Build upgrade questions...supercharged!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build upgrade questions...supercharged!

Greetings, looking at doing some upgrades and provided current build and future plans with parts planned to buy and some questions. Sorry for the wall of text but figure if I want help I need to provide details

Where I am at today:
08 F150 roush charged and pullied for about 10-ish PSI.
Long tube headers, efans, larger fuel pump, 160* tstat, stock tow package radiator/trans cooler. Valve body has a few things, tuff stuff plate, solenoids and a few other things. 4.56's and truetrac out back. Have boost/afr/egt meters, currently SCT tuned. Have been boosted since about 33k, at just under 67k and even towed with it Roush kit will be FS once this project starts!

What's going to happen next?
Bought a used whipple kit, stock pulley
It is missing some bits, so going to add some bits. Figure going to do an 8 rib swap out of the box. 47# ford racing injectors, larger TB. Once kit arrives will inventory/inspect parts and pressure test relevant cooling parts to ensure they are good. Seller mentioned they media blasted the manifold, debating if I should paint it or not.

Constraints:
The bottom end is stock, at about 6k elevation.

What I've found:

8 Rib conversion
A/C PULLEY 7UZ-19D784-AA(YB-542)
Alternator pulley F65Z-10344-AA (GP-720)
Power steering pulley XL3Z-3A733-AA
Tensioner 1L3Z-6B209-AA
Crank pulley XL1Z-6312-CA
Idler pulley F65Z-8678-AAA (YS-250)
Water pump pulley F6TZ-8509-AA

Not sure if I should replace pulley on blower, or do OD pulley. My thought is an OD pulley is going to overdrive everything costing more HP vs. pulley on blower=just blower is OD. Figure target 10-ish PSI? Though water pump over driven may not be a bad idea.

Heat exchanger(s):
Have a used HE from a GT500, planning on using whipple supplied HE plus this HE, or, should I go with a larger, single unit? With elevation air will be thinner, figure SC will be hotter and needs more cooling especially in a black truck!

Tuning:
Few locals do HP tuners. I know nothing about it other than there's no special hardware/tuner so loading tunes requires to purchase 'something'. Would like a tow tune and perf tune. Budgeting $800-$1000 here.

Fuel:
Have a larger fuel pump, truck was factory flex fuel. FPDM and fuel filter was done within last 1500 miles. Have thought about e85 but this thing already sees the gas pump enough Have 91 out here which due to elevation is more like 93 I am told, regular here is 85 octane, not e85.

Throttle body:
Looks like the parts of interest are these guys
M-9926-M5090
m-9474-m50

Not looking for yuge power numbers but want to have a very very good, fun driver that will provide very very many fun opportunities.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:09 PM
I have to ask, why ditch the Roush? I do have my suspicions as to why but just curious for some of your input.

I might be a buyer of a pulley or 2 from you if your selling your 6 rib stuff. I need the idler pulley and might grab some other stuff if your offering..

As for other considerations with your whipple.
Add an IAT sensor to an intake runner (runner 5 for me) for actual post boost air temps. I have pics and part numbers in a thread I made over at the "other" site..
VMP makes a nice breakout harness that will connect this sensor to your maf without splicing.

Not sure if you have the 95mm MAF yet but that would Also be a good upgrade.

47# injectors are perfect.
Cooler autolite HT0 plugs are great too. You will likely have some ice cold start issues with them, but once they are warm they are perfect..
Issues like longer cold start crank, and maybe even some slight hesitation if you don't let them warm up for a good minute or 2..

What fuel pump are you running right now? You considering upgrading possibly?
I'm still on my stock pump with no issues at 220 thousand miles! My New motor has been supercharged for about 25k miles already, old motor was blown for about 50k miles before she dropped a valve.

Last edited by Especial86; 06-27-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with the roush, the whipple was kinda right time/right price thing. I wanted to make more power but really with the roush already at 10psi I am not that optimistic. It's been a wonderful kit but it's not going to make the big numbers one really wants. After moving to this elevation the truck feels like it's down in power, even with the 4.56's (stock FX4 wheel/tire).

After everything is off is when I'll prob start selling things.

Running some NGK irridiums right now.

Fuel pump from receipt: Walbro TU275HP High Performance Fuel.

Roush kit uses IAT in the same runner location tied into MAF. Have the 95mm housing and 3.125 pulley on the blower.

This motor has been boosted for about 35k miles. Never any issues other than the FPDM crapping out when towing out here.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check out BlownFord 's truck. He's pretty much maxed out what the 5.4 and Whipple can do.