Suggestions for component system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for component system?

I am looking to upgrade the stereo in my 05 SCrew. I am just planning on replacing the high/mids, no sub. I was looking at a component set. Should I do both component sets one for back and one for front doors or would that be over kill? Should I just get an extra pair of 6x8's for the back? I plan on replacing the factory headunit also with a 50x4 aftermarket. How much of a difference would an amp make, would it be recommended?

New to the site and this is my first post. Thanks for any input

Old 03-05-2009, 02:55 AM
First of all welcome to the site!!!

if you get components get an amp...it will make a difference. I just bought the alpine spx-17pro's for my truck. So far they are pretty nice, but everyone has different tastes when it comes to speakers. Go listen to some at your local shop. Get 6x8's or whatever for the back, getting comps back there isnt worth it. You want your sound stage to come from the front. You could always buy a 4 channel amp or even a 5 channel(if you wanted to run a sub later), run the comps in the front off 2 channels and bridge the other 2 channels for a sub, then run your back speakers off the headunit. Just a thought

Old 03-05-2009, 03:43 AM
Cho - read some of the other threads for a while and see if your question has already been answered. I know myself and others have covered almost every possible circumstance (budget, power and sound goals). If you have any questions then holla back at us.

Welcome to the forums

Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks cdiddy, I was wondering about the channel usuage for a component sets. I dont really I will be running a sub. Should I just get a 2 channel amp for the components then, or still do the 4 channel and use 2 for front and 2 for back?

Low e red, I have looked through the forums for a hour or two total and a few hours on crutchfield. Just wanted to get some detailed feedback to my truck. Sorry if I newbed the post

Old 03-05-2009, 01:38 PM
2 channel would be fine. Just amp the fronts. Run the rear door speakers off the head unit.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
First off, welcome to the forums man!

Secondly, how much are you looking to spend on your speakers? Something like the Alpine Type X's Cdiddy mentioned are gonna run a lot more then something like a Infinity Reference 6x8 set.

Id just get the 4 channel, and if you only wanna amp the fronts, just use the 2 channels. That way, if you ever wanna amp the rears in the future, you dont have to buy a new amp like you would if you just did a 2 channel.

what kind of head unit are you looking at?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I am not looking the spend a whole lot. I had kappa's coaxials in my mustang and liked them. So I thought the reference components would work for my needs and I saw them for $100 shipped. I am looking at the PIONEER AVH-P4000DVD head unit. Any suggestions on an amp? I was looking at a cheaper 4 channel Phoenix Gold R8 800W max 500W RMS for around 100 shipped.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:55 PM
i dont see anything wrong with the PG amp if you can get it shipped for $100. Just remember if you buy off ebay and that thing breaks your gonna be pissed. You could go with an Elemental Design 4 channel amp brand new straight from the company for $135.
www.edesignaudio.com

Last edited by cdiddy4224; 03-06-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:35 PM
The place I would be ordering is a website who also has an ebay store and they do give 1 year warranties. sonicelectronix.com is the particular site I am looking at. I would be ordering from the ebay stores because they usually offer free shipping and they do not on their site. They have the cheapest prices I have found.

btw it is www.edesignaudio.com not www.elementaldesign.com

Old 03-06-2009, 03:44 AM
Well, I really recommend adding a sub, it really will make the difference between okay and well done. It doesnt have to be large and the rear channels bridged works fairly well normally to drive it.

I would definately recommend a eD amp over the PG. But if this is seriously a bargain system, check out Caraudio.com or Diymobileaudio.com's for sale section. Normally, you can find some decent products rather cheap.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Rear fill SUCKS.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:26 AM
mSaLL; So you are saying not to go with just a pair of 6x8's in the back? Recommending 2 sets of components?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:57 AM
No, he's saying don't use any rear speakers at all. Rear fill brings your sound stage back behind you. You want to keep the stage in Front of you, just like a concert. If you're running amped components in the front, no one in the rear seat will have trouble hearing the music. Besides, you sit in the front, why worry about the back. Save your money by not buying rear speakers and spend a little more on a better set of components or an amp.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Gotcha, thanks country

Old 03-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Well I have added a set of Kicker 6x8 components in the front doors and a set of Kicker 6x8 coaxials for the rear doors. I am using a JL Audio 300/4 on the door speakers and I absolutel love it. I have been using the stock HU (indash 6 disc changer) up until 2 weeks ago. I have now replaced the stock headunit with a Panasonic 7" touchscreen TV/DVD combo. I loved the sound with the OE HU before but now its just that much more amazing. Im still trying to decide on a stealth box sub combo to complement everything else , but never the less im still searching.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for component system?