My 2 12's behind the seat - Regular Cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 12's behind the seat - Regular Cab

Just wanted to see whether the way I made my box is giving me the best sound. I have 2 12" Rockford Fosgate Audiophiles and I'm pushing them a Punch 60. I kept my build real simple: I measured the space behind the seat and made my box as big as I could. It is sealed and the speakers are aiming towards the front. The only thing I'm missing sound-wise is the lows. Everythying else plays really well. Unfortunately when I cut the volume up a bit, some of the lows just can't be produced.

I honestly don't know the whole "porting" idea. I'm assuming it's when there are holes in the box for the air to exit, giving a different sound. Would that be something I could do to my box?

I'd actually like to know what the best options are for a regular cab. Any suggestions for different speakers or boxes?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Even though your box is as big as possible for your truck, its probably too small for the subs. Porting a box is more than just makeing a hole in a box, the box volume and the port area/length have to be exact or it'll sound horrible. And a ported box usually needs to be much larger than a sealed box to perform correctly.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Are you using the old style Punch 60 (small black amp)? What series are the woofers ( series 1 or 2, punch z, xlc, he, he2, hx2, p1, p2, p3, t1, t2) Do the woofers have dual voice coils? What is the impedance of the woofers. With this info, I'll be able to tell you waht the problem is. It could be a number of things. The old punch 60 is a strong amp, the power shouldnt be the problem. With the model of the speaker, I have a computer program that will tell me the port diameter and length, and the required airspace for each woofer. Let me know and Ill get back with ya. Porting is easy to do once you have the required measurments. PVC pipe works great for ports. It can be purchased in various diameters and cut down for the correct length.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What are you using for a HU?

Make sure your amp is on low pass and not high pass. Just something to check.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:23 AM
I have an Alpine unit running the setup...CDA-9827 I believe. The Punch 60 is the old black amp....has the crossover chip that you can remove and set for your liking...mine of course is set on "LOW". The speakers are 8 ohm Rockford Audiophiles. From what I understand, they haven't made them since their inception back in 93 when I bought them. I'm pretty sure they are single voice coil. I'd have to do a little more research on them to find out the wattage.

Thanks

Old 03-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Ill punch in the numbers and let you know mid-day.

Old 03-09-2005, 01:42 PM
This is a little premature since I don't have the facts but, 12' subs 'typically' begin with a box size from .8 to 1.5 cubic feet(internal).

Can you give us the volume of your boxes too? -Don't rush into porting your boxes yet. A good ported box will require an even larger enclosure than its sealed counterpart. You should get that volume figured out before cutting holes.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:03 PM
I'll take a look at my box tomorow and see what the measurements are....I have a feeling it's way too small to be ported, by what everyone's telling me. Heck, it may sound as good as it's going to get considering the amount of space behind the seats.

Quick Reply: My 2 12's behind the seat - Regular Cab