MagnaCharger vs. Ken Bell vs. Powerdyne

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 06:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash,

Since you know about Ok. roads, did you ever lower any of your F-150's? If so, how much. It looks like I have about 11 and 1/2 inches of front bumper ground clearance with the new lightning bumper and the 31.6 inch tires (my 99' Firebird has 10 and 1/2 inches of front "nose" clearance!) Therefore, when I go to a 28 or 29 inch tire, its going to drop 1 to 1 and 1/2 inches. Due to the pending supercharger, I want to be as low as possible, but knowing our roads I do not know if I can go 3/4 or should I stay with a 2/4?

You mean Skid's heavy supercrew may be in the 12s!?! With only one supercharger on pump gas? Is that with aftermarket heads? Will it still be streetable? How tall a tire is he running? Thanks.

Neal,

I see you have a 2/4 drop. Can't remember if you have a stock front bumper or aftermarket. How tall are your tires? Thanks.

Your truck can outrun a new Mustang GT? Without a supercharger? You get a "chirp" when shifting into second? How is that possible without a supercharger? Are your tires 20 inches tall? .......ha!

Last edited by iron horse; 06-03-2002 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:50 PM
Crash,

Of course you never did say what it would take to do it...hehehe, but I am always trying to get all you speed wizards to reveal your secrets...hehe

Just found out that Allen Engine Development is almost finished with my upgraded fuel rails. I could have already received half the kit, but am waiting for the full kit to be ready to ship.

I was really going to go with a 28 inch tire, since the more powerful Lightning uses them, and it is very fast in the 1/4, there must be something to that small tire size. But, today of all days, at noon, I saw a F-150 supercab "styleside" (is that suppose to be like "classic Coke"?). It had a 2-4 drop with 235/70/16 - 29 inch tire. It cleared the parking pylon by an inch but with the additional side skirts, it seemed a tad too low.

Old 06-04-2002, 12:25 AM
???

Last edited by GVTf150; 06-04-2002 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:34 AM
Im currently running 28 inch tires. No problems going over curbs or bumps. Im thinking of changing the rear wheels to 18 inch instead of 17 inch so that I may install 28 inch drag radials. I haven't seen any manufacturer make any 28 inch drag radials in a 17 inch diamater. Anybody know of any? I have a 3/4 drop kit installed.

Old 06-04-2002, 07:28 AM
Blown2run,

Exactly what size and kind of tire are you running?

Blown2run and Skid both run 28 inch tires. Both have some of the fastest times on this board. hmmmmmmmm

Old 06-04-2002, 12:20 PM
I'm running Nitto Extreme 450 size 275/50/17. Total tire height is approx. 28 inch. I haven't found any drag radial that size for the 17 inch rims.

Old 06-05-2002, 01:03 AM
Hello,

I have just got done reading the REST of this Thread and it is very interesting. Iron Horse, I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see how your s/c turns out. Orignally, i wanted to go with 20" rims and put my money into that.. HOWEVER, TONIGHT changed things.... I NOW want to go with a Supercharger, or somehow, make my 5500 lb SUV go FASTEr... Way faster. And if i ever end up buying a supercharger, and getting the $$ to fund it, i would have to install it myself.... So, i am waiting to see if you (iron horse) are able to install the Magna yourself. Keep us updated.

What changed my mind was the doings of a Ford Taurus (sp?). I was just comming up on the light and it turned green, I proceeded as usual, but as I looked in my rear view mirror, I saw the Taurus approaching rapidly,,,, so i punched it, but not in time,,, It caught up to me and began passing me,,, and pulling away. I hit about 85 or so then backed off because it was pulling away (slowly) and it had just hit it's brakes.

Well this left me very discouraged, and i need to go faster, I am sick of getting BEAT! AHHHHHHH. so i look to you and the rest of the poeple on this thread for encouragement. Let me know how it turns out! GOOD LUCK! And any suggestions for making my nav go faster.....

Neal, would a 90mm MAF be compatable on a Nav with a K&N Fipk? and what about the largest TB i can get?

-Jon

Old 06-05-2002, 04:46 AM
PhatNav,

Thanks. This site has saved me so much wasted time, money and effort. Originally, I had okay'd the shippment of part of my kit, but then decided to wait until the full kit good be shipped all at the same time. So now it will be a week or so before it gets to me (I hope). I intend to give a play by play of the prep and install .

Last edited by iron horse; 06-05-2002 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:02 AM
Great!

Like I said, I am anxious to see how this all works out. I am "using" you to see if this is possible without GREAT mechanical Skills. Keep me/us posted and once again... GOOD LUCK,... from the s/c installs I've seen, you MAY need it,, but hopefully not!

- Jon

Old 06-26-2002, 03:30 PM
quick update

MagnaCHarger Kit will not be shipped for another two weeks or so. Although, the seller sold me a a complete and new kit, he said that my 99' 4.6 must have different fuel rails. For some reason he got the fuel rails from Ford. The other part he did not have was the electric fuel pump that works with the intercooler. He said that unless he can find another source, he has to wait until July 9th for it to come in.

He actually wants to ship what he has and give me the money to buy the pump, if I can find it (he did not tell me the type, brand or part no. of the pump). However, I have decided to wait until he can send me the entire and complete kit. I do not know why he did not have nor can not get, the fuel rails and pump from Allen Engine Development or Magna, since the Kit came from Allen Engine Development. But, he seems to be trying to get a complete kit for my application.

Does anybody know the type, brand and part no. of the pump that works with the intercooler in the MagnaCharger Supercharger Kit for 1999 F-150s with a 4.6? Does anyone know of a source to buy this pump from? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by iron horse; 06-26-2002 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 04:52 PM
Wow!

Thanks, I am going to email the seller right now!!!!

I can hardly wait to buy my upgrades from you!

Old 06-27-2002, 12:23 AM
You will be ahead of the game getting the Lightning pump. I have to get me one of thoes soon. The one I have is still working but I want one that runs all the time.

There is a different fuel rail on the '99+?

Crash!, what is done with the Hobbs switch when you put the Lightning pump on. Just remove it and replace the tee in the hose on the FMU with a coupling? If Iron Horse dosn't have to put the whole Hobbs swich in there it will save him some time on the install.

Old 06-27-2002, 11:45 AM
When you remove the Hobbs switch, just connect the two wires that were on the switch together (ie short the switch). Then the pump will run whenever the fuel pump runs.

I jumper my hobbs switch when I am towing because I want the intercooler pump to run all the time. If it dies then I will get the lightning pump.

Ian

Old 06-27-2002, 03:43 PM
I found the Lightning intercooler pump at www.fordpartsonline.com for $233.00 (without shipping). You can call 1-800-549-2005 and ask for Gary (I talked in detail to him or Brian if Gary is not in (tell'm Jason recommended him).

I just emailed the seller to tell him that I found the pump in stock. I will have to wait until he responds (he can either give me the $ for the pump and send the rest of the Kit or buy it and send me the whole kit).

Wittom,

Thanks for that question. It is that kind of detailed concern that is going to make a difference in a successful install or an engine compartment of gremlins for me. Thanks again!

Crash!,

Alright, I finally get to do something in return? The switch is yours!

Ian N

Again, this is the type of detail that makes this site so awsome. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2002, 05:13 PM
Iron Horse;

Make sure you get the pump mounting bracket as well as the pump.

Ian

Quick Reply: MagnaCharger vs. Ken Bell vs. Powerdyne