Avoid purchasing extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avoid purchasing extended warranty

Avoid purchasing any warranties from Dealership. Paid $2,200 & got lots of excuses, why this or that is not covered. Rust appearing at both rear wheel wells, with my F-150 being 6 yrs. old. 'The Treatment' has made me get 4 Body shop estimates, their Rep visited my Dealership, 'Milnes Ford' in Lapeer, Mi. & 6 months later, still no resolution or repair.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
The Ford ESP warranties are for mechanical only. NOT for rust.

It states this right in the documentation.

Good luck.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:10 AM
When I considered buying the warranty, the salesman told me everything was covered. So I purchased the FoMoCo 'Premium Care', 8 years / 125,000 miles. Along with the renewable 7 year warranty from 'The Treatment', which covers surface rust & rust perforation. The Ford dealership business manager, who sold me both warranties, said there is nothing more he can do. I'm very disappointed & will be contacting Ford Headquarters. Most of the responsibility lies on 'The Treatment' but the Ford salesman sold me the warranties.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:27 PM

Never heard of "The Treatment".

Are you sure it isn't a Ziebart or AutoArmour warranty on that? If so, that is 3rd party and Ford doesn't deal with that.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Just bought a new Escape over the weekend and my dealer was pushing a “non-Ford” ESP - no,thanks! I might consider buying the FoMoCo ESP before my “3-36 bumper-to-bumper” expires - we’ll see.....

Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got the Ford dealer ESP and there was no "treatment" warranty included in it?? It was just for mechanical and computer related issues beyond the factory 3 yr 36,000 mile deal or whatever it was.. Rust was never a part of my ESP warranty, so not sure what you were sold, but that's not what I was sold and knew that from the start..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 PM

I got the Ford ESP on my F150. I'm on my last available renewal.

Can I say it's worth it?!

In my case -- I've broken even (so far!). If I would've just saved the money on the side as a "repair fund", then it would've cost me the same amount. So, eh... I don't know.

On my new truck will I get it? You betcha... especially with all the electronics, and especially if it's a diesel. No way in heck can I buy a new engine or transmission for that.

One thing to keep in mind -- the Ford ESP does NOT cover DPF/SCR or catalytic converters! Just as an FYI. States this right in the brochure and on the PDF of "What's covered".

Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
So as a regular practice, whenever I buy a new car I begin banking $100.00 per month in an “unexpected repair fund” for the vehicle. That way, when the 3-36 expires I already have $3600.00 saved for any unusual or unforeseen repairs. I keep banking that $100.00 per month for as long as I own the vehicle.

For guys who have bought Ford ESP’s, do you think the method I detailed above would be the equivalent of a “self-funded” ESP or would there still be an advantage to just getting the ESP? The obvious advantage of my plan is that there is no time or mileage limit and no “excluded repairs” - as long as I keep the money banked (not a problem for me) I have it at the ready for any repairs that fall outside the scope of normal maintenance items.

Thoughts....???

Old 05-21-2019, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Never heard of "The Treatment".

Are you sure it isn't a Ziebart or AutoArmour warranty on that? If so, that is 3rd party and Ford doesn't deal with that.
"Never heard of "The Treatment".

Are you sure it isn't a Ziebart or AutoArmour warranty on that? If so, that is 3rd party and Ford doesn't deal with that."

It's 'The Treatment', not Ziebart or Auto Armor. Ford Dealership sold it to me.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The Treatment Warranty.pdf (577.9 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by MJD54hdMark
"Never heard of "The Treatment".

Are you sure it isn't a Ziebart or AutoArmour warranty on that? If so, that is 3rd party and Ford doesn't deal with that."

It's 'The Treatment', not Ziebart or Auto Armor. Ford Dealership sold it to me.
Same as AutoArmour and Ziebart.

Here's their website: http://autodealercoatings.com/

Call them at: 877-227-9291

OR

File a claim: http://autodealercoatings.com/warranty-claim-form/

As a courtesy, if I was the dealer, I would've told you this up front. At least if I wanted your repeat business.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Just bought a new Escape over the weekend and my dealer was pushing a “non-Ford” ESP - no,thanks! I might consider buying the FoMoCo ESP before my “3-36 bumper-to-bumper” expires - we’ll see.....
Before anyone buys an extended warranty, from Ford or from anyone else, go through this forum and look at the large number of complaints about things that Ford and the stealerships have refused to cover. Such as water leaks, defroster systems, opening rear windows, etc.

Extended warranties aren't worth the paper that they're written on. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you buy an extended warranty, you are thinking you either can't afford repairs or you think you are saving money as the repairs will exceed the value of the warranty. #1 Ford and warranty companies are in business to make a profit. if you think you will beat them...good luck.. #2 You should have an emergency fund to cover emergencies in your life , if you don't then you have no business buying a new car.

Get off the treadmill and start thinking with your money rather than doing little patches here and there. Money and security in the bank will feel better than a new car in the driveway. People buying thing they don't need, to impress people they don't like, with money they don't have......

Old 05-29-2019, 08:51 PM

^ Well said.

Can't agree enough.

It's hard to believe how many people live paycheck to paycheck, and are strapped to a job. Though, they have a nice house, a nice new car(s), RVs, etc, etc. Do they need any of that? No.

It's just like the other day I was talking to someone about how nice their property was, and this and that... he told me, gosh, I'm so far into debt, I'm in debt up to my eyeballs. He said it's so easy to get into debt...

I was taught very early in life, if you borrow, you immediately pay back. If you can't afford it, you don't buy it OR it can wait until you can afford it. In fact, it's saved me from what I call "stupid/nonsense" purchases. Sometimes when you stop thinking "I need this [place widget here]!" it goes away.

Now in my life, I realize that I live in a bracket that 95% of people wished they lived in.

I also like the fact that I have minimal on most everything too.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:05 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I've never bought an extended warranty and at age 75, I kinda doubt that I will. It's an insurance policy. You are betting the vehicle will break and the insurance co. is betting it won't and the odds are in their favor because they have the data. And their job is to deny any claim they think they might be able to get away with. If I owned a vehicle that needed lots of repairs, I'd get rid of that POS. Or as I told one car salesman, if the vehicle cost that much to keep repaired, I would take it out in the woods and shoot it between the headlights.

One of my neighbors who is retired from the state as head of alcohol law enforcement in this area which was 1/8th of the state has a home warranty. They never replace any appliance because it's always cheaper to repair the old unit. His home is 28 yrs old and it still has the original heat pump which is very inefficient. If he gets a new much more efficient one, he will have to pay for it. Same thing with all the other appliances.

Last edited by Roadie; 05-29-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:10 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
^ Well said.

Can't agree enough.

It's hard to believe how many people live paycheck to paycheck, and are strapped to a job. Though, they have a nice house, a nice new car(s), RVs, etc, etc. Do they need any of that? No.

It's just like the other day I was talking to someone about how nice their property was, and this and that... he told me, gosh, I'm so far into debt, I'm in debt up to my eyeballs. He said it's so easy to get into debt...

I was taught very early in life, if you borrow, you immediately pay back. If you can't afford it, you don't buy it OR it can wait until you can afford it. In fact, it's saved me from what I call "stupid/nonsense" purchases. Sometimes when you stop thinking "I need this [place widget here]!" it goes away.

Now in my life, I realize that I live in a bracket that 95% of people wished they lived in.

I also like the fact that I have minimal on most everything too.
Here you go Manual, some research on the subject:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/22/pf/...ces/index.html

Quick Reply: Avoid purchasing extended warranty