procharger 8 rib belt???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I still have to get some good prices on the 8 rib grooved idler pulleys but the crank pulley is $300 plus shipping and then the head pulley can be had from multiple places, I prefer the Riechard Racing non slip ones but they are $160.00

ASP Racing is the ones willing to make the crank pulley

asp@aspracing.com or call Lee @ 1-281-261-5811

I know this conversion will probably cost around $500 with all 4 of the new pulleys needed if we pay list prices. it's worth it to me to maintain current mounting system and piping

Old 01-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm using the interchangable version.....scroll down. I'm not sure I would make another purchase from RPM, bad rep lately.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/lightaspm.htm

Old 01-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i havent had any slip issues with my P1 6rib.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:32 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
I'm using the interchangable version.....scroll down. I'm not sure I would make another purchase from RPM, bad rep lately.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/lightaspm.htm
I believe the Procharger pulley is set closer to the crank pulley so the L setup might not work. Truck is covered in snow and I am too lazy to go out and look.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JMC
I believe the Procharger pulley is set closer to the crank pulley so the L setup might not work. Truck is covered in snow and I am too lazy to go out and look.
Snow? What's that?

I made my own bracketry after I had the pulley mounted. There is exactly 1.0" between the oem and Moto Blue.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 AM

JMC hence why I found the custom made pulley

ONELOWF, that's another option and the one recomended by Mike Dunn , I believe it's the '03 cobra spacers that will push the procharger bracket forward and let it line up with the lightning/harley pulley

Old 02-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by CDB03STX
Belt slippage would be my only concern. I know some have added another idler pulley which gives more "wrap around" across the charger pulley. An 8 rib maybe overkill for 12 lbs.

Do you have any slipping problems?

CDB03STX
I believe it will be WAY over kill for 8psi. The tensionor they supply is decent, and shouldn't need to be upgraded unless you plan to run quite a bit of boost.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
JMC

Originally Posted by spoolin spec-v
I believe it will be WAY over kill for 8psi. The tensionor they supply is decent, and shouldn't need to be upgraded unless you plan to run quite a bit of boost.
8 ribs on a stock boost set up will allow for less tension on the whole pulley system which will make for longer bearing life. Mine is showing the first sighs of bearing wear.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:57 PM

I can get you a 7.25" crank pulley
but the 9 inch should be good for around 16psi with a 3.70 upper, the other good thing about the 8 rib is that it makes the F1 head unit more feasable

Old 02-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I can get you a 7.25" crank pulley
but the 9 inch should be good for around 16psi with a 3.70 upper, the other good thing about the 8 rib is that it makes the F1 head unit more feasable
Procharger is 20 min away, I can get it too :P BUT, why would you need an F-1 on something like this? A p1-sc-1 would be PLENTY

Old 02-02-2009, 02:39 AM

Procharger is 20 min away, I can get it too :P BUT, why would you need an F-1 on something like this? A p1-sc-1 would be PLENTY
procharger doesn't offer an 8 rib crank pulley for their systems and I found a place that will make the 8 rib crank pulley's at the owners requested size

FYI, my P1SC-1 makes about 14.5# with the 3.70 head pulley on the stock long block and no it's not enough hence why I've been looking the 8 rib system VS a cog drive, SAL's F1R procharged lightning made over 700/700

Old 02-15-2009, 02:16 PM
JMC

All this talk about wider belts has me concerned about the stress imposed on the crankshaft by the extra pulley that is added by some bower systems. The stock lightning uses a support to help counteract this stress. My system just adds a pulley without any allowance for this. I got this from the Ford What's New for 1999 site. 6.8L/5.4L/4.6L modular engines may be sensitive to the addition of auxiliary power taken from the crankshaft if the forward crankshaft bearing is not additionally supported. Clutch pumps, air compressors, auxiliary alternators and air compressors are typical applications affected. A minimal load may be acceptable, but not fully researched by Ford. However, excessive cantilever-radial loading of the crankshaft pulley may starve the bearing of proper lubrication and engine failure may result. A bolt-on crankshaft bearing support member is recommended and being developed. Availability from Ford is planned before year-end 1998.

I know that a good number of Lightning owners change thier lower pulley and remove the support but they also don't put on the same amount of miles or idle their engines as much as a work truck with add on accessories.

Comments?

Old 02-15-2009, 02:55 PM

good point JMC

do you think I need to get someone to design a caged crank pulley for the 8 rib set up???

Old 02-15-2009, 03:09 PM
JMC

Originally Posted by tarajerame
good point JMC

do you think I need to get someone to design a caged crank pulley for the 8 rib set up???
I imagine it wouldn't hurt to know the cost. For some reason your post reminded me of a friend who used to work out in Alberta, Canada at a Ford dealership. Most of trucks were work trucks. I'll ask him if he knows anything about it.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 AM
I replaced the stock caged lower pulley on my 04 Cobra for a 4# lower uncaged pulley and use this car as a daily driver with no problems although only the alt and blower are spun withthe outer 4#pulley, but I can't see it being an issue, unless extreme belt tension is used. You can pich up secon hand lower lighning pulleys for under 100$ on Lightning sites and if all that is needed to make this work is spacers for the blower bracket to move it closer to the radiator, I'd do it in a second. I'm running a D1sc with a 6 rib @12 psi and it usuallly doesn't slip although the belt is tighter than I feel comfortable with. I'd love for an inexpensive way to convert to an 8 rib setup and the extra idler under the head unit works well but in conjunction to the 8 rib would be even better.

Quick Reply: procharger 8 rib belt???