2004 - 2008 F-150

Cv axel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cv axel vibration

2007 F150 Lariat 4x4 with 2-2.5" level in front with adjustable Bilstein's at stock setting, 1" lift at rear blocks. Truck has 175K miles and I've owned it for 8 years.

Of course ball joints and CV axels have worn quickly with the level. When installing a front camber kit I inadvertently set the truck driver's side pretty far down while lower control arm was unbolted and the tire went pretty far up into the wheel well. After this I started feeling a vibration when making right turns. Problem is more noticeable at higher speeds and sharper right turns. Vibration does not exist going straight or left. In addn. 4-wheel drive won't engage.

Took it to the shop and had all hub bearings, control arms, ball joints, and both axels replaced along with sway bar linkages and bushings. Noise did not go away. After six months of living with it the Napa driver's side CV axel boots already broke and the axel went bad. I've never had one wear that fast, usually about every two years the boots break.

Took it to Ford dealership and they put it up on the lift, driver's side CV axel was vibrating bad and bouncing up and down, 4x4 did engage. Ford recommended replacing the driver's side CV axel to start and the already work sway bar linkages. Can't seem to get these linkages to last more than six months anymore.

Took the truck back to my mechanic and exchanged the warranty driver's side front CV axel for replacement. All done but still getting the vibration when turning right hard or at high speeds. Typically when the front end weight shifts to the driver's side. My mechanic said it is CV axel vibration.

This problem didn't exist until after the camber kit install incident nor have parts worn this quickly. Had a pretty strong camber kit installed and alignment done by 4-Wheel Parts. Any suggestions on the issue?

Need to get the rear differential seal and transfer case seal replaced so taking it back to Ford for further diagnosis if needed now that the CV axels are good.

Thanks

Last edited by ch51670; 06-24-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Unfortunately, you play, you pay.

Anytime you change the geometry, you will have this happen. Just the way it is.

I also recommend Motorcraft or the higher quality MOOG CK OR K problem solving chassis parts.

Good luck.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Sounds like a real mess.

How were wheel bearings or "hub" bearings?

How about IWEs?

You don't drive it normally with 4x4 engaged do you?

Old 06-22-2019, 01:07 PM
I know, lessons learned. My mechanic thought Napa carried Moog components but I guess not. Didn't care, will be selling the truck end of year.

Never had this vibration in the nine years the geometry has been altered until the after the camber kit install.

Last edited by ch51670; 06-22-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Forgot to mention but edited original post, both front hub bearings were replaced as well. I only use 4x4 when needed off-road which is for a short distance about 4 times a year.

Have not looked into the IWEs.

Quick Reply: Cv axel vibration