Ford Factory Audiophile Sub 2 ohms 100 watts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Factory Audiophile Sub 2 ohms 100 watts?

So my boy sent me pics of this subwoofer... He says its from an '05.

It states 2 ohms, 50 watts + 50 watts. So, is this FINALLY the specs to the elusive audiophile subwoofer ? So many threads on this topic yet no definite answer!

Old 06-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, its either a 100 watt max or 100 watt rms. i've never heard it tho, so i would have no way of knowing

Old 06-08-2008, 02:33 PM
yea.. hmm.. Anyone else?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:33 PM
hmm.. anymore?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Hmmm.....A quick Google of that model number (S4GRA) seems to come up with a 5 1/4" Ford OEM Component set.

Dammit, you're going to make me dig that thing out of the garage and crack it open to find out for sure. Anyone know what type of bit is needed to pull the sub from the box?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by bigtex44
Hmmm.....A quick Google of that model number (S4GRA) seems to come up with a 5 1/4" Ford OEM Component set.

Dammit, you're going to make me dig that thing out of the garage and crack it open to find out for sure. Anyone know what type of bit is needed to pull the sub from the box?
lol.. no need BigTex. I'll pull mine out of the truck tomorrow and check it myself. I need torx keys. The maintenance guys at work have some..

Oh, and I found that same google search link.. it links to an ebay site. The FORD part numbers are different though.

Last edited by o4screw; 06-09-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by o4screw
lol.. no need BigTex. I'll pull mine out of the truck tomorrow and check it myself. I need torx keys. The maintenance guys at work have some..

Oh, and I found that same google search link.. it links to an ebay site. The FORD part numbers are different though.
I just took mine out too, if you don't get a chance to break into yours, I'll open mine up and take a look. I thought that the amp to the audiophile subwoofer was 90w, rms I'd assume, but don't know for sure.

The screw pattern looks right for it to be the audiophile sub though...

- NCSU

Old 06-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Who cares? The audiophile sub is weaksauce.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Shhhhh, I'm gonna be trying to sell mine!

- NCSU

Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Brother, that's not the point. We are simply trying to finally answer the subwoofer question.. How powerful is the Audiophile Subwoofer? These pics are the closest to an answer I have found on this site.

Soooo...

Let's try to come up with some meaningful debates and possibly some answers.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:38 AM

Brother, that's not the point. We are simply trying to finally answer the subwoofer question.. How powerful is the Audiophile Subwoofer? These pics are the closest to an answer I have found on this site.

Soooo...

Let's try to come up with some meaningful debates and possibly some answers.
Brother(?), what i dont understand is why it really matters... Ford has a stock amplifier for a reason, it is spec'd to push that subwoofer. Power ratings dont really matter.

I have heard 6.5s that will create more bass off the stock amp then that audiophile subwoofer will.

Clearly it is a 100 watt woofer, 50 off each coil. I'm surprised ford even bothers with dual coils on that driver.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Brother(?), what i dont understand is why it really matters... Ford has a stock amplifier for a reason, it is spec'd to push that subwoofer. Power ratings dont really matter.

I have heard 6.5s that will create more bass off the stock amp then that audiophile subwoofer will.

Clearly it is a 100 watt woofer, 50 off each coil. I'm surprised ford even bothers with dual coils on that driver.
I'm sorry if the Brother offended you.. It something I just say.. Nothing to get bent over.. But, I do apologize.

But, yea, it matters to me. I'm just trying to figure out the specs.. funny how most of us have thing setup in our trucks yet we really don't know how the details of it..

It does seem like a 50 watt system @ 2 ohms per VC.. Is that 50rms or 50 max per coil though?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
I thought that the amp to the audiophile subwoofer was 90w, rms I'd assume, but don't know for sure.
The audiophile sub is powerful enough to make the rear view mirror shake. I know that's not a quantitative measurement, but you can definitely feel it vs. a system with no sub.

Coming from the factory, it's a pretty decent setup.

- NCSU

Old 06-10-2008, 01:46 PM

I'm sorry if the Brother offended you.. It something I just say.. Nothing to get bent over.. But, I do apologize.

But, yea, it matters to me. I'm just trying to figure out the specs.. funny how most of us have thing setup in our trucks yet we really don't know how the details of it..

It does seem like a 50 watt system @ 2 ohms per VC.. Is that 50rms or 50 max per coil though?
Sorry about that. Yes, i believe it is 50 RMS per coil. Usually ratings are given in continuous power(RMS), not max power. Hell, my audiophile sub is just sitting in my closet (along with my entire stock audiophile system). Maybe ill build a small, decent enclosure for it and slap a 100w amp on it and see how it sounds.

Or maybe i'll hook it to my 1200w amp and see what it can handle.

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
The audiophile sub is powerful enough to make the rear view mirror shake. I know that's not a quantitative measurement, but you can definitely feel it vs. a system with no sub.
It would give mine a tiny little shake, but i could still clearly see through it. With aftermarket subwoofers, the rearview is completely useless at times.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Sorry about that. Yes, i believe it is 50 RMS per coil. Usually ratings are given in continuous power(RMS), not max power. Hell, my audiophile sub is just sitting in my closet (along with my entire stock audiophile system). Maybe ill build a small, decent enclosure for it and slap a 100w amp on it and see how it sounds.
Thanks for the info.. I too thought in needed to be RMS. I guess what I am trying to pin down is the true power of the factory amp. It's configured to 2 ohms.. So given the pic, I would guess no more than 50 watts per.. 100 watts total.

Quick Reply: Ford Factory Audiophile Sub 2 ohms 100 watts?