'14 F-150 FX4 w/ Sony sound

Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 F-150 FX4 w/ Sony sound

Hey all

Been doing some searches but nothing immediate came up. I just installed an FiX and TwK from JL Audio. Very happy with the products, however...I ran in to some odd issues and I'm curious if anyone else faced something similar.

Per JL's advice, I ran only the front doors and tweeters to the FiX which should have provided a full range signal. Oddly enough it didn't. My subs (2 10s) were weak and hollow with no low end. 20-50hz roughly were missing. I have calibrated the FiX each time I changed anything.

Has anyone else seen an issue with the high levels out of the Sony amp not providing a full range signal? I'm aware of clipping issues with the Sony sub outputs, but to resolve the issue I connected one sub level out of the Sony amp to the FiX as a mono connection. Now the subs bang but I also know about the problems this can introduce.

Any guidance? For reference, here is my setup.

Factory HU
FiX 82 w/ TOSlink out to the TwK D8
TwK runs RCA to:
Kenwood amp running my subs
Rockford P400x4 running the front drivers and tweeters (active)
Rockford P300x2 running the rear doors
Polk audio pro series in all 4 doors
Kenwood eXcelon 10" subs (2)

Thanks a ton in advance. Also, I have a pretty lengthy thread over at DYImobileaudio.com if anyone is interested in the link.

Last thing, I have an RTA mic and REW. Once I get home Friday I plan to do some tweaking and playing to try to resolve this. Suggestions welcome!

Looking forward to the discussion

Last edited by Valow; 01-11-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:43 PM
First, try adding the subwoofer outputs into the mix. If that doesn't work, try the rear doors. I've been told by a friend with a Taurus that the subwoofer outputs are too noisy to be useful, but worth a try.

I basically ran into the same issue with an Audison Bit One processor. I ended up bypassing the factory audio completely, and running an external DAC plugged into an iPad to send TOSLINK optical directly to my Audison unit.

When I tried to use the Aux Input from the iPad using the same DAC (the DAC outputs both analog and digital audio), and then re-tuned the "auto correction" within the Bit One, I saw the exact same thing you're mentioning while just tapping the front woofers and tweeters.

At that point, I was so disgusted, I just went with the direct optical connection.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Hey thanks for the reply. As of yesterday I installed the PAC Audio FD21-AP4. Completely bypasses the factory amp/DSP. Very, very happy with the results. Upgrading subs this weekend so I'll retune after that

Old 02-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Do you have MyTouch Sync?

Old 02-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Yessir. The PAC piece was just released and I used the TOS link back to the TwK. The FiX is no longer installed.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:46 PM
What does the frequency response look like with that in place?

Old 02-13-2017, 03:27 PM
I had a few distractions after the install, so I wasn't able to zero out my TwK and pull readings or re-tune anything. I'll be doing that this weekend so I can certainly tell you what the TwK is seeing coming in to it via REW. I'd be happy to post that after I have it captured.

Search this Thread