Cold Belt Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
The surges are a BIG complaint about Troyers tune on the Saleen forum. Troyer claims it's normal and nothing can be done about it. The Saleen guys got fed up and said forget it. Went to other tuners(mainly JDM) and the problem went away. If troyer told me that is "normal" I would have told him to get bent...

Twin, how you describe your truck runs is how mine is. Part/half throttle running about 5psi the damn truck will still plant you in your seat. It's just plain absolute blast to drive. I wish my stall was bigger like yours(mine is around 3000), but I'm waiting for my new engine build before I re-stall.
I mean with me its not a big issue with the surge. Thing is anytime someone drives my truck or riding in my truck they always point it out and are like "what are you doing?" ... Alot of times I run one tune one day and another tune another day because I really really like the feel of troyers but I love the daily "no surge" of VMP. If I put the truck in 1st gear I can still light them up at 30MPH with both but who knows maybe I'll even try a JDM tune too lol.

Troyer tune feels like a complete different truck. VMP reminds me of of the whipple tune but with complete throttle range and more power (obviously with 2psi more and injectors etc) but what I love about VMP is if I'm going 35mph I can mash the gas and it actually downshifts everytime to first troyer is like 1 out of 5 times it will actually downshift to the gear I want (usually I do it myself with the gear lever). So I dunno. The big names for the big power guys on here are either JDM (fatherford) and Troyer (twinscrewed) and maybe I'll be the VMP guy one day lol. Once I get my engagement ring paid off I plan to do the fuel upgrade and built trans.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Getting back to belts....

On my 5.4 3v NA....during a cold start there was a chirping noise/squeaking....using different size belts i took different components out of the equation one at a time....finally isolated it to an idler pulley bearing that was going....only 40K on the truck

Old 05-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing

On my 5.4 3v NA....during a cold start there was a chirping noise/squeaking....using different size belts i took different components out of the equation one at a time....finally isolated it to an idler pulley bearing that was going....only 40K on the truck
Wow, different belts to eliminate drives is the best way to go, but not sure how practical for me. I have 70K and before the install, I did not have the "cold" noise. I have heard from other sources that the I may just have to live with it. Scotching pulleys, belts, etc. has yielded zero results along with every belt tried.

I may tackle the problem one day when I have time or when I install the e-fan. It is just too painful an exercise with the fan and I don't have the time.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you didn't have the noise before than it may be something that was installed during the mod. You tried a different belt and that didn't work so what about an idler pulley that was installed? It is a used kit so it maybe possible. Just throwing in my 2 cents to try to help. I know that noise would drive me nuts even if its only for a short while after start.

Tim

Old 05-14-2011, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=88racing;4588612]Getting back to belts....

Oh was this thread about belts???

Old 05-14-2011, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=twinskrewd;4588739]

Oh was this thread about belts???
Yes it was, but ALL information is GOOD!!!

Speaking of belt noise, not only do I have belt noise when it's cold, I've developed belt noise at HIGH boost.

I never heard it before today though!

It gets parked tomorrow until further notice, so I'll deal with it then!

Old 05-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Belt noise at high boost is belt slip from a loose belt.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Belt noise at high boost is belt slip from a loose belt.
Not sure how to get it any tighter. I don't know if I can get a smaller belt on or not. I might buy a new tensioner though. Do they make an aftermarket tensioner for our trucks?

Last edited by Jetpilot2; 05-14-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 PM
They do make after market tensioners. I know alot of Saleen guys upgrade to a mosaleen idler, bigger waterpump pulley and a roush belt tensioner (its like extra duty).

Old 05-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
They do make after market tensioners. I know alot of Saleen guys upgrade to a mosaleen idler, bigger waterpump pulley and a roush belt tensioner (its like extra duty).
I have the mosaleen idler and bigger wp pulley already. I'll have to look into the Roush tensioner though, thanks!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure your belt is slipping at high boost? Are you talking about when shifting gears or?

Your dyno charts didn't show any belt slip in them. Are you sure it's not some other pulley freezing up on you?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot2
Wow, different belts to eliminate drives is the best way to go, but not sure how practical for me. I have 70K and before the install, I did not have the "cold" noise. I have heard from other sources that the I may just have to live with it. Scotching pulleys, belts, etc. has yielded zero results along with every belt tried.

I may tackle the problem one day when I have time or when I install the e-fan. It is just too painful an exercise with the fan and I don't have the time.
Bottom left was the bad one....lube had leaked out the back side of the seal....

Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot2
Not sure how to get it any tighter. I don't know if I can get a smaller belt on or not. I might buy a new tensioner though. Do they make an aftermarket tensioner for our trucks?
Yes they do make Aftermarket tensioners for our trucks....I did a thumper racing one with a 90mm pulley....which was an upgrade from the stock 76mm one....

A 100mm pulley on the tensioner will definately give the belt more surface area to contact........

Last edited by 88racing; 05-16-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
Are you sure your belt is slipping at high boost? Are you talking about when shifting gears or?

Your dyno charts didn't show any belt slip in them. Are you sure it's not some other pulley freezing up on you?
I'm not 100% sure, but it only "squeals" at high boost and didn't do that before that day. I may just put aftermarket pulleys on the entire thing and be done with that part of the equation!

88racing,
How do you like the Metco pulleys? http://www.metcomotorsports.com/prod...rod=MIP%2D2005

Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Yes they do make Aftermarket tensioners for our trucks....I did a thumper racing one with a 90mm pulley....which was an upgrade from the stock 76mm one....

A 100mm pulley on the tensioner will definately eliminate any belt wrapping issues....
Thanks!! That'll round it out the change-over.

Quick Reply: Cold Belt Noise