1997 - 2003 F-150

Theft light blinking, Dashes on odometer, Truck not starting, and clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theft light blinking, Dashes on odometer, Truck not starting, and clicking noise

I have a 2001 F150 v8 4.6L. My truck turned off while i was driving and i haven’t been able to turn it on ever since that day. The theft like is flashing, i have dashes “- - - -“ on the odometer, it will crank but not start up and there is a clicking noise coming from the fuse box under the hood. Any help would be appreciated.

I already disconnected the battery for two days. Already changed both PCM relay and Fuel Pump relay. I cleaned most of the grounds. I checked all the fuses and I tried the spare key.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Your PCM is not powering up. You'll have to go in there with a meter and verify the integrity of the feed for the power to the PCM and to check the grounds for the PCM.

Pulling a fuse out and staring at it isn't enough. You have to check for power on both test points of the fuse while it's in the circuit to see if it is passing power through it.

Check the following, including a close visual examination of the contact pins inside the fusebox for each of the named fuses or devices:

Cabin F30 -- Hot in START or RUN
Underhood PCM Diode (Check pins, verify not reversed).
Underhood PCM Power Relay - (check pins, identify is it is what is "clicking").
Underhood F2 - Always Hot.
Underhouse F23 - Hot in START or RUN - Requires that PCM Power relay be energized and properly passing power.

If, after (properly!) checking all of those you haven't found and fixed the problem, report your specific observations for the preceding tests for further analysis.

Quick Reply: Theft light blinking, Dashes on odometer, Truck not starting, and clicking noise