SuperCrew

A little help please...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little help please...

Well it didn't take long for some *%#-hole to hit my front passenger-side fender flare. I've only had this truck for about 2 and 1/2 months...that really pisses me off!!

anyway, it knocked off about 3-3 1/2 inches of paint. on that 3 inch spot, you can see all the way down to the white plastic that the flare is made of. i can't even see any primer below the paint that is still flaking around the bare spot. the flare only has two little scratches that are parallel (about 1/4 inch apart) and run vertically about 1/2 inch each.

has anyone in here had the same thing happen to them/him? what are my options? just to let you know, a new flare from Ford will not come painted. am i gonna' need a "body" shop to fix this? is it something that i can do myself? what are the smallest increments that paint can be purchased in? i don't think this love scratch will need THAT much paint.

robert

Old 09-11-2003, 08:11 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most auto/body paint shops will sell paint in smaller quantities but, you're still going to need to make sure that you have a good surface for the paint to adhere to and I'm not sure using a dab of bondo will work as I'm not sure of how it adheres to plastic.

What I would suggest doing is running it by a couple of body shops and getting quotes. They'll all look at it and give you a piece of paper with a price for free (or nearly all of them will). Secondly, before you go back to the body shop to have the work done, hit a couple of your local junk yards. Even if it's not the right color, you might be able to come up with a flare that will work short of having to buy one 'OEM' off of FoMoCo (and, obviously, it should be cheaper).

Of course, I haven't seen the scratches but, it sounds like it's a bit more than I'd want to tackle and I feel pretty confident with touch-up paint around my truck. To do it right, I think it's going to need to go to a body shop. Just my opinion though...

Best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

RP

Old 09-11-2003, 10:24 AM
Are you sure Ford won't sell you a pre-painted one? I got one scratched up on my 97 Lariat a couple of years ago and went to the local dealer and ordered a prepainted one with no problem. Wasn't cheap though, I think it was $90 but it only took 15 minutes to replace and she was as good as new.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by drmoore
Are you sure Ford won't sell you a pre-painted one? I got one scratched up on my 97 Lariat a couple of years ago and went to the local dealer and ordered a prepainted one with no problem. Wasn't cheap though, I think it was $90 but it only took 15 minutes to replace and she was as good as new.
well, i called and asked one dealer and they said that it did not come painted...maybe i'll try another dealer.

btw, i forgot all about the fact that it would need the paint to "flex" because of the plastic molding. damn, that'll probably cost more! if i could just have 2 minutes alone with the person that did this...that's all i need, 2 minutes! ha ha ha

robert

Old 09-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by drmoore
Are you sure Ford won't sell you a pre-painted one?
Ford seems to have stopped stocking the parts painted ome time last year. I know this holds true for the Glamor Caps for the mirror heads. It came in straight ABS plastic, no primer no nothing. Needed to be primed painted and clear coated.

Quick Reply: A little help please...