F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Speakers & Subwoofers (https://www.f150online.com/forums/speakers-subwoofers-57/)
-   -   15 vs 18 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/speakers-subwoofers/348316-15-vs-18-a.html)

coobies5 10-07-2008 12:04 AM

ahhh, h/u you can set the subwoofer level all the way up, thats basically telling the sub to see full voltage from the h/u to the amp, and bass, i'd leave at 0 or how you have it, i have my h/u set up at
bass - 0 treb - +3 loudness off
bass crossover is at +12 at 60hz (i believe) treb - 10khz
never turn it up passed 25-26 out of 35

mSaLL150 10-07-2008 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by coobies5 (Post 3402467)
yeah, thats why i did a 18" dont know anyone around my area running a 18 in a truck!
and no sir, just stock 130 amp alt. i think it'll hold up fine if i add like 4 big batteries and some runs of 0 gauge

All you need is 1 deep cycle battery and the big 3 upgrade and a high output alternator. multiple batteries wont do anything for you until you upgrade your electrical, the stock alternator will only do so much.

Also, you guys just get these big ass subs to go boom down the street, but have stock speakers up front..how can you stand that? No front sound stage, just bass blasting in your head...

I guess thats whats cool nowadays...:confused:

You shouldn't have anything set on the bass boost. Your gains should be set perfectly to match your HU volume, thats it. Keep a flat response.

And FYI, underpowering a speaker CAN be a bad thing. Yeah, your subwoofer isn't working too hard, but your amp sure as hell is. The amp playing at full power all the time will surely shorten its life.

C. Whammy 10-07-2008 12:26 AM

well, i have some type r's amped in my truck, but i just got a new car and the substage is the first thing to go in...speakers will go in later, don't you worry

Bartak1 10-07-2008 12:38 AM

Hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................

C. Whammy 10-07-2008 12:46 AM

^^^that was intuitive, haha
how does your 15 sound bartak? any decibel readings?

coobies5 10-07-2008 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by mSaLL150 (Post 3402554)
All you need is 1 deep cycle battery and the big 3 upgrade and a high output alternator. multiple batteries wont do anything for you until you upgrade your electrical, the stock alternator will only do so much.

Also, you guys just get these big ass subs to go boom down the street, but have stock speakers up front..how can you stand that? No front sound stage, just bass blasting in your head...

You shouldn't have anything set on the bass boost. Your gains should be set perfectly to match your HU volume, thats it. Keep a flat response.

And FYI, underpowering a speaker CAN be a bad thing. Yeah, your subwoofer isn't working too hard, but your amp sure as hell is. The amp playing at full power all the time will surely shorten its life.

calm down johnnyboy, sheesh.
i have a big sub yes, but i have stock speakers up front, the stock speakers being powered off the h/u works just fine, you can hear it blend in perfectly with the sub, might not be crisp and clear like some like it, but it keeps up just fine for me. theres a few people on here you can ask that have heard my stereo system and they can vouch for me that the stock 6x8's blend in fine and it isnt all bass, remember i dont have no crappy kicker stuff, so bass isnt in your face. and the amp isnt struggling at all. you set your gains to where it isnt trying to draw every amp of current out of your electrical system.

Bartak1 10-07-2008 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by C. Whammy (Post 3402587)
^^^that was intuitive, haha
how does your 15 sound bartak? any decibel readings?

Sound? Just short of full on sex. Probably right around that oral sex region. Need to do a little tweeking and that should probably pop the cherry.

No mic readings. Id be curious to get it metered, prob never will though. Output though? At times, the whole headliner looks like the cone of a speaker moving, the steering column shakes, and I sometimes feel the urge to shoot quarters off the roof. And thats sealed. Then again, it is a Ford so those things might happen with a stock stereo also...

:lol:

Its no spl competition vehicle, but for daily its more than enough, for me anyway.

C. Whammy 10-07-2008 02:00 AM

hahaha
nice man,
i wouldnt mind getting blown every time i get into my car, so that works for me.
im not looking to do any competitions either, just enough to rattle my brain a little

mSaLL150 10-07-2008 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by coobies5 (Post 3402618)
calm down johnnyboy, sheesh.

Not attacking you, dont worry. Just curious as to how you can handle 15 watt speakers in the front door with 700 watts of bass behind your head. But everyone has their own personal preferences, nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

But like i said, HO alternator, big3 upgrade, and a deep cycle battery and your amplifier will power that 18" beast all day.

coobies5 10-07-2008 02:09 AM

lol, the door speakers can take a beating, might not like it, but i've had my h/u running them for about a year now and they seem to still be working their butts off. and haha right now i have about 900w behind my head, and next week should have easily 2000+ = DDD
really wake this btl up, then i'll need to upgrade the front with some 6.5 comps and some nice tweets.

mSaLL150 10-07-2008 02:17 AM

Yes components will help out a ton, make sure to amp them.

What model amp do you have? Those hifonics tend to be incredibly overrated, hence why they arent too expensive. 900 watts is possible though with their "higher end" stuff.

I used to have a big ported box in high school, and when i would turn up the stock speakers to a level where they could actually try to keep up they just distorted and were incredibly harsh...not to mention the midbass was non-existant.

One other thing...when you get some time/money, deaden your truck. You think your sub is loud now, deadening will make a huge difference.

coobies5 10-07-2008 02:20 AM

yeah, i have the hifonics bxi1206d, i know its crap, i was just wanting to get something for myself for christmas last year. blehhh

and yeah no midbass whatsoever for stock speaks. haha.
and yeah, i have some deadener lying around, just waiting for a weekend im not busy, with the hurricane coming through a few weeks ago, we just got power back and still cleaning up a little here and there, few days i get to replace our whole fence = [ and neighbors too.

Low_e_Red 10-08-2008 12:05 AM

(This is Pt. 1 of 3 replies)

Wow, people this is just like a thread on CA.com. Its horrible. Deserves the FAILBOAT!

Originally Posted by C. Whammy (Post 3402373)
ok, give me your opinion on my situation here
im looking at whether i should get a 15 inch or 18 inch sub
it will be the Fi BL series and its going into a 2009 Scion xB
i will be pushing 1200 watts rms
the 18 recommends a box between 5 and 10 cubic ft after port,
the max i think i will be able to give will be between 5.5 and 6.5 ft after port

the 15 recommends between 2.4 and 4 ft, and i would definitely be able to fit that.

so what do you guys think, a slightly choked 18 or a 15?

First, 09 xB = Waste of money & Civic-esque Fartcan.

What will you be doing with the car (cough cough rounded box)? Traveling to and from college? Hauling groceries? etc....

Originally Posted by C. Whammy (Post 3402434)
that btl is gonna be insane. i wish i had the money to do a setup like that
but do you really think the 15 would be louder? im really mostly looking for SPL (unless the 18 would sound like butthole in a small box)

msall
right now money is an issue.
the 18 would only be $310, and the 15 even cheaper....and an 18 is bigger than 2 12's.
but what 12's would you recommend that run 500-600 rms?
like i said, im mostly looking for output here, without it sounding like the audible representation of a crusty piece of dog *****

The 18 is only about 27sqin bigger...

Why SPL? What brought about that?

Originally Posted by coobies5 (Post 3402436)
for output, get the btl, its fi's most efficient subwoofer, that is if you want to go with fi's brand, if not, ssa icon is about to come out and its a beast. sundown niteshade 12 or 15 would work out for you.
what amp are you going to be using?

Ooh I love Cookie cutters...

Originally Posted by coobies5 (Post 3402442)
yeah, even off the 1000~watts its seeing right now, its pretty insane, i just cant wait to get it off this crapfonics and let it see a real amp, i just need to get some kinetic batteries so it has a power source to draw from.

Uhh, definately need more than kinetics....

Originally Posted by coobies5 (Post 3402467)
yeah, thats why i did a 18" dont know anyone around my area running a 18 in a truck!
and no sir, just stock 130 amp alt. i think it'll hold up fine if i add like 4 big batteries and some runs of 0 gauge

18's are fun!!!
Stock 130 on a 3000?!?!?!?!? HORRIBLE IDEA! New Alt NOW!

3000w/11v (low dip possible) = 281 Amps... That doesnt even include AC compressors, vehicle computers, etc... Thats over 2x the output. You will fry that amp pretty damn fast.

Originally Posted by C. Whammy (Post 3402500)
Orion d2400
1200rms
Fi definitely is doing it for me with the prices. i would rather give the full power to a BL than half the power to a BTL, i dont want to risk clipping my amp

i would look into a HO alternator. i got mine done in my truck for 200 bucks at a local shop. 200 amps.

Agreed, entirely.

Originally Posted by coobies5 (Post 3402519)
not bad at what ohm though? is it 1 ohm stable?

yeah, full power to a sub then underpowering it, but still you cant clip a amp, you can clip a speaker though, but thats if you dont set your gains right, only thing you really need to mess with on a amp to avoid clipping it is.
-gain
-ssf (if you're doing a ported box)
-lpf
thats about it, leave bass boost alone and you'll be fine.

i have the btl on my hifonics bxi1206d and its playing just fine. im not even giving it suggested power and it slams for what it is. everyone says underpowering a speaker is bad for it, no thats nowhere near correct, only reason why people say that is because they go out and mess with their gains and try to get it to sound as loud as possible which ends up being bass boost all the way up, gain all the way up, and bass on the h/u all the way up, that leads to a clipped signal and there goes their sub they just spent all their money on.

BS on entire post.

You can MOST DEFINATELY CLIP AN AMP! Just turn the volume up to a clipped output. It happens a lot more than you notice. And is Ron Jeremy HARD on the amp as well.

Gain is the most important factor on clipping amps/spks.
SSF/IF - Has nothing to do with causing clipping.
LPF - Also has nothing to do with causing clipping. Just lets certain freqs through...
Bass Boost - Doesnt always clip spks. Its all in how its used.

mSaLL150 10-08-2008 12:22 AM

LOL.

Gotta love pwning noobs.

Low_e_Red 10-08-2008 12:24 AM

Part 2 of 3

Originally Posted by coobies5 (Post 3402539)
ahhh, h/u you can set the subwoofer level all the way up, thats basically telling the sub to see full voltage from the h/u to the amp, and bass, i'd leave at 0 or how you have it, i have my h/u set up at
bass - 0 treb - +3 loudness off
bass crossover is at +12 at 60hz (i believe) treb - 10khz
never turn it up passed 25-26 out of 35

Full voltage is what you want...

Alpine or Kenwood deck?

Per your comments earlier, turning the bass boost up on the deck is a bad idea... Recheck your levels....

Originally Posted by mSaLL150 (Post 3402554)

Dear god, electrical needs to be the first goal. ESP the big 3 and alt.

But 2 DpCyc Batts is a must. You really will need help filtering the AC out of that line.

EWW. I hate straight bass.

Bass boost used correctly can be a very nice tool.

Agreed.