6-1/2" Round Speakers in 2000 F150 Supercab

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6-1/2" Round Speakers in 2000 F150 Supercab

Is it possible to put 6-1/2" round speakers in the doors of my 2000 F150 Supercab? I know that 5-1/4" are the easy fit for this truck but a friend of mine told me that 6-1/2" can be installed using a bracket of some sort. Well, if the speaker is too large to begin with, what good does a bracket do?

Any help will be appreciated.

Mike

Old 02-20-2005, 09:55 PM
The bracket (in the scoshe cases) allow the speaker to be angled to fit 70-80 percent of the speaker into the stock location. It sticks out more so but is actually set up for better staging and will leave you the install room between the door panel and speaker. They usually run about fifteen per set and sometimes less but will give you a better low end. The end result is for someone who wants a better speaker in a limited location. It's only true reason for existing is some swear that 6.5"s sound better than 6x8 in all cases and certain others just want to make their truck their own anyway possible.

Hope that helps you

Old 02-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Question

Do you have to make your own brackets or can you buy them? If so, where?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 02-21-2005, 08:38 PM
you have to make them

As far as I can tell. None of our vendors sell them and we have always had to make them. It's a pain but it's worth it in most cases (not to mention it's a lot of labor hours if they want custom glass work instead of steel).

If I were to recommend anything it would be to get a set of high-quality 5.25"s to go in to a store bought bracket (no custom work necessary and you can do it in your driveway in twenty minutes per speaker). If you want to go that route, go with Best Buy, Circuit City for the bracket or go to crutchfield.com and it's a small upcharge with speaker purchase.

The number to crutchfield's customer decision line (they will make sure it fits for you, don't worry) is 1-888-955-6000

I don't care what some self-proclaimed gods of stereo say a set of Kappa's, MB Quart 5.25's or Polk MMC series sound better than 95% of the 6" in the world.
If you are really interested in learning more go to
the12volt.com
it's where we installers get a lot of information and swap dirty jokes.

Quick Reply: 6-1/2" Round Speakers in 2000 F150 Supercab