Southeast AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN

Calling all North Carolina fellow Members!

Old 08-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Calling all North Carolina fellow Members!

I am seriously contemplating retiring to North Carolina in the future! I am 44 years old, & would love advice on some nice places in your beautiful state to reside. I am sick of the cold winters here in New England! What areas do you suggest for quality of life, scenery, decent housing, Etc......Thanks in advance for you input!...........

Old 08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My parents retired to a suburb of Raleigh, and my brother and sister both live near Raleigh as well. There is alot to like about that part of the state, IMO.

BTW, I'm jealous that you get to retire in your 40's. It's pretty tough times for us self employed, non-government workers. Many of us will be lucky to retire at all, much less in our mid 40's to the state of our dreams.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Lake Norman
Cary/Holly Springs
Asheville (If you like the Mountains, and don't mind a few hippies.)

Old 08-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
My parents retired to a suburb of Raleigh, and my brother and sister both live near Raleigh as well. There is alot to like about that part of the state, IMO.

BTW, I'm jealous that you get to retire in your 40's. It's pretty tough times for us self employed, non-government workers. Many of us will be lucky to retire at all, much less in our mid 40's to the state of our dreams.
Things are just way too expensive up here! Heck the State taxes me every year for my F-150 for property tax just because I own it! Pretty soon they will be taxing the air I breath! Auto Ins. is also expensive! Housing is riddiculous too! I have always liked NC! I wanna get out of here while I still have my shirt on my back!........

Old 08-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Let me ask you something... What are you looking for in a home? Do you want to be near the City so you can go out to restaurants and nightlife, or do you prefer a bunch of land and no neighbors? Do you have any strong desire to be near the ocean, or the mountains?

What kind of things you want to do in your spare time, hunt, golf, fish, read books, run marathons, etc?

I'm a big fan of the Raleigh area because it's really a "Big" small city. That's to say there's pretty much everything here that you'd want or need, but at the same time it doesn't feel like being in a metropolis. Plus it's centrally located, so you can make day trips to the beach if you wanted.

Other areas to look at would be Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Wilmington and as mentioned Asheville.

- NCSU

Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 AM
I agree, more info on what you want, NC is a very long and short state, so it covers various regions, from flat to hilly to mountainous. Such that you can drive to Charlotte, Atlanta, Asheville, Boone, Raleigh, & Wilmington in only a few hours. Each place offers such a wide variety of things to do. More so then any other state I have personally visited.

BUT, if you're gonna drive in the left lane with the left blinker on on I-85, you can stay in RI.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Let me ask you something... What are you looking for in a home? Do you want to be near the City so you can go out to restaurants and nightlife, or do you prefer a bunch of land and no neighbors? Do you have any strong desire to be near the ocean, or the mountains?

What kind of things you want to do in your spare time, hunt, golf, fish, read books, run marathons, etc?

I'm a big fan of the Raleigh area because it's really a "Big" small city. That's to say there's pretty much everything here that you'd want or need, but at the same time it doesn't feel like being in a metropolis. Plus it's centrally located, so you can make day trips to the beach if you wanted.

Other areas to look at would be Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Wilmington and as mentioned Asheville.

- NCSU
What do you think about the Concord Area? I like to workout,run,bike,swim, go out to eat, gonna get a Harley to Drive around! Looking for a regular house, nothing huge, easy to maintain. Will be living on a pension. May work part time, if I need or want to. I do like the water, as I am spoiled here in that regard! The ocean is just down the road. Oh yes, I am a NASCAR fan, & love Lowes Motor Speedway!.........

Old 08-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
gonna get a Harley to Drive around!
you MUST do the Blue Ridge Parkway on a Harley. it was meant to be

Old 08-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What do you think about the Concord Area?...
My B-I-L moved to that area about six months ago from NH.
About 25 north of Concord, place called Salisbury.

It is utopia. The difference in housing made him an instant King.
Six acre, fenced (for horses).
3,000 square foot ranch with full finished basement, 2 car garage attached.
10 car detached garage.
3 horse stable.
also 3bed, 2bath trailer at far end of property in good shape.
Pond, about 200' by 200'.
Various out buildings, no junk, the previous owner was meticulous....

....the price...$260,000.

He sold half that in NH for twice as much.
When we get together, he buys the beer...it's the least that damn carpetbagger can do.

He bought a damn golf cart to ride around his lawn.

Last edited by Raoul; 08-29-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Wow, sounds good to me!.....

Old 08-29-2009, 02:57 PM
What do you think about the Concord Area? I like to workout,run,bike,swim, go out to eat, gonna get a Harley to Drive around! Looking for a regular house, nothing huge, easy to maintain. Will be living on a pension. May work part time, if I need or want to. I do like the water, as I am spoiled here in that regard! The ocean is just down the road. Oh yes, I am a NASCAR fan, & love Lowes Motor Speedway!.........
Sounds like you already made your mind up

Old 08-29-2009, 04:04 PM
i just moved to Carrboro from Los Angeles for grad school. The difference is night and day, much happier out here. I got so tired of all the traffic and congestion.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I live in Morganton Nc.

Between the Apps and the South mountains. Its a beautifull place and is becoming a retirees playground. We have a nice lake, plenty of shopping and the temps are moderate. Our fall and springs are 3-4 months long . Short summers and winters.

I have some good shots of the place on camera I will get this stupid SD drive to work I will send ya some. Oh and the housing market is cheap too.

Check out http://www.lakejamesrealestate.com/ to see some nice shots of my area. cya!

Old 08-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey man I live in Eastern Carolina and have for all my life. I love it guess cause ive always lived here but the weather is normally good. And the beach is at your fingers. If your a hunter as i the possibilities are endless. The good thing bout eastern is next door counties are totally different Greenville, Jacksonville, are the city style. Pamlico, West New Bern, Vanceboro, & Trenton areas are more of your farms and wooded areas(quite). Then you have Morehead city witch is the beach and is really nice. All of these places are close to each other. But I must warn you We drive big trucks, Blast HANK JR. & David Allen Coe as loud as the speakers will allow. We'll park on side of the road and turn our hunting dogs loose if we see a deer. Drink alot of beer. Copenhagen is a must. An Nascar is a god sent. The most popular color paint for our trucks is mud. These things come from the rural areas i listed. im not trying to scare you away because its beautiful .I live in Pamlico and the house's arnt that expensive nor the land the county is has alot of retiree's from the north because of the prices. There is a country club too if you like with a pool, golf coarse. There is a golds gym aboout thirty min. away. If you have any questions message me . Hope i can help

Old 08-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Wow, I'm loving what I am seeing! The more info the better! Keep it comming & thanks so much!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calling all North Carolina fellow Members!