Opinions wanted - towing

Old 10-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
4th is basically direct drive (very slight overdrive) 1:106 IIRC
3rd is your highest gear with underdrive

4-4,500 RPMs sustained is okay as long as you keep an eye on coolant and trans temperatures
Good to hear. I have not had any issues with temperatures while towing.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:21 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
4.56 is not too big of a jump. 4.10's won't make enough of a difference to make it worth it. If the truck sees minimal usage, you might as well do it. If it were your daily driver I'd think twice, you would take a pretty hefty gas mileage hit.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I'd regear and get custom tunes before I'd bother with headers.
yes sir

Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by coreyva
Am I really going to gain much with a tuner? I understand the value with turbochargers, but wouldn't expect much naturally aspirated.
you won't gain harldy any power with a tune, BUT what you will gain IF you've chosen a tuner with a clue is increased transmission functions resulting in a better driving / towing experinece

Old 10-22-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by coreyva
I have a 2010 SCrew with 75000 miles. I'm the original owner and it has been well kept up. I had a slide in for awhile, but recently upgraded to a Starcraft 265RLS travel trailer. Living in Idaho, there is no escaping mountains and the truck struggles with them. I have weight distributing bars and airbags on the truck. Fully loaded with the trailer, the truck weighed 8260 and the trailer weighed 6860. I know that puts me about 500 pounds over the GVW, but I can live with that. What I need is a bit more power in the mountains. While I will at some point to upgrade to a SuperDuty, it's just not in the near future. Since I'm only towing 8-10 a year, I think I'm better off keeping the truck and installing a supercharger.

So what I'd like opinions on is if you think it's worthwhile on this truck and if it will provide enough of an increase in power for my configuration. I'm not a lead foot, so I'm really only looking for towing help. Since the truck is in such great shape and long paid for, I'd really like to keep it as long as possible. 5-8 years longer would be great, but I don't want to adversely affect the longevity. I've looked at the procharger, but wonder if there is a different one better suited for my usage.

Thanks.

Edit: I should add that I have 3.73 gears and max tow package, so maybe an upgrade to 4.56 would solve my issues?
this is something you needed to consider PRIOR to upgrading trailers, and no the centrifugal superchargers ARE NOT what you want for part throttle driving while towing

gears and or a positive displacement supercharger are going to be your best options both will be hard on fuel but then again so is towing with an over loaded underpowered truck

Old 10-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
before i dropped $2k for gears and a tune or $6k to $7k for a supercharger. I would look at the cost of a 2011 -2013 with an ecoboost or a 6.2.

the money you spend upgrading you will never see.

my 2012 f150 with a 6.2 pulled my jayco 26ft with slide beautiful. plenty of power.

i was pulling with a 5.3 chevy an dit was night and day difference.

i had a 5.4 with a centrifugal s/c. only benefit was passing speed was much better. cruising showed no gain and from a stop ..no gain.

Search this Thread