my 6 to 8 rib conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming home from work this morning I did three WOT runs just to test this non-slip pulley out. I noticed after each run when I let off the gas I heard a ripping sound, I pull up in my driveway and pop the hood. Below is what the ripping sound was...basically it turned the 8 rib belt into a 7 rib belt.

So is it the gatorback that is not compatible with the non-slip grips machined in the pulley or what? I got all kinds of yellow fiber fluff everywhere in the engine bay now ... I don't know, if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. I am going to try a regular old gates belt and see what that does, if it rips up like the gatorback did maybe another pulley made with non-grip features and just live with the slip. I am hoping its the grips that caused this and not something else.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:07 AM
dang! your truck ate that pulley up

Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like something is out of alignment to me.
Check the pulley for any rough spots too.

Phil

Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by phil6608
Looks like something is out of alignment to me.
Check the pulley for any rough spots too.

Phil
Thanks Phil,
I checked the pulley several times, it looks good, feels nice and smooth except for the grips cut in it. You might be right about the alignment, the majority of the rib facing out towards the front of the engine and portions of the rib behind that one are just ate up like it could of rolled up onto a pulley, the rest of the belt is unharmed. I guess I can have someone rev it up while I watch and see whats happening. I got to get a vacum on that engine bay, too many fluffies to pick by hand.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts

kinda hard to tell from the picture angle but it looks like the P/S might be too far out

Old 04-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by batn68
I did in fact have to shim up the jackshaft pulley a bit as this was the source of the belt creeping up onto the new alternator.
Did you push the pulley out?

Old 04-21-2010, 02:42 PM
So is it the gatorback that is not compatible with the non-slip grips machined in the pulley or what? I got all kinds of yellow fiber fluff everywhere in the engine bay now ... I don't know, if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. I am going to try a regular old gates belt and see what that does, if it rips up like the gatorback did maybe another pulley made with non-grip features and just live with the slip. I am hoping its the grips that caused this and not something else.
Gatorbacks and Non-slip pulleys and not compatible from my own experience. I have a Reichard racing pulley on my mustang with 8 rib set-up and Gatorback got shreded while Gates belts don't. Seems to be the common knowledge in the mustang community as well, I should've listened but I'm hard headed.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by weazel
Did you push the pulley out?
Yeah I had to push it out about 1/8th an inch.

Originally Posted by wld_wst
Gatorbacks and Non-slip pulleys and not compatible from my own experience. I have a Reichard racing pulley on my mustang with 8 rib set-up and Gatorback got shreded while Gates belts don't. Seems to be the common knowledge in the mustang community as well, I should've listened but I'm hard headed.
I got a gates on there now, its the magnuson 6 rib although its not a real test I was revving the truck up in the driveway and saw nor heard anything out of whack, I will have to take it for a spin on the streets if they dry up a bit. Your shredding problem was it even all across the belt? I just had the two outermost ribs get tore up.

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw

kinda hard to tell from the picture angle but it looks like the P/S might be too far out
I have had the p/s pulley on there for almost two months with and without the supercharger running, today was the first time the belt shredded on the outer ribs, before it was on the inner ribs due to upper pulley alignment issues, but I will re-check it and re-seat it just to be sure.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I have had the p/s pulley on there for almost two months with and without the supercharger running, today was the first time the belt shredded on the outer ribs, before it was on the inner ribs due to upper pulley alignment issues, but I will re-check it and re-seat it just to be sure.
ya it may just be because of the tall lip on the pulley that it looks like its out further

Old 04-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Coming in to work tonight I did only two WOT pulls, didn't want to chance me being stranded in the middle of the night out here in Durham as it can kill ya . I did not hear any of the ripping (it literally sounds like someone ripping a sheet) as I did on the gatorback after I let off of the gas. I parked it at work and popped the hood, the magnuson/gates belt still intact no signs of wear or tear that I could see in the bad lighting. This is the 6 rib belt and its set on the back 6 ribs of the pulley system, today I will move the belt up to use the 6 front ribs of the setup and do a couple runs to see if there are any problems, if none I will try to get a few 8 rib gates belts in my size and see how it runs from there. I will update later on the outcome.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Update, I moved the belt (currently 6 rib gates/magnuson) to the front 6 ribs, ran it pretty hard most of Thursday no issues at all. I drop the kid and wife off at school for a field trip this morning and get on the highway and run her wide open and I heard the rip again. I get home and have basically 1 foot sections of clean cut rib laying on various parts, it does look like what was mentioned earlier about alignment issues. I have shimmed out the alt pulley with one 14 gauge shim, as it looks like it might be running up onto the front of the alt pulley and cutting out the first rib. I have it on the back 6 ribs again to see if I can get it to hop over on the extra ribs instead of the pulley lip.

I couldn't find any stores with my 8 rib size in gates, just gatorback and dayco, so I had to order one from rock. If it comes down to it are the daycos any good? I will update later again on how she runs.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I here that the Dayco's are good.
I ordered one off Amazon and I just haven't put it on yet. I think it was only about 29 to 35 bucks. Cant remember...lol

Phil

Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 PM
I get my Gates belts from NAPA

Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had a Dayco 8 rib on for a couple of years, works good.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 PM
O.K., I have shimmed out the alt. pulley as per my last update and also had to shim out the idler pulley for the supercharger. This was done a few days back and I have yet to have any problems with the first two ribs getting destroyed. I am still using a 6 rib belt running on the outer 6 ribs of the pulley setup, I don't want to waste anymore 8 rib belts testing this thing out. I will probably run it with just the 6 ribs for a bit longer just to be certain we finally got it figured out. I will update in about a week or so on how she runs unless I destroy the belt again.

Quick Reply: my 6 to 8 rib conversion