there is nothing they could do. I said and felt that this is BS. A week later I received a call from the dealership asking how my last visit went. Told them the truth... it was a joke and I still have a problem and you won't fix it.

This past Wednesday I received a call from the Field Operations Director for the dealership and he mentioned that the noise is unacceptable and my truck should be fixed. I said wow... we are now on the same page. Truck went in and they mentioned the gears were adjusted too tight and the clutch packs need to be replaced again.

They still have my truck due to the availability of parts. Stay tuned.

Steve
04 Lariat Screw

Last edited by F150Razz; 08-22-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:53 PM
2004 f-150 whine

I have the same whine ! My ford dealer has been waiting three weeks for the parts. I guess Ford cant make them fast enough! What does that tell you?

Quick Reply: Rear End Whine