Southeast AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN

Outer Banks driving questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer Banks driving questions

I've been to Corrolla once a few years ago during the summer with some friends. I plan on going back out there this year with my new fx4 and was looking online. Its kind of confusing so got a few questions for you locals or obx goers.

-where you can drive, where the entrances are...corolla, nags head, etc
-dates/times you can be there saw something about only till May 1st (but not sure which spots or if all of them).
-a $25 fee. I dont remember the fee, does it cover everywhere, is it a seasonal thing, daily thing?

Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 PM
The $25.00 fee only applies to riding on the beach within the city limits of Nags Head....
Everywhere else there is no fee .... Once you reach then end of the paved road north of Corrola there is another 11 miles that you can drive on the beach torwards VA..
Going south on highway 12 there are ramps all along the way to the ferry south of Hatteras. no fee to ride on the beach or sound side .... I'm Heading to Buxton and the point next weekend... O yea let your tire pressure down to 15 psi - 10 psi for riding on the beach ... don't ride in the Red Sand you may go down!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 PM

yea we went to corolla last time, just went to the dead end and got on the beach and went north from there...so just nags head has a fee. whats red sand (small rocks)? And this is confusing but i think they are trying to say night driving 10pm to 6am is alowed till may 1st.

" **NEW** - Nighttime ORV use is prohibited from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. from May 1 - September 15 and from September 16 to November 15 a permit is required for night driving from 10 p.m. to 6 a. m. to protect nesting sea turtles. November 16 to April 30 night driving is allowed. All vehicles must be removed from the beach by 10 p.m. and may not enter the beach until 6 a.m." (not sure why it says that in the end, when it said night driving is allowed during that time frame) We were thinking about spending a night out there.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 03-14-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 AM
First off Red Sand is usually small Red Rocks ( they seem to have no bottom, not very friendly to vehicles 1/2 turn on the wheels and you are down ).
As for the rew regulations well that doesn't suprise me ... I am going down next weekend
so I will look into the new requirements.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 PM

ok, yea i have heard of that stuff.

I have had a lot of guys tell me they didnt need to air down... It would be more convenient not to since i will probably be in and out of it the days im up there. Then again id rather not get stuck. Might just invest in a little air compressor.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Be careful if you go. A lot of places have speed limits and last time I went some chevy was blocking the sign so we didn't see that and I ended up with $300 worth of tickets. $150 unsafe operations and $150 underage possession of alcohol. I believe the speed limit is like 15 mph in the summer and maybe 25 mph in the winter.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
ok, yea i have heard of that stuff.

I have had a lot of guys tell me they didnt need to air down... It would be more convenient not to since i will probably be in and out of it the days im up there. Then again id rather not get stuck. Might just invest in a little air compressor.
Im there every weekend and i have never aired down, I keep it in 4 high and im good to go, I cant wait to get back out there once the weather turns a bit warmer.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 PM

are u alowed to stay on the beach all night till may 1st?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:02 PM
I would like to bring this thread back from the sand. LOL! Anyway we were there last year and are going back again Memorial Day weekend. We went on a driving adventure to see the Cape Lookout lighthouse. We rented a 80's Blazer. Not sure if the tires were aired down or not, but the tires were almost bald. It had been raining and the beach was kinda wet. We had zero problems. This time we are driving my truck. Last time we drove my wife's car. Im not sure how far north we are going this time, but I know we are revisiting Cape Lookout, and Wilmington. My wife wants to head back around Manteo, and the Avon, area. Is anyone from the Havelock, New Bern, Atlantic Beach area?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 AM
hey ruffn-it, i live right here at the beaches and is always up and down them. I suggest not letting air out of your tires. I never do and just use 4 high like the other guy said. really the only ppl that need to let air out are little ol stock tires and SUVs that are all stock. your truck will have NO problems at all ill say that. Just in corolla in the summer watch the ruts cuz some that dont know how to drive on beaches will TEAR it up and it will be a hard ride.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:05 PM
my family has a place up at Corolla and Nags head. I have Terra Grapplers on my FX4 and never air down. Corolla is free and after the first 3 miles or so, is very open. Just have to be aware of stumps in the sand. Nags Head (Oregon Inlet area) is free but full of a bunch of yo-yos. If you ride towards the bridge, its more fishermen than anything and a good place to chill for the day. Sand is a bit softer there than Corolla. Last time I was at Nags Head, about 2 weeks ago, it was mostly closed to vehicles due to migrating birds. Ocracoke is also a good place to ride on the beach during the day. Some a$$ ran over and killed a nesting turtle a month or so ago, driving on the beach was already a hot topic, so I'm sure it will be clamped down on before too long. But speaking of Ocracoke, I'll be there for Labor Day weekend....on the beach with the truck. ;-)

Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by effects4
my family has a place up at Corolla and Nags head. I have Terra Grapplers on my FX4 and never air down. Corolla is free and after the first 3 miles or so, is very open. Just have to be aware of stumps in the sand. Nags Head (Oregon Inlet area) is free but full of a bunch of yo-yos. If you ride towards the bridge, its more fishermen than anything and a good place to chill for the day. Sand is a bit softer there than Corolla. Last time I was at Nags Head, about 2 weeks ago, it was mostly closed to vehicles due to migrating birds. Ocracoke is also a good place to ride on the beach during the day. Some a$$ ran over and killed a nesting turtle a month or so ago, driving on the beach was already a hot topic, so I'm sure it will be clamped down on before too long. But speaking of Ocracoke, I'll be there for Labor Day weekend....on the beach with the truck. ;-)
Ill be there at Oregon inlet this coming weekend as well as labor day! I'm sure labor day will be very busy but even at its busiest the beach is 100 percent better than any public beach like VA beach where people walk out. At least with the truck you kind of own your own space on the beach. I'm praying for a good tropical storm off the coast so we can get some good swell to surf.

Quick Reply: Outer Banks driving questions