2009 - 2014 F-150

Is my transmission trying to die?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my transmission trying to die?

I have a 2012 FX4 Supercrew with the 5.0 V8. The truck has about 105,000 miles on it. In the last week, it has given me the following problem twice:
When starting up from a stop it winds a little bit longer and higher in first gear. Then when it shifts to second, the whole dash board lights up as a giant wrench. After that, the truck will only use gears 3-5. It won't go into 1, 2, or 6. Also, the speedometer, fuel economy, and odometer all stop working. Last, the airbag light turns on. If I stop the truck and turn it off, then on again, the problem seems to clear up. Tonight it did this and I restarted it so it would shift properly. I then drove straight to auto zone to have them scan it, but it was not throwing any codes. Is this thing on its way out? Or is it something more simple? The only good news is that when The Wife heard about this, she told me to take it direct to the dealership tomorrow to try to trade it in! ;-)

Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It sounds like either a grounding issue or the ECU is going south.

Not sure how much time or money you want to put into it, but if you are financially set to buy a new truck, then go for it.

For such low mileage, I would minimally start looking at the basics, such as wiring, corrosion, heck maybe even have the battery and alternator load tested. --- Before even thinking about getting rid of it.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:28 AM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
I doubt it's a bad transmission. You have an electrical/electronic issue.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Update

So it is happening quite frequently now. I took it to Auto Zone during a failure and they checked the code. It's showing an output speed sensor error. Looks like this is part of the molded lead frame issue that is covered under the extended warranty for known issues. I called my local dealer and they are going to get me in to check it out. In two weeks.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Two weeks? lol

Find a different dealer.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Two weeks? lol

Find a different dealer.
I know, right? This dealer has gotten me right in before, and more importantly, the service advisor always gives me a free loaner. I was bummed this time, but the other dealer that is an option for me is scheduling even farther out. Luckily, I think I'm getting a new truck Monday, so I won't be in as tight a predicament.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:03 PM
Check to see if you're on the TSB list for either the lead frame or the latest programming update.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:18 PM
Turns out they replaced the lead fame under the recall/extended warranty TSB and changed out some gaskets. It drives mostly normal, but still shifts hard out of first. I love this truck because it's a beaut and still seems to have lots of life in it, but she gets traded in tomorrow for a new one. I don't feel like this trans is the one I want to use to drag the camper from Michigan to the Grand Canyon and back with this June!

Old 04-11-2019, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
Check to see if you're on the TSB list for either the lead frame or the latest programming update.
Good call, this was it.

Quick Reply: Is my transmission trying to die?