05 5.4 3v build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the first page of this post, Mr. twinskrewd suggests that heads to send as TEA, the report said, is the best job of porting the cost in dollars, would like to know how to locate this workshop, and I excuse the intrusion .

Old 11-25-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think Mr. Twinskrewd was referring to: http://www.totalengineairflow.com/cu...ord/3v-modular

Old 12-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Called VMP yesterday about my tune to see how it was coming along. He sent me a base tune yesterday to see how everything is working and checking data. I will be doing some data logging for him so he can work out the kinks. He suggested I went with the stock MAF over the SCT because it has too much range and that the stock sensor wont peg in the 95mm housing. Havent had any time to work on the truck been busy with family stuff and work. I should have my truck over by my dads storage today because its suppose to start snowing and his place is heated thank god. Looking to have the truck all put back together by the end of next week

Old 12-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Mr. MeanGene thank you very much for your help. The information provided will serve much use. Thank you.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:31 PM
Any updates? I got my engine up and running. I even took a page from your book and went with the blue valve covers, but mine are just sprayed..
I went with jba SHORTY headers too..
The install wasn't too bad.. I snuck the motor in and out, and I didn't have any issues splitting it off the Trans..

Old 12-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Pics
I also added true duals, X pipe and SHORTY headers..

Attached Thumbnails 05 5.4 3v build thread-photo31.jpg   05 5.4 3v build thread-photo251.jpg   05 5.4 3v build thread-photo717.jpg   05 5.4 3v build thread-photo415.jpg   05 5.4 3v build thread-photo302.jpg  

05 5.4 3v build thread-photo412.jpg   05 5.4 3v build thread-photo805.jpg   05 5.4 3v build thread-photo837.jpg  
Old 12-28-2015, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by Especial86
Pics
I also added true duals, X pipe and SHORTY headers..
Thats awesome man congrats. Yea I wish mine came out easy my slides were so bad. Whatd you end up doing motor wise stock, rebuild, built? Havent made too much progress been busy as hell and waiting on parts. JDM sent me the wrong fuel injectors so had to wait for that. So far the new fuel pump is in, trans everything is done just have to put the cooler lines on, dipstick and fill with ATF. Then bolt the whipple on. Radiator and efans are in as well. Pretty much just little stuff just havent gotten around to doin it will keep everyone updated though

Old 12-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Kaisdaddy
Thats awesome man congrats. Yea I wish mine came out easy my slides were so bad. Whatd you end up doing motor wise stock, rebuild, built? Havent made too much progress been busy as hell and waiting on parts. JDM sent me the wrong fuel injectors so had to wait for that. So far the new fuel pump is in, trans everything is done just have to put the cooler lines on, dipstick and fill with ATF. Then bolt the whipple on. Radiator and efans are in as well. Pretty much just little stuff just havent gotten around to doin it will keep everyone updated though
I went with a AER reman engine.. Running great with 900 miles on it so far. Everything's. New from the flywheel forward. I also opted for a brand new true dual, X pipe, magnaflow 14" mufflers with stainless exhaust pipe, and hi flow cats..
She definitely feels like a brand new truck. I'm going to be swapping my 3.125" for that 3" pulley on the whipple soon, which should be bringing me to the brink of what the stock fuel pump can handle under certain conditions. I haven't seen 9psi since the last days of my old motor, the best I've seen is 8psi thanks to the shortys and exhaust.

I'm probably going to set up for the dual motorcraft EFans next. What fan setup are you running? Which controller did you go with? I was probably going to get the painless like twinscrewed.

What size injectors did you settle on? I'm running 47# injectors and it seems JDM's tune is holding up even better.
No more cold start lagging with the new motor.
I'm curious to see what your vct and engine load readings are once you get her buttoned up and fired. I'm seeing 1-2 vct which is a bit odd, and engine load sits around 18 at idle where it used to be zero. I now see 100% load at boost where before I would boost at 55% to 60% load.. I've been meaning to call JDM about it, but last time we talked he thought it was weird I wasn't seeing 100% load at boost..

Good luck with the rest of your build bro! And keep us updated!
05 5.4 3v build thread-photo153.jpg
I can't wait to see that huge fan shroud dissapear! I'm curious to see how you got your whipple degas reservoir mounted with EFans.
05 5.4 3v build thread-photo21.jpg

Old 12-29-2015, 10:55 AM
I went with a AER reman engine.. Running great with 900 miles on it so far. Everything's. New from the flywheel forward. I also opted for a brand new true dual, X pipe, magnaflow 14" mufflers with stainless exhaust pipe, and hi flow cats..
She definitely feels like a brand new truck. I'm going to be swapping my 3.125" for that 3" pulley on the whipple soon, which should be bringing me to the brink of what the stock fuel pump can handle under certain conditions. I haven't seen 9psi since the last days of my old motor, the best I've seen is 8psi thanks to the shortys and exhaust.

I'm probably going to set up for the dual motorcraft EFans next. What fan setup are you running? Which controller did you go with? I was probably going to get the painless like twinscrewed.

What size injectors did you settle on? I'm running 47# injectors and it seems JDM's tune is holding up even better.
No more cold start lagging with the new motor.
I'm curious to see what your vct and engine load readings are once you get her buttoned up and fired. I'm seeing 1-2 vct which is a bit odd, and engine load sits around 18 at idle where it used to be zero. I now see 100% load at boost where before I would boost at 55% to 60% load.. I've been meaning to call JDM about it, but last time we talked he thought it was weird I wasn't seeing 100% load at boost..

Good luck with the rest of your build bro! And keep us updated!
Attachment 50
I can't wait to see that huge fan shroud dissapear! I'm curious to see how you got your whipple degas reservoir mounted with EFans.
Attachment 51
That's awesome man glad your up and running again. Do you plan on putting on longtubes down the road? Hows the rest of the truck holding up drive train wise? I decided to go with the 60s. I tried returning my injectors to JDM because the part where the electrical connector plugs in was completely wrong. I'm gonna be running the same setup as twin the motorcraft fans the painless controller and the sensor mounted in the adapter in the rad hose. Had to drop some more money on a cheap laptop cause have a Mac and they kinda suck when it comes to being compatible with apps. I have a email tune from VMP and it requires a windows computer. So I figured I'd just buy one for data logging and I eventually want to learn how to tune my own vehicle down the road. I'm also trying to figure out where I want to weld in the bung for a/f ratio gauge. Stuck between putting in the collector or right after

Old 12-29-2015, 02:53 PM
That's awesome man glad your up and running again. Do you plan on putting on longtubes down the road? Hows the rest of the truck holding up drive train wise? I decided to go with the 60s. I tried returning my injectors to JDM because the part where the electrical connector plugs in was completely wrong. I'm gonna be running the same setup as twin the motorcraft fans the painless controller and the sensor mounted in the adapter in the rad hose. Had to drop some more money on a cheap laptop cause have a Mac and they kinda suck when it comes to being compatible with apps. I have a email tune from VMP and it requires a windows computer. So I figured I'd just buy one for data logging and I eventually want to learn how to tune my own vehicle down the road. I'm also trying to figure out where I want to weld in the bung for a/f ratio gauge. Stuck between putting in the collector or right after
I'm gonna pass on the long tubes, for now at least. The JBA shorty's are pretty good quality, so unless they crack or leak, I'm just gonna run them for a while. It's hard for me to say if they added any power since I bolted them up during s new motor swap. But since I haven't seen 9psi, I'm inclined to think they did relieve a bit of outlet restriction. The true duals with X pipe definitely helped with mileage vs the old SI/DO y pipe I had.

I put my bung in for my wideband within the specified range that the AEM directions suggested. I think it's within 8 to 12 inches from the rear most cylinder, in my case it's cylinder 8 on the driver side, right behind the 2 bolt flange that connects the cat pipe to the header flange. For you I'd say put it in the collector, or right after the collected if it's easier to get at to change the wideband 02 if it fails..

The rest of the truck is solid. The tranny is pretty much the only major 195k mile component left besides the fuel pump. I'm not getting any indication that I will be running into any near term issues with either of the 2, at least for a while... I change the Trans fluid every 20k to 30k with a drain plug, and I haven't seen the ominous sign of black tinted red fluid yet, and the fluid temps stay pretty cool.
How much did you spend on the whole E Fan setup?
If your going with VMP and your gonna drill and tap your intake for ACT readings instead of IAT, VMP sells a MAF breakout harness that will split the IAT wires off the MAF and connect to the motorcraft or denso ACT sensor.. That way it's just plug and play..

Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 PM
I'm gonna pass on the long tubes, for now at least. The JBA shorty's are pretty good quality, so unless they crack or leak, I'm just gonna run them for a while. It's hard for me to say if they added any power since I bolted them up during s new motor swap. But since I haven't seen 9psi, I'm inclined to think they did relieve a bit of outlet restriction. The true duals with X pipe definitely helped with mileage vs the old SI/DO y pipe I had.

I put my bung in for my wideband within the specified range that the AEM directions suggested. I think it's within 8 to 12 inches from the rear most cylinder, in my case it's cylinder 8 on the driver side, right behind the 2 bolt flange that connects the cat pipe to the header flange. For you I'd say put it in the collector, or right after the collected if it's easier to get at to change the wideband 02 if it fails..

The rest of the truck is solid. The tranny is pretty much the only major 195k mile component left besides the fuel pump. I'm not getting any indication that I will be running into any near term issues with either of the 2, at least for a while... I change the Trans fluid every 20k to 30k with a drain plug, and I haven't seen the ominous sign of black tinted red fluid yet, and the fluid temps stay pretty cool.
How much did you spend on the whole E Fan setup?
If your going with VMP and your gonna drill and tap your intake for ACT readings instead of IAT, VMP sells a MAF breakout harness that will split the IAT wires off the MAF and connect to the motorcraft or denso ACT sensor.. That way it's just plug and play..
That's sweet man your rig sounds super healthy now. What are your future plans for your truck down the road? Yea I already bought the breakout harness from VMP I bought that and the catch can after reading your thread on the other F150 site. I picked the fans up for $120 from tasca parts, the controller I got for $230 from summit and also bought the adapter for the rad hose from summit as well I think it was $30. Then a 3/8 npt drill and tap so the temp sensor can screw into it. I might lean towards putting the o2 sensor right after the collector but not sure yet I'll see where there is a good spot to put. I just don't want anything lag when its taking the readings and have the truck run lean

Old 12-31-2015, 07:11 AM
Wow you got those fans cheap! Where'd you find them for that price?

Future mods after EFans are likely going to be a super snake hood, fresh cab corners (mine are rotting), and maybe a new grille.
I might try a bigger throttle body and a 4" intake to get rid of some inlet restriction. I've got a 3x4 reducer coupler on my whipple 95mm MAF housing that bugs me a little bit.
I think after EFans I'm more than likely going to start prepping to bolt up a built Trans and a new TC. I'm probably going to grab a donor Trans and have one ready on the bench. But of course, my winter plan this year was supposed to be for me to start building a motor, which obviously didn't pan out quite like I was expecting. But hey, it's done now with a factory spec fresh engine..

Old 12-31-2015, 04:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's sweet man your rig sounds super healthy now. What are your future plans for your truck down the road? Yea I already bought the breakout harness from VMP I bought that and the catch can after reading your thread on the other F150 site. I picked the fans up for $120 from tasca parts, the controller I got for $230 from summit and also bought the adapter for the rad hose from summit as well I think it was $30. Then a 3/8 npt drill and tap so the temp sensor can screw into it. I might lean towards putting the o2 sensor right after the collector but not sure yet I'll see where there is a good spot to put. I just don't want anything lag when its taking the readings and have the truck run lean
Can you post part #'s for the fans and switch?

Old 12-31-2015, 06:19 PM
Painless Controller 30140 bought from summit
Motorcraft Fans AL3Z-8C607-A bought from Tasca Parts
Flex-A-Lite Adapter 32084 bought from Summit
3/8 NPT Drill And Tap bought from Amazon

Old 12-31-2015, 06:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Painless Controller 30140 bought from summit
Motorcraft Fans AL3Z-8C607-A bought from Tasca Parts