1997 - 2003 F-150

2002 4.6 reliable power adder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 4.6 reliable power adder?

All right, so summer has hit, I have the AC going full blast in the truck, and it's back to being unable to outrun a fart. Really quite irritated with the fact I can't pass a cyclist in the slow lane. Is there any way I can get a bit more power out of my little 4.6 and keep it reliable?

Old 07-03-2019, 02:58 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superchips-...kAAOSw4ThdEqks

One of these will help. I have one with its program installed in my 2002 5.4L. It gave it an impressive boost in hp and throttle response with a little improvement in fuel economy. This ebay item claims to be new. If you buy a used one, make sure it is not vin locked to another vehicle.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Couldn't tell from your pic of the truck if it's 2 wheel or four but the biggest bang you'll ever do to that truck in regards to power is to change the axle ratio. If you have larger than stock tires, you can put shorter tires on to gain some power but like a chip or anything short of a supercharger is only going to be small gains. An axle ratio change can really wake up an ol' pokey truck. Might wanna look at the axle ratio tag and find out what ratio you have. A 3.90 or 4.10 ratio can really make a difference if you have something like a 3.55 or 3.21. LOL, made me remember my uncles F150 that had the old 5.0 with a 2.78 axle. Thing was a major land slug until we changed out the gearset.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Couldn't tell from your pic of the truck if it's 2 wheel or four but the biggest bang you'll ever do to that truck in regards to power is to change the axle ratio. If you have larger than stock tires, you can put shorter tires on to gain some power but like a chip or anything short of a supercharger is only going to be small gains. An axle ratio change can really wake up an ol' pokey truck. Might wanna look at the axle ratio tag and find out what ratio you have. A 3.90 or 4.10 ratio can really make a difference if you have something like a 3.55 or 3.21. LOL, made me remember my uncles F150 that had the old 5.0 with a 2.78 axle. Thing was a major land slug until we changed out the gearset.
I hadn't thought of that one. But putting the higher gears in my truck would do some major damage to the gas mileage, and I'm already nearing the single digits

Old 07-03-2019, 05:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Try to understand the conditions you have.
1. small displacement motor. 280 cu/in.
2. operating in the low end of it's torque curve.
3. fan on full takes power through the alternator.
4. the hotter it gets out the more load the AC compressor puts on the motor. The hotter the intake air temp the less power the motor makes.
5. your in third gear as long as OD down shifts. The rpm still is not very high into the max torque band that occurs over 3000 rpm.
Stack these all up and it makes a big difference.
Next time your out, observe these items.
Only way to get more throttle response is a lower gear ratio that raises the engine rpm under all these conditions and supplies mechanical torque multiplication without making major changes under the hood. Otherwise do a down shift to second gear with the shifter that accomplishes the same thing but using the transmission gear reduction.
It still does not fix any other items but raises the engine rpm.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 07-03-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 PM
I don't know what the elevation is in Glendale, AZ but that affects engine power a bunch. Trade for an ecoboost!

Old 07-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
I don't know what the elevation is in Glendale, AZ but that affects engine power a bunch. Trade for an ecoboost!
I'm at 1,152 above sea level here, so not much of a factor. I have a 97 GMC truck that does much better in the mileage and power department.

As for getting an ecobitch motor... Sorry, trucks deserve a minimum of 8 cylinders for gasoline. Besides that, i like having fewer control modules.
If I was going to get a new f150 it would have to be the 5.0

Old 07-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Try the superchips. You'll like it.

Engines typically lose 3% hp for every 1,000 ft. of elevation.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:31 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Superchips isn't the only tuning device out there - SCT is probably the best, with CUSTOM tunes.

Even that probably won't give you what you want, you should really be looking at a regearing. That should not really affect the gas mileage.

What is your tire size and what is the AXLE code on the door jamb sticker? I assume you have an automatic transmission?

Old 07-04-2019, 09:31 PM
Yeah, but the superchps is really cheap used and that link was for a NEW one for less than a hundred. Now there are two more listed for $69.99 and $35. I'm sure those others will cost $400 or so. i'm assuming the engine does not have mods. Mods need custon tuning. Regearing will cost $600 probably minimum for one axle. Let's face it. The 4.6 isn't going to be that fast unless you spend a fortune on it.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Superchips isn't the only tuning device out there - SCT is probably the best, with CUSTOM tunes.

Even that probably won't give you what you want, you should really be looking at a regearing. That should not really affect the gas mileage.

What is your tire size and what is the AXLE code on the door jamb sticker? I assume you have an automatic transmission?
My tire size is 255/70r16 but I'll be bumping up to 265/75r16 as soon as I get the truck leveled. I have the 3.55 gears in the back, 2wd

Originally Posted by Roadie
Yeah, but the superchps is really cheap used and that link was for a NEW one for less than a hundred. Now there are two more listed for $69.99 and $35. I'm sure those others will cost $400 or so. i'm assuming the engine does not have mods. Mods need custon tuning. Regearing will cost $600 probably minimum for one axle. Let's face it. The 4.6 isn't going to be that fast unless you spend a fortune on it.
I don't want the truck to be fast necessarily, i just don't want it to be slower than a geo metro off the line. It's frustratingly slow to accelerate.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:26 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Your truck weighs over 5200 lbs.
Your going to put bigger tires on, make it worse, then compare with a light little Geo and complain.
What's with your thinking?
That's why you came here because you just don't think!

Last edited by Bluegrass; 07-04-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Your truck weighs over 5200 lbs.
Your going to put bigger tires on, make it worse, then compare with a light little Geo and complain.
What's with your thinking?
That's why you came here because you just don't think!
No, he came here because he wants a cheap magic solution for an overweight truck with a very old and tired engine that was underpowered to begin with.

Taller tires and a jacked up suspension might look cool but they only hurt the performance. Higher ratio gears will help acceleration but will kill the gas mileage on the highway. There are always tradeoffs. Have done done any of the basic diagnostics on that engine? It's probably more than ready for a overhaul.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Gutlesswonder
....Sorry, trucks deserve a minimum of 8 cylinders for gasoline. Besides that, i like having fewer control modules.
If I was going to get a new f150 it would have to be the 5.0
Most heavy vehicles and ag tractors have 4 or 6 cylinders. Typically inline... but still.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by joe51
No, he came here because he wants a cheap magic solution for an overweight truck with a very old and tired engine that was underpowered to begin with.

Taller tires and a jacked up suspension might look cool but they only hurt the performance. Higher ratio gears will help acceleration but will kill the gas mileage on the highway. There are always tradeoffs. Have done done any of the basic diagnostics on that engine? It's probably more than ready for a overhaul.
More came to see if there was any solutions aside from motor swap. Yes, the engine is old and tired. I'm well aware. She burns about 1.5qt of oil power change, etc.

Quick Reply: 2002 4.6 reliable power adder?