Rear End Whine - Page 3 - F150online Forums

Go Back  F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > SuperCrew
Rear End Whine >

Rear End Whine

SuperCrew

Rear End Whine

Old 09-15-2004, 01:54 PM
good information

my friend works at visteon(axle manufacturer for ford)
lots of things have changed.....
when the 01-03 axles were manufactured for the f-150's they no longer made/cut and heat treated the spider gears for the diff cases. imported from china.

driveshaft job sent to monroe(they have issue with balance weights falling off!)

bearing caps for the u-joint made in china(no longer machined) they are forged.

i'm sure there is more but this is just what he heard.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:57 PM
I have been thinking about calling my dealer to see what they can do for me. I have twice had the ring and pinion replaced (at 2 different dealers) and still have the whine. I actually think it is worse now.

Maybe I should call them again and see if they will replace my entire rear axle. If not.. I dunno.

Old 09-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by F150Razz
3.73 LS.

After the third visit... so far so good. However, I do hear a slight whine but thats acceptable. Before, my Audiophile system couldn't even cover the noise.
Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news. My rear end is starting to whine again. Its starts about 45mph and slowly goes away as my speed increases.

However, I'm not going to wait 4K miles for the so called "break-in" that I've read before. Also, I'm not going to call Ford and or my dealer because I'm not going to put myself thru that frustration process once again.

The sound isn't that bad right now so I'll give them another month to see if they can find a fix. Because replacing the guts... from my experience... isn't the fix.

FORD... please get this damm thing fixed!!!

Old 09-15-2004, 10:47 PM
From what I am told there is no fix, it is normal for the 8-8 rear end. Let me know if you get satisfaction from the dealer. My noise isn't loud enough to get into the throws of getting rid of it. I still have 20K left of warranty to fix it though if it gets worse.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:38 AM
It is definitely not normal for the rearend to whine. I plan to get mine fixed. Hopefully by Ford. If not, I will have my friend who is a tranny guy have a look at it one of these days when we both have extra time.

Jag

Old 09-16-2004, 02:16 AM
After going to the shop to have the pinion bearings, gear and races replaced for the 3rd time in about 80,000 k to cure rear-end whine, I decided to have a snoop around and stumbled on this site. What an eye opener. Cudos to all for all the information. If enuf people put enuf pressure...

2001 screw lariat

Old 09-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Unhappy 03 Lariat also whines

I had the ring and pinion replaced on my 03 Crew back in June. It definately got better, but I could still hear the whine. The service manager at my dealer couldn't hear it, so he suggested I drive it a while to see if it got better, worse, or stayed the same. Well, I just stopped at the dealer today and went for another test drive. I can still hear the whine, but the service guy says it is FINE. I only have 14,000 miles on the truck, so I'm not going to panic until I get close to running out of warranty.

On one hand, I feel sorry for the service guys who are trying to fix what appears to be an engineering or manufacturing problem. If it is true what I read about Ford getting parts from China, I hope they rethink that position.

I can't believe that FORD can't engineer a fix, if they are getting as many people reporting this problem as this thread would indicate.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:31 PM
update

Well couldn't take the whine no more called dealer and demanded that they change the whole rear axle assbly. Dealer said come by for they can get some numbers off rear assembly. Well now waiting for the call back to see if Ford will change it. Will let ya'll know. Dealer might be blowing smoke up my [email protected]@.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Replace the Axle YEA RIGHT

I have been trying from the get go to get them to replace the entire rear axle. Every time they have turned me down. But please let me know if they do it for you. At this point I have sent Ford a letter of notification. They have since sent a company rep out to look at my truck. They have ordered yet again a new Ring and Pinion set for my truck. This will be the Third set of gears in my rear. And one time they replaced the Carrier and all of the bearings. On Monday or Tuesday of next week they are planing on doing the gears again. I will let you guys know how it goes. If they don't fix it my lawer says that we have a EXCELLENT lemon law case. Ford needs to figure out what the problem is and get it straight. I know I am going to get Blasted hear but the NISSAN Titan is starting to look pretty nice to me. Well I hope it dosn't come down to that though.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:34 PM
Well, dealer never called me back today. I"ll give them till tomorrow. Its funny the service advisor took a ride with me to listen to the noise. He said he just bought a 04supercab, and his does the same thing. He also said since he works for ford he's not worried about getting it fixed now. He said he wants to let customers like me get the fix first. What ********* BS. Trying to be patience, had a few beers. I'm giving ford until October then DSB. Its sad I like this truck. SOrry for rambling. late

Old 09-27-2004, 01:30 AM
Rear End Noise

The whine in my 03 Supercrew lariat turned into a horrible grind, like a wheel bearing gone bad. Fearful of that, I took it in. Ford told me the bearings were bad in the differential. I visited the internet..and to my dismay, found I was not alone. According to Ford's work order, they replaced the carrier bearings, flushed the housing, reset the backlash. The whine is still there big as ever. They told me the whine was under investigation but the bad bearings & whine were not related. What made the carrier bearings go out on a new truck? From what I'm reading, should I ask that I get a new "axle assembly". I intended all along to take the truck in before the 36,000 warranty was up re: whine. Looks like its time to get busy. Can't afford big paymts & big repair bill! That's why I bought a new truck!!!!!!! I really need for them to make this right.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:35 AM
update

Just got call from dealer new rear axle assembly will be here today. Hopefully no more whine by this weekend. I really am happy with dealer. Just keep riding your dealers. Keeping my fingers crossed that this works. Good luck. Will keep everyone posted after install.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Re: update

Originally posted by cajun04screw
Just got call from dealer new rear axle assembly will be here today. Hopefully no more whine by this weekend. I really am happy with dealer. Just keep riding your dealers. Keeping my fingers crossed that this works. Good luck. Will keep everyone posted after install.
I'm really curious to find out the results. My rear-end is starting to whine once again.

Old 09-29-2004, 02:50 PM
Well, she went ahead and did it. While back I'd posted in this thread that my '03 S'crew wasn't *yet* rattling/whining. My truck just came up to 11000 miles and like magic, the rattle started. I think it comes from the door pillars. I also think it's a combination of low speed/slight grooving in the road. I thought maybe rolling up/dpwn the windows will eliminate the noise but no luck. I'll start contacting the dealers.

Old 09-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Whole rear axle assembly just landed at dealer. Appointment early tommorrow morning. Has everything new even brake calibers. Will update hopefully tommorrow night.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear End Whine

Sponsors

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: