2004 - 2008 F-150

Top Tier Gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 06:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Top Tier Gas

After reading numerous threads on carbon build-up on plugs and other places, I thought about the gas I have been buying. I buy all my gas at the most convenient place on the way home. Did some reading on top tier gas with the superior detergent package and I'm sold on it. Will be a little bit out of the way, but that's all I intend to burn from now on, unless I'm on a trip and can't find a top tier station. Gonna find out how often I can use Techron without harming the cats as well. Do a search for top tier gas brands and give it some thought.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
As far as I know, Techron will not hurt cats.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-23-2019, 08:28 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
As far as I know, Techron will not hurt cats.

or dogs.

The following 2 users liked this post by serotta:
Old 06-23-2019, 09:06 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I use BP 87 octane almost exclusively since 2005 or so. I started because of the great rewards they offered then.

Top Tier Retailers

76, Aloha Petroleum, Amoco, ARCO, Beacon, BP, Breakaway, Break Time, Cenex, Chevron, CITGO, Conoco, Costco, CountryMark, Diamond Shamrock, Entec, Esso, Express Mart, Exxon, Fast Fuel, HFN, Hele, Holiday, Kwik Star, Irving, Kirkland Signature, Kwik Star, Kwik Trip, Marathon, Metro Petro, MFA, Mobil, Ohana Fuels, Phillips 66, PUMA, QT, Quik Trip, Road Ranger, Shamrock, Shell, Sinclair, Sunoco, SuperAmerica, SuperFuels, Texaco, Valero, Value America, Wow, and Win Win.

Gas Test Findings

For its test, the lab operated an engine continuously for 100 hours on a cycle to represent 4,000 real-miles of use. The engine was then disassembled, photographed, and its key components weighed and measured to determine the thickness of carbon deposits. Six fuels were used, randomly selected and split among three basic gasoline sources and three Top Tier.

The results showed that on average, Top Tier gasoline had 19 times fewer carbon deposits on injectors, intake valves, and in the combustion chamber when compared to regular gasoline.

AAA also found Top Tier gasoline can have a cleansing effect, reducing intake valve deposits by 45 to 72 percent when used over a 5,000-mile interval. Variation in the results is attributed to the detergents used by different brands.

Further, analyzing gas prices over a 12-month period found just a three cent price difference between non-Top Tier and Top Tier gasoline.

Bottom line: For the nominal investment, this study shows that motorists would benefit from using Top Tier gasoline as their primary fuel.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

Last edited by tbear853; 06-24-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like Shell has the best additive package. Found one not too far out of the way. I read a post on Bobistheoilguy that cited a Chevron engineer who supposedly said that Techron is safe up to 15 times the recommended dose. I suspect I have some catching up to do on both my 4.6 and 5.4 3V. Have not decided yet how often I will add it. Can't find any BP stations in the area.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:17 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Techron at each oil change wouldn't hurt. Shell is decent gas. Conoco/Phillips is also good as is Exxon/Mobil.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:31 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Techron at each oil change wouldn't hurt. Shell is decent gas. Conoco/Phillips is also good as is Exxon/Mobil.
My truck has been running on QuikTrip gasoline for probably 98% of it's 147K miles. No complaints on their additive package, which is TopTier certified and you can't throw a stone without finding a QT in Tulsa.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:28 AM
glc
Unfortunately, QT is not a national chain.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:15 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Unfortunately, QT is not a national chain.
Yeah, I know it. It's kind of funny where they've gotten established. There are many in Tulsa, none in OKC, tons in Dallas/Ft Worth, KC, Atlanta, South Carolina. They just skipped Joplin, MO for some strange reason.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:00 PM
glc
There's at least one in the St. Louis area (Eureka). That's where I buy my gas before heading into Illinois. I think I remember seeing them in Kansas City.

Most of the gas here in Joplin is Casey's and Kum & Go. Casey's is goat **** and Kum & Go isn't much better. We have some Conoco/Phillips, one Shell, one Gulf, one Cenex, Murphy/Walmart/Sam's, and a few unbranded.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-27-2019, 08:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I buy the least expensive gas in my area. Costco. I have no idea what Costco adds to gasoline. Costco claims to be "Top Tier". I used to think that was just a marketing gimmick. I guess "top tier" really does denote that the fuel is better.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I'm going to put my $0.02 in....

I buy whatever gas or diesel I see. Whatever is convenient. With that being said, I don't think I've ever used "top tier" fuel, except if I'm traveling, and even that is rare.

The way I look at it, if the engine was designed and tuned correctly, it should have no issues burning any type of commercially made fuel (typically 87 RON or whatever the engine is tuned for) you feed the engine without the need for additives.

Typically carbon build up is the fault of a poorly designed engine, even if the engine is tuned perfectly.

I've seen this throughout the vehicles I've owned.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I'm going to put my $0.02 in....

I buy whatever gas or diesel I see. Whatever is convenient. With that being said, I don't think I've ever used "top tier" fuel, except if I'm traveling, and even that is rare.

The way I look at it, if the engine was designed and tuned correctly, it should have no issues burning any type of commercially made fuel (typically 87 RON or whatever the engine is tuned for) you feed the engine without the need for additives.

Typically carbon build up is the fault of a poorly designed engine, even if the engine is tuned perfectly.

I've seen this throughout the vehicles I've owned.
X2.

I've torn apart a lot of engines and I never found any relationship in the amount of carbon relative to the brand of fuel that was used. And according to their own ads the much talked about Techron is added to keep the fuel system clean and not to reduce carbon deposits. As far "Top Tier", PLEESE Give me a break! There is no definition of "Top Tier", anyone that wants to can claim that their product is "Top Tier"!

CR's "test" is a joke IMO. They only tested six fuels and only three of those are from "Top Tier" stations yet they claim that based on only six tests they can rate all 48 of the named "Top Tier brands that are listed plus the what, dozens?, of unnamed non-top tier brands.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:20 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
AS most of you know, Top Tier gas is all about the detergent packages that is in the gasoline to keep the valves and related parts, clean. Some gasolines have zero detergents and valves and intakes get choked up with deposits. Sometimes so bad replacement of parts are required. So you know which is which, here's a list of the registered brands that are licensed Top Tier gasolines:
https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Old 06-28-2019, 12:44 AM
glc
There is no definition of "Top Tier"
There most certainly is, refer to Labnerd's post. Top tier gas has detergent packages that meet auto manufacturer's specs.

Quick Reply: Top Tier Gas