SuperCrew

disable air bags

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disable air bags

Anyone know how to disable the passenger side air bag on a s'crew?

I, for one, am sorely disappointed that Ford did not equip s'crews with shut off switches.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Short of going in and removing the airbag itself, I don't think there is a way to disable it.

The reason that Ford didn't put the shut off switch in the SCREW is because Federal regs don't require it to be there. The reason it's there in a SCAB is because of 'kiddie safety' so that they 1) don't get their head taken off by an air bag and 2) carseats aren't pushed back towards the seat causing infant damage.

With a screw, you have to put the kiddies in the rear seat. It's just like an Expedition, Suburban, Blazer, Explorer etc... they don't have shut offs either... and never will until the federal government requires them to do so...

*note, if you're going to toy with the airbag, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you disconnect the battery prior to tinkering. Those things ignite with a type of 'weak blasting cap'. They can definately take off a finger and ruin your day.

RP

Old 08-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Rock,
I am not certain, but I am fairly sure the reason is the Federal Regs do not allow a bypass where there is a rear seat that can accommodate a child seat. The screw as with the other vehicles you mention all accommodate a child seat in the rear. The Scab and the regular cab do not, hence the switch.

Old 08-10-2004, 12:41 AM
EAS
Re: disable air bags

Originally posted by sooo_alive
Anyone know how to disable the passenger side air bag on a s'crew?

I, for one, am sorely disappointed that Ford did not equip s'crews with shut off switches.
Search works (a post only two days old)!

I read the financial basis for Ford not providing a passenger airbag lockout on the Supercrew but I have the same question, how to disable the airbag?

My wife is not exactly tall, and the same issues that apply to children may apply to her (does Ford descriminate against petite women)?

So is there a simple fuse to remove (like other vehicles) or does this require a more extensive effort in a Supercrew?

Old 08-10-2004, 09:26 AM
If you pull the fuse you will lose both airbags and your AC blower motor. (At least on my Screw fuse 22)
If you pull up the surfboard you will see a connector for the Passenger airbag. I do not recommend removing it. Air bags have been proven time and time again to be the best solution for adults along with proper use of seatbelts. I would rather have minor injuries caused by the air bag versus serious injuries caused by a face plant to the dash or windshield.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:07 PM
I would rather have minor injuries caused by the air bag versus serious injuries caused by a face plant to the dash or windshield.
I would interject that not all Airbag deployments only cause minor injuries.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...teinhouse.html

Unless you mean quick and painless Death is Minor

Please do not read into this as being sarcastic or beligerent, I just wanted to stat that Airbags are not the end all solution to safety in an accident, especially in some cases such as the one in the article.

Dpostman

Old 08-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Some accidents are not survivable but I would still like to stack the odds in my favor. Seatbelt and airbags will do that. Of course you are still playing the odds right? My wife's grandmother will probably be killed by her airbag because she sits way too close to the steering wheel.

Last edited by Norm; 08-10-2004 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: disable air bags