DIY Rear Seat lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Rear Seat lift kit

Anybody actually buy/make their own parts to do a DIY rear seat lift kit to fit a bigger Sub Box?
From what I've heard and read LMI is the only known distributor for F-150 rear seat lifts. Heard they get the job done and is expensive, but made cheaply.

-It also seems pretty simple to go out and buy the parts and save a lot of $$$ doing it yourself. Has anybody done this? Wooden blocks are a no-no I hear. Looking for 1.5-2" lift.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd just look into fabbing up some custom steel/aluminum blocks....

Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

i know jbrew did his and some one else. just get a sub with small enough airspace to fit with out a lift. (stereo integrity bm mkii cough cough)

Old 07-27-2010, 05:38 PM
I used wooden blocks, and had no problems putting them in or taking them out. Whats the big deal about using them? I never really thought there could be a problem. I didnt spend a penny and got almost 1.5 extra inches of room.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Diy

Originally Posted by thejake1989
i know jbrew did his and some one else. just get a sub with small enough airspace to fit with out a lift. (stereo integrity bm mkii cough cough)
Already have two 10" Audiobahn subs - their mounting depth is 5 3/4". It seems like my subs will hit the floor when they fire, hence why I need to raise the seats.
I e-mailed Supercrewsound.com with him asking if their box would work and they said

"SuperCrewSound
to me show details Jul 12
Those subs will not work with the box. There is not enough room under the box for them to operate. You need about 2.5” of clearance and our box only has 1.25”.

Thanks
Mark Markham
SuperCrewSound Inc.
877-424-0979

Originally Posted by kylek74
I used wooden blocks, and had no problems putting them in or taking them out. Whats the big deal about using them? I never really thought there could be a problem. I didnt spend a penny and got almost 1.5 extra inches of room.
I'll like to use wooden blocks if I can. Tho a friend of mine said it might probably void any warranty my insurance would cover. Say somebody hit me from the side, like a T-bone accident and the bench might come apart, and I had friends back there.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:59 PM
O ok well I don't know about the insurance part. The seat is still bolted to the main body (the seat won't move at all) so I don't see how that could really mess with anything insurance wise if something did happen.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 PM
I will try to get the link but someone on here just used metal washers to lift the seat when I was looking into this.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Why not upfire and modify the bottom of the seat?

Old 07-29-2010, 05:07 PM
I suppose that'd work, would it? I ordered the box today. It's an Atrend box,
$120 shipped to my door. Doesn't say in specs but it's 5 3/4 Mounting Depth.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Atrend+-...ual&cp=1&lp=14

Would turning the box upside down(so upfire now).. give me 2" of clearance or so needed for the subs to fire?

Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 PM
That's a pretty nice box, but does your back seat Have the brace on the right or left? That's usually what the knotch in the box is for, to fit around the bracing. So you might not be able to flip the box over.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, I used wooden blocks. I went with 3" to keep the seat belts functional. I made my own boxes to form fit the cab. They were L'ed on bottoms to fit all the way back, against the cab wall. The breathers were ported out the rear pockets as well. Tight 12 inch boxes, but they kick that bass pretty good....Still! - Haven't blown them yet lol.

Last edited by jbrew; 07-29-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:00 AM
That's a pretty nice box, but does your back seat Have the brace on the right or left? That's usually what the knotch in the box is for, to fit around the bracing. So you might not be able to flip the box over.
aye thank you. heard atrend was good, and even my major retailer in Best Buy sells em.
Plan is to keep the box exactly the same, just prop it up couple inches, after the seat comes up cpl of inches of course. (still open for suggestions on materials and where to get them)
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea, I used wooden blocks. I went with 3" to keep the seat belts functional. I made my own boxes to form fit the cab. They were L'ed on bottoms to fit all the way back, against the cab wall. The breathers were ported out the rear pockets as well. Tight 12 inch boxes, but they kick that bass pretty good....Still! - Haven't blown them yet lol.
thanks for the reply jbrew. so wood's the weapon of choice. sounds like you had a major custom application with that setup. Any preference on how to do mine? Just 4 blocks all the same height with the same bolts?
...and damn you have a lot of photos.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by SAtownTX
I will try to get the link but someone on here just used metal washers to lift the seat when I was looking into this.
This is what I did. Just removed the seat bolts and used metal washers to lift the seat about 3/4" or so.

Sell the audiobling subs to some high schooler and get something that fits and sounds good. The attrend boxes are good quality but I had problems with excursion room when I used my Adire Koda 10s in it.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 AM
same here, been a carpenter all my life, if you are worried about crash stuff and wood blocks!! the seat belt is NOT ANCHOREDto the same spot!! in a crash that makes you worrie about the back seat hitting you in theASS, i think you will have much more in and on your hands than a WOODEN block, How stupid is it to pay for anything that is alreadyat hand? Usehard wood and pay attention to what the hell you are doing!!
Send me the money for your sub lift kit. I will send back the propper WOODEN lift! kids WISE UP!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:40 AM
got 2 yes 2 12 inch kickers and made my own lift, still haveroom for kick *** interior blue leds at the seat line

Quick Reply: DIY Rear Seat lift kit