Turbo 5.4 3V???

Old 11-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo 5.4 3V???

Hey guys, I did tons of searching both on this forum and others and I have not come up with a deffinitive answer on my question. In any case I'm looking into doing a twin turbo setup on my 06 F150 5.4 3V and I just wanted to know if anyone has already done a single or double turbo setup on it yet??? I know there is akit for the older 5.4 2V...

I hear some people are having problems with the tuning due to the throttle by wire. In any case if anyone could shed some light on whether it has been done or not it would be very helpfull. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Go to got-pressure.com and ask Pilot about them. He builds custom set-ups, I am about to get one of his custom T-67 set-ups on my '05 4.6 and going to drive 8 hours and even pay for him to install it. Oh, and their getting just a little over 400 rwhp on a stock 4.6 with upgraded fuel system

Last edited by ParkM; 11-03-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:35 AM
hmm... i dunno how it works but i would think it would be pricey and so not worth it if your going for either one. the turbo are just going to be to big and must have some lag with them. you'd have to keep the pressure down to like 8 psi between two turbos. i think to have something reasonable. you need atleast two 60 trim turbos for such. and a very big T series turbo for a single set up. honestly Supercharge would be a better way to go. sure you could do turbos but at 1000 dollars a turbo. plus Intercooler. pipes. manifold and other misc. stuff IMO not worth it. just my .02

Old 11-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Let me know if you do it, i want to see it when it's done.. i live in Brandon too! That would be sweeeett!!

Old 11-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Buck50
hmm... i dunno how it works but i would think it would be pricey and so not worth it if your going for either one. the turbo are just going to be to big and must have some lag with them. you'd have to keep the pressure down to like 8 psi between two turbos. i think to have something reasonable. you need atleast two 60 trim turbos for such. and a very big T series turbo for a single set up. honestly Supercharge would be a better way to go. sure you could do turbos but at 1000 dollars a turbo. plus Intercooler. pipes. manifold and other misc. stuff IMO not worth it. just my .02
I think you are making some assumptions that may not be accurate given today's turbo technology. I agree that twins can be pricey, but a properly set-up single turbo won't necessarily have lag and should be comparable in price to, say, a polished Whipple, with the potential for better performance.

To the OP, I'd talk to Pilot as noted.
He can set you straight.

I'm sorta stuck because there are no turbos that are approved for use in CA, but if I could I think I'd run a rear-mount setup.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by FX4F150FX4
Hey guys, I did tons of searching both on this forum and others and I have not come up with a deffinitive answer on my question. In any case I'm looking into doing a twin turbo setup on my 06 F150 5.4 3V and I just wanted to know if anyone has already done a single or double turbo setup on it yet??? I know there is akit for the older 5.4 2V...

I hear some people are having problems with the tuning due to the throttle by wire. In any case if anyone could shed some light on whether it has been done or not it would be very helpfull. Thanks in advance!
Have you talked to any of the local tuners to see if they might have some idea of how to tune around the drive by wire? I have heard of FordSpeed, they are local in our area. They might could help you with that aspect..

Old 11-09-2006, 04:51 PM
I've talked to race related and they gave me a price quote of $6000 with twin T3's... Everything would be included in that price (i.e- tuning, b.o.v's, piping, my choice in brand of turbos, fuel pump and injectors etc). I'm stopping by coastal chassis dyno to get some price quotes from them as well today after work so I'll keep you all updated. I really want to get this done soon so I can enjoy it during Floridas cooler nights. But on the same note I dont want to rush anything. Great things are always worth waiting for!

Old 11-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by FX4F150FX4
I've talked to race related and they gave me a price quote of $6000 with twin T3's... Everything would be included in that price (i.e- tuning, b.o.v's, piping, my choice in brand of turbos, fuel pump and injectors etc).

Considerng that's about what a Whipple or Roush supercharger costs, that sounds like a great deal.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
Considerng that's about what a Whipple or Roush supercharger costs, that sounds like a great deal.
It's a great deal... I checked another local place and they quoted me $9500 for a single turbo and another $1500 for twins! I think I'm going to be going with race related. I just need to ask them a few more specific questions. Stay tuned folks!

Old 11-10-2006, 07:51 AM
A properly sized turbo will not have lag and make all the power you want.... Easier on the engine also.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
A properly sized turbo will not have lag and make all the power you want.... Easier on the engine also.
I know... I just want to be able to have twin turbos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo 5.4 3V???