SuperCrew

Rear End Whine

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fordf150razz, sounds just like my problem dealer said they can't change anything until ford finds a fix. First time they changed ring and pinoin. How long should we wait until going to the dsb board this is bs? -

Old 08-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Another thing it seems to be the limited slip rear ends that have the whine. I'm willing to let them switch to 3.73 non ls.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Update

Well here is a update on my truck. The dealership replaced the ring and pinion on the first trip and the carrier on the second trip. Well the whine is still there, and at the same speeds. The dealership called Ford and was told to replace the ring and pinion again. Well now we are waiting on parts. The parts are on back order and they are not expected to be in till October. So hopefully Ford is coming up with a fix for the gears so that we don't have to hear the whine any more. We will see. Oh yea just for everybodys info: It is the 3.55 Limited slip rear in my truck. What does everybody else have? It would be interesting to know if it is just the 3.55 ls that is having all of the problems.

Last edited by tazbooman; 08-27-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:53 PM
3.73 LS.

After the third visit... so far so good. However, I do hear a slight whine but thats acceptable. Before, my Audiophile system couldn't even cover the noise.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:37 PM
FX4's ?

I've been watching this thread- it seems to be both the 3.55 and the 3.73 rear end, all LS (I think). I have the 3.73, but no whine...( <---knocking on my wooden block head) Does this only affect the FX4's, or is in universal?

Old 08-31-2004, 08:52 PM
Question

hey tazbooman, I've been following this thread. Lots of education here.
My '03 SuperCrew is coming up to 11000 miles. I haven't heard any whine/noise/rattle ....yet. My question is - when you went to the dealership, did they give you any grief about your problem being a non-warranty issue? I've had some bad experiences with dealerships to get them to cover parts and labor. Thanks and best of luck with your truck.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Unhappy Well I am Really BUMMED

Well First to answer Sparty. No I haven't had any problems as of yet with trying to get them to fix my truck under warranty.

Now for the BAD News. I just got the call today telling me that they still haven't fixed my truck. This was the third attempt on fixing the Rear end whine. This time they replaced the Ring and pinion gears again. They are still whining. They told me over the phone that Ford is now telling them that I need to Drive the truck for 4000 miles and the new gears should break in. I haven't had a chance yet to tell them that this is BS. If this is true wouldn't all the new trucks out there whine for 4000 miles and then quieten up. Or why didn't they say this on the First time of replacing the gears. This is Total BS. I need other peoples opinions so that I can print this out and show them what all the other LOYAL Ford owners think. So everybody PLEASE speak up and I will take a copy of this into them and show them. Thank YOU

Frustrated F-150 OWNER now............

Old 09-08-2004, 02:01 PM
SM
A search on this board for "rear axle whine" should provide you with A LOT of reading material! I gather that the problem is fairly common. I have posted this before, but instead of digging it up, I will try to summarize: After the local dealer rebuilt my rear differential twice under warranty, they still failed to get rid of THE WHINE. After consultation with Ford engineering, they concluded that there was a flaw in the housing casting, and the gears could never be set up right. Ford replaced the entire rear axle assembly, guts, housing, and all, under warranty, and I have quit whining (pun intended) ever since. Kudos to the dealership in my case for being cooperative throughout the process.

Others on the board have had entire assemblies replaced, also, usually successfully. Try a search here, and try asking your dealer about entire axle assembly replacement.

SM
'01 Screw
3.55LS

Old 09-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Whine

Thank You SM I have been trying since the begining to get Ford to replace the entire rear end. They have turned me down every time. Now on Monday they are having the District Area Service Manager come and look at the truck. I will show them what you said and see what they find out. Thank You again.

Old 09-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Re: Well I am Really BUMMED

Originally posted by tazbooman
I need other peoples opinions so that I can print this out and show them what all the other LOYAL Ford owners think. So everybody PLEASE speak up and I will take a copy of this into them and show them. Thank YOU

Frustrated F-150 OWNER now............
Tazbooman, as for Ford telling you that there's a 4K mile break-in.... what a joke! My first visit in regards to this issue was well over the 4K mile "Break-In". My rear end had more than enough time to break-in then whine.

Old 09-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Just got back from having a FORD mechanic listen to my rear end whine issue. Before we started on out so he could listen to what I have been hearing he commented: if the noise you are hearing occurs btween 40 and 60 MPH after slight acceleration is given then there is nothing we can do, it is normal for a 8-8 rear end. His comment described my senario exactly. He said that he could change out the guts of the rear end and in another 5K miles it would return. He says the noise should stay the same. I will be waiting to see if it gets worse. The noise I am describing is quite mild and is blocked totally with the radio on even slightly. Keep you posted as the months go by.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:29 AM
yeah, me too

here's my service history(02 s-crew)
2 weeks in service in for pinion leak
3 weeks in service in for pinion leak slip yoke leak
replace slip yoke and pinion seal/bearings
approx 1 year in service rear end whine
rebuild l/s(spiders, bearings, races) no whine
8-25-04 whining returns
replace ring and pinion, pinion bearing/race and driveshaft

no whining as of yet, i'll keep watching this thread.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:37 AM
my axle is also 8.8/3.55 mis-engineered piece of scrap chinese steel not fit for service problematic visteon built wish i had a dana rear end.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:37 AM
my axle is also 8.8/3.55 mis-engineered piece of scrap chinese steel not fit for service problematic visteon built wish i had a dana rear end.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:03 AM
Boy after reading this thread I think me being hearing impaired could help me not to lose it...I can't tell if my rear end has noise or a whine but I can't see any oil leaks in the rear end...It has the 3.55 LS but its in a 01...with 91300k now...So do you think I will not get it now ??

Quick Reply: Rear End Whine