Lightning time

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning time

The L motor is here and all together (sorry for the poor quality pic I am new to posting pics).
Stock reman L block
Apten ported
Denso It-22
160 amp altenator
waiting on pleneum spacer and egr tube

will try and install in the next couple of weeks!!!!!

Old 08-08-2004, 01:22 PM
brahmus,

Looks good! Look forward to reading about your install.

Old 08-13-2004, 09:07 AM
Update! I have changed trucks, instead of putting it in my 99 ext. cab 4x4 i bought a 01 silver screw 4x4 9" Looks great. I started pulling the motor in it last night should finish tonight but have to install the tranny and motor in the 99 before i can install the BEAST! it will be a LONG weekend!!

Old 08-15-2004, 12:32 PM
[IMG]
Well there is the beast in the new truck!!!!

[IMG]
This is the new truck. Rims have got to go and need some gap guards but potential it has......

Heres the 99 receiving the transplant. oh it is up and running no problem now to make a FOR SALE sign....

Now i need to tie up loose ends on the lighting swap and i'm waiting on a few parts from madenterprise.com.....

Last edited by brahmus; 08-15-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:53 PM
brahmus,

I got to say from the outset that, your project sets a new standard for modifying our trucks!!!!!!! To remove an engine out of truck A., remove the engine from truck B., then install the engine from truck A. into truck B., THEN install a new engine into truck A., with just the help of your friends over a weekend!!!!!!!! Dam$!!! thats what I would call Ford Tough! haha! You must be friends with Kpaton, he installed an ATI in his truck in the parking lot of his apartment in the middle of Winter!

What kind of torque converter did you use with the built 4R70W
transmission? You say it is an Art Carr, but is it a f150 verision or a lightning version?

Please provide updates as you can, your project is very cool, very cool indeed.

Last edited by iron horse; 08-15-2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:05 PM
ummm i don't know all the details with the torque converter. The tranny shop that i used ordered it with all the info i gave them..cam profiles, boost, tire size, gears. etc... I'd have to say an f150 because i don't know if the 4r70w is the same as the 4r100 but that would just be guess.. sorry for the lack of detail there..

Old 08-17-2004, 10:01 PM
update:

my phenolic spacer came in with the new prebent egr tube. for those who don't know, the phenolic spacer goes between the intake plenum and the opening of the supercharger. i'm not sure of its origin but i'm willing to bet it has something to do with throttle body spacers...... now before you start bashing me there is more. the phenolic spacer is about 3/8" thick and is said to help straighten the air flow but it is nonmetal therefore the real benefit is lower charge temps!!! is has been proven by many lightning owners and if it helps reliablity i'm all for it. Preventing detonation is my #1 goal. Now this has left me thinking, maybe the spacer is only that thick due to clearance issues?? since i have a 3" body lift maybe i could engineer a 3" phenolic spacer!!!

anyway back to the buisness i bought this spacer kit with the egr tube from JDM, now Mike Dunn at madenterprise.com said he used his stock egr tube and bent it alittle and it worked he also said he could get the spacers cheaper but since i spoke to him after i bought it and he doesn't advertise it i'm SOL! I also started my electric fan install. It is a Troyer Performance dual 16" fan kit. I went with it because it was cheaper than the rest. Now it seems to be a bit more work but i can remotely opperate them and one is set to come on with the AC. they claim this is the only kit that can do this. so while it is cheaper, i think it might take more time to install. I'm not finish but so far the kit has everything and the instructions are great.
here are a few pics of the different tubes

and the fans:

Old 08-18-2004, 09:00 AM
i think i'll wait on that but can i get more info and a pic on the dual core? how do i tell between the two? might be a future upgrade!

Old 08-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dual core is the OE Lightning radiator. The LH end tank is the same thickness and the right is thicker to match, it has a second row of tubes. Definitely helps keep the temp stable.

Old 08-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Update! I spoke to Mike Dunn yesterday and he had all my parts but one i added late sooo he will send out everything else today!! On another note the electric fan installation is complete even though the instructions could have contain a bit more info i rate the install an "8". on a scale of 1 to 10 concerning quality. I won't be able to do anything this weekend due to other plans but i still have some stuff to work on next week until Mike's stuff gets here! gauges, vacum line confusion, etc.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Update! a nice little care package from madenterprise.com come in today I got in such a hurry putting things on i didnt' take any pics Buttttt all i have left is to run the heat exchanger and hoses, mount the reservoir and hook up the new fuel pump. I'll order the chip and exhaust tomorrow and vrrrroooommm! in a week are two depending on shipping. on another note i sold my other truck so funding is up!!!

Old 08-29-2004, 10:07 PM
After you get it running, are you going to get a dyno tune? How much boost do you plan to run? stock 8psi or higher?

.......I can not say it enough....great project

Old 08-29-2004, 10:21 PM
set up is as here: (long list)

Remanufactured Ford lighting motor 3yr/36Kmile warranty
01 Blower setup from ebay
Apten Ported eaton
phenolic spacer
Volant intake
4lb lower pulley
dynatech longtubes and midpipes
Mike Troyer dual 16" electric fans
afco heat exchanger
interchiller fans for exchanger
yellow top optima
gauges: (all autometer)
boost
A/F
Fuel pressure
Tranny temp
Race built 4R70W with Art Carr extra plate clutch pack and converter
FTVB
Apten Chip (suggested by Mike Dunn)
Edit: 255 Lph Bosch fuel pump

I'm sure i am missing something but thats most of what i can recall off the top of my head. So i'll be setup for 12Lbs of boost but i've been told you pick up 1 or 2lb from the port job and i have also heard rumors about lossing a lb or 2 from the long tubes so i don't know the exact # until i crank it which should be this week.
The dyantechs should be here monday, chip and Heat exchanger brackets will be hear mid to late in the week and we will be ready to roll. I will try and get a dyno tune to verify everything is Kosher. Though i am not aware of anyone in the immediate area that has a dyno. I think i will be reliable, most of the "L's" on the forum are running a 4lber no problem and i've upgraded the heat exchanger system and included the phenolic spacer not to mention i will be on 38" tires and WOT will not be an everyday occurance.

Last edited by brahmus; 09-01-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Great List......you really did your homework! haha!

Off the line, down the line and across the line, your 4x4 is gonna shock a lot of other drivers.

Are you installing a 255 lph "high pressure" in tank fuel pump?

There are standard and high pressure versions.

Old 08-30-2004, 10:10 PM
.......are you going to take any preventive measures to reduce the risk of spark plug blow out?

I just passed up a chance to get some 01' heads that had the thread inserts installed.......I spent the money on a steering gear box, but anyway.........

I know that 03' or later lightning heads have more threads. You can also put thread inserts in as well. But, I am hoping that the core problem is using anti-seize and not keeping the plugs tight.

......I am still debating on whether or not to remove the heads while it is just setting there, and installing the inserts. I do not want to screw the heads up.........and if its possible, I will! haha!

Quick Reply: Lightning time