Alpine S series vs R series

Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpine S series vs R series

I'm going to upgrade my stock speakers with Alpine's, but can't decide on the S or R series. I have read that the R series in order to sound great need to be amplified, and that the S series sound good with just your HU. My question is would the S series and R series running off just my HU sound the same? or would the S series sound better because of the lower RMS? I ask this because I may later upgrade my system and amplify my speakers, but for now I just wish to replace the stock speakers.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I have last year's type R speakers in my truck, which are rated at 40 RMS. They sound great off just my HU for now. I got them super cheap for closeout at this store, i'd jump on this while they are still in stock.

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_3453...+SPR-57LP.html

Old 03-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
I have last year's type R speakers in my truck, which are rated at 40 RMS. They sound great off just my HU for now. I got them super cheap for closeout at this store, i'd jump on this while they are still in stock.

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_3453...+SPR-57LP.html
I had a set of those for a while and they will take more than the 40w rms for sure. I ran 100 to them and they cranked. I also had a set of the LS's (Comps) and I think they were rated 10w higher. They were nice speakers but the tweeters were harsher than the new line or type R's.

Hey mSall,
Did you end up getting the SPR-17S's for the front? Any progress on the setup?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Devildog101
I had a set of those for a while and they will take more than the 40w rms for sure. I ran 100 to them and they cranked. I also had a set of the LS's (Comps) and I think they were rated 10w higher. They were nice speakers but the tweeters were harsher than the new line or type R's.

Hey mSall,
Did you end up getting the SPR-17S's for the front? Any progress on the setup?
Not really, cant do any of the major stuff until I'm off school this summer. I'm planning on keeping the 5x7 type-Rs in the back to run off the HU, and putting some RSD 6.5s up front. And obviously replacing the substage with EDs.

To be honest, I'm not going to get anything done until june when i get out, but once i do get out i'll have it all done and finished in a week or two. Just have no time or equipment here at college.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alpine S series vs R series