F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Superchargers & Turbochargers (https://www.f150online.com/forums/superchargers-turbochargers-77/)
-   -   1998 F150 4.2L V6 turbo or supercharger...??? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/superchargers-turbochargers/432941-1998-f150-4-2l-v6-turbo-supercharger.html)

stugraham 11-13-2010 11:28 PM

1998 F150 4.2L V6 turbo or supercharger...???

have you guys got any idea of whether i can put a turbo or supercharge my engine.. its a little 4 2 but id like to do something stupid with it... let me know if theres anything i can do and how to go abouts doing it!! thanks!!

97XL 11-15-2010 02:02 AM

There are ways to do both, neither of them cheap. You can put an Eaton style roots blower from a Lightning or a Mustang on it but you need to get an adapter plate to mount it to the intake. Only two places I know of that sell them are supersixmotorsports.com and moranav6racing.com. About $1000 for the part. You can go with a centrifugal style blower as well. Turbos are good as well, just a lot of fab work to be done for the piping.

There's tons of stuff I left out or forgot, but this isn't an easy or cheap mod. If you are not going to be tearing down the motor and going with beefed up/forged internals I wouldn't go higher than 6-8 PSI of boost.

There's tons of info on this site from guys who have gone FI on their trucks.

www.v6f150.com

150xlt 11-15-2010 07:21 AM

If you can do all the fab work yourself then a turbo is the way to go. If you have to pay someone to build it then its going to get expensive really quick. I found deals for about a year on parts and stock piled them before starting. I should have less than 3k in my whole turbo kit, which i cut no corners on. Everything is new, and i spent the extra for stainless everything. Belts are for holdin your pants up:devil:

Pacificsvt 08-10-2018 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 150xlt (Post 4397153)
If you can do all the fab work yourself then a turbo is the way to go. If you have to pay someone to build it then its going to get expensive really quick. I found deals for about a year on parts and stock piled them before starting. I should have less than 3k in my whole turbo kit, which i cut no corners on. Everything is new, and i spent the extra for stainless everything. Belts are for holdin your pants up:devil:

agreed turbo is much more efficient at power making ...but ..the Easton whine (especially with welded silencer ports , sounds amazing and turns heads like crazy.iv had a few turbo cars but never a supercharger.

Pacificsvt 09-22-2018 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pacificsvt (Post 5239399)

agreed turbo is much more efficient at power making ...but ..the Easton whine (especially with welded silencer ports , sounds amazing and turns heads like crazy.iv had a few turbo cars but never a supercharger.

I agree the wanton sounds kick ass and would make me happy every time I drove it.iv also had a turbo car civic ..(don’t hate lol) and it was a blast and great learning experience.hands down turbo would make the power I want and that bob whoosh sounds so good but not eatin whine good..I’ve read lots and continue todo so but it’s not getting my decision easier.money plays such a large role in the choice unfortunately..if the adapter plate was more affordable and the m112 prices weren’t rising (I check eBay daily and asking $500 us for an m112 only good for parts ) .it’s be the way I’d go .. but I see turbo setups from Stanford guys that are getting out of the build for reasonable prices...