SuperCrew

Loose front end

Old 09-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Loose front end

Does anyone out there have a SuperCrew with a loose front end?
If so I'd like to hear fram you. Ever since I purchased my new '03 SCrew, I've had a problem withthe steering. I took it in for repair and I was told everything was to spec and that I should not worry about it. Whenever I drive over roads with some depressions in it, the truck follows the ruts. Same while driving on the highway. Just doesn't feel right. Steering seems to "wander" and the steering box is always trying to "guess" which way to go. There is a clunking noise in the steering box when steering wheel is turned side to side when engine is running and much more noticable when the engine is off. AS I drive sown the highway and turnthe steering wheel slightly back and forth the steering control is a nightmare. Service dept brought out as like Screw for comparison and it made the same noise, hence I was told it is characteristic of the vehicle. I don't buy this reasoning! I took it to another dealership and I was told that the steering box bolts were loose. They tightened them up as well as the pitman arm bolt and told me that I was good to go. Also stated that since I have the 17 in rims with 245 LT size tires, that is the reason for the "loose" steering. Well the noise is still there and the truck still wanders while driving down the road. I have every reason to believe that the steering box is defective. However, the service dept(s) do not think this is so and they won't replace the box. Service dept wants the regional Ford reps to take a look at the vehicle as they have no history of complaints like mine. Still waiting.....

Old 09-11-2003, 02:24 PM
wandering screw

Mine does the same thing. 56,000 miles and it has done it since about 10,000. I've replaced the idler arm x2, lower control arms, new shocks, anti-sway bars, new front springs, new tires, and alignment x 3 to no avail.
Try a search on "wandering screw" and you'll see that many of us have the same problem. I thought it was an early production problem with the steering gearbox/pitman/idler arms. My screw is an early '01, Built 6/00 and most of the other posts seem to be from '01 owners. I would suggest pressing the matter with your dealer in case it is something other than what we think was an early design flaw.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks SCREWDINOK. I was unaware others were having the same problems as I.

It really bugs me that after having owned a 2001 Screw and then purchasing a 2003 SCrew basically has the same problems. Main problem with my 2001 was exterior paint. The entire truck had paint "spidering" of which I had the Denver Ford reps take a look at. They said my truck would need to be repainted (within 2 years of being brand new), however they didn't know how to go about it - chemically strip or media blast it. Months went by with no response. I finally decided to trade to a 2003 which I believe was a major mistake.

Anyway, front end still has loud clunking noise and "wandering steering" which the dealership says is normal charactersistic of the vehicle. GIVE ME A BREAK!! When GMC comes out in Jan 2004 with the new Sierra 1500 crew cab, I plan on getting rid of my FORD. (You dedicated FORD fans, chill out if I offend anyone, just had bad experiences with FORD products, two SCrews within 2 years and many problems that shouldn't be associated with a $30K truck).

Last edited by SWSCrew; 09-19-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:42 PM
(You dedicated FORD fans, chill out if I offend anyone, just had bad experiences with FORD products two SCrews within 2 years and many problems that shouldn't be associated with a $30K truck).
You gotta do what you gotta do... I don't take offense to that at all.

--Justin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loose front end