Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Some Advice

2012 F150 Ecoboost. 90,000 miles. All maintenance has been performed at dealer per the spec.

Two days ago my Check Engine light came on. Took is to the local Autozone. Their diagnostic gave me code P0016. Came home and made an appointment with the dealer. Yesterday morning the Check Engine light was off and it has not come back on. I haven’t noticed any performance issue.

This morning I go to my appointment at the dealer. I tell them the light was on and gave them the code. The guy told me I should have made an appointment with the “heavy tech” as he will have to pull the engine. I mention the light is now off. Ask if that means anything. He tells me “that happens all the time.” He then tells me the first available appointment with the tech is July 29, almost 6 weeks from today.

Before I spend mega thousands, my first question is does this make any sense? My second question is if the check engine light doesn’t go back on, can I keep driving this thing. My third question is should I just trade this thing in on a new model. (Semi kidding)

Old 06-20-2019, 02:49 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Read this.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0016

As that says, it could be a sensor. But, it also may be the timing chains need replacement using my wild guessing skills!

Old 06-20-2019, 06:14 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Have an ASE Shop near you replace the crank sensor using a Motorcraft part. If it were out of time as in it jumped time with the cam chains or the cam chains stretched, you would have a constant CEL, not an intermittent one.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Have an ASE Shop near you replace the crank sensor using a Motorcraft part. If it were out of time as in it jumped time with the cam chains or the cam chains stretched, you would have a constant CEL, not an intermittent one.
Thanks, I will do that.

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice