procharger or whipple

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
procharger or whipple

hey guys I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to go with prochargers stage 2 kit or whipples 2.9 kit for 14 5.0 f150. currently the truck has 3.73 gears I really like the procharger but the whipple is very impressive. thanks in advance guys.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:20 AM
thanks guys 177 views and no replys you guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think we need more information like, what's the goal? Are you towing, racing, just a daily driver? What other mods do you have. What boost level are you going for, that's my 2 cents.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:24 PM
well first of all thanks for your reply! only looking to make around 550-600 hp as of now maybe more down the road due to the power train not being able to handle the power this will be a daily driver so I will mainly be messing around with people on the interstate stuff like that some off roading no track time for sure. currently only have 3.73 gears borla exhaust cai, tune lift and tires. I was looking at prochargers stage 2 kit which claims to make 9 psi. To pair with the kit I was thinking boss intake manifold and aftermarket throttle body for now. will do tranny, converter, driveshaft. also looking to do fox 2.5 coilovers and upper control arms at a later date. looking for recommendations for other supporting mods or things that might need to be upgraded in the near future.
thanks!

Old 10-27-2015, 12:25 PM
I've been looking into this as well. I have an 06' but dumping it in less than a month for a 5.0l 2014. The procharger kit is great for low end torque, but is loud. The price difference per setup is essentially negligible. The whipple kit will give you greater potential with future upgrades than the procharger and is quite a bit quieter. I personally am going with whipple. Just haven't decided what sub-model of F150 to go with. Hope that gives you a little insight.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:54 AM
MDK
Personally for a truck I think roots blowers are better to get these beast moving and whipple is a great choice. I tend to use centrifugal blowers like procharger on lighter cars so I can have that steady power climb as opposed to getting power all at once with a roots which would usually just light up the tires. But then again I'd probably look into a turbo setup before I did another procharger.

I would just stick to whatever's suoercharger kit you want and run the recommended psi for a bit then go from there. Seems like you want to build a budget race truck and to be honest these trucks do just fine with stock components. Reducing or getting rid of your lift and what I assume are bigger than normal tires will help you out a ton if thats what you are going for.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:13 AM
I went back and forth with this same debate for months. Finally made my mind up to go with the ProCharger. Why? Well, my truck will be a daily driver about 75% of the time. I want to be able to drive it comfortably in all weather conditions without just roasting the tires every time I get in the throttle a bit. The ProCharger setup to me would be a little more subtle as it would build boost the higher the rpm's vs the roots style (whipple) as it's constant boost is readily available. Personally I think that would be awesome on the bottom end but would be kind of aggravating in a daily driver. But then again, it's what ever your desired goal is. What would make you the happiest with your money spent in your truck.

My truck is not currently ProCharged. However, I had the bottom end of the motor completely rebuilt in expectation of ProCharging real soon. After getting a few thousand miles and letting the new valves seat real good, the ProCharger will be a great addition to this setup.

Last edited by Rocky_Top2010; 12-16-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rocky_Top2010
I went back and forth with this same debate for months. Finally made my mind up to go with the ProCharger. Why? Well, my truck will be a daily driver about 75% of the time. I want to be able to drive it comfortably in all weather conditions without just roasting the tires every time I get in the throttle a bit. The ProCharger setup to me would be a little more subtle as it would build boost the higher the rpm's vs the roots style (whipple) as it's constant boost is readily available. Personally I think that would be awesome on the bottom end but would be kind of aggravating in a daily driver. But then again, it's what ever your desired goal is. What would make you the happiest with your money spent in your truck.

My truck is not currently ProCharged. However, I had the bottom end of the motor completely rebuilt in expectation of ProCharging real soon. After getting a few thousand miles and letting the new valves seat real good, the ProCharger will be a great addition to this setup.
Interesting take though I believe you may be misled a bit about the Whipple and daily driving. You aren't going to roast tires by giving a little throttle. The Whipple will build boost as well depending on how you throttle in to it. This can also be controlled in the tune. My JDM tune doesn't make any boost until 3/4 throttle and even then it starts low and builds up. My Troyer tune which I love is much more aggressive per my request. It's a lot of fun to drive through traffic or anywhere for that matter. When I want to move it moves and quick. I can't imagine driving a truck and not having the boost and power at low end.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Nice dyno twinskrewd. That's about what I'm hoping for with my setup...well about 550rwhp and torque to match. My ultimate goal is to make comfortable levels of boost with decent low end torque while having the ease of mind knowing that the truck can comfortably make a 5 hour drive on the interstate.

Do you have any issues with the whipple setup? Does it throw a lot more heat in the cab? At idle is the "supercharge whistle/whine" VERY noticeable?

Old 01-03-2016, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rocky_Top2010
Nice dyno twinskrewd. That's about what I'm hoping for with my setup...well about 550rwhp and torque to match. My ultimate goal is to make comfortable levels of boost with decent low end torque while having the ease of mind knowing that the truck can comfortably make a 5 hour drive on the interstate.

Do you have any issues with the whipple setup? Does it throw a lot more heat in the cab? At idle is the "supercharge whistle/whine" VERY noticeable?
There is no sound at idle. No heat at all. Haven't ever been asked that. Even after repeated dyno runs you can rest your hand on the Whipple. As for travel, it's a pleasure to travel with. Made several 12hr trips in it and even made a 6hr and 8 trip towing.

Quick Reply: procharger or whipple