2013 f150 ecoboost cooling fan very loud

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 f150 ecoboost cooling fan very loud

Just purchased a 2013 f150 ecoboost and love the truck but when i pull a hill or drive through town the cooling fan runs very loud, so loud you can hear it in the cab and cannot have a conversation in the front of the truck, engine temps seem to be normal has anyone found a fix for this yet?

Also i purchased this truck from my local ford dealer with this issue and even though one of there liscenced techs says its not right and he thinks he know the issue, not even a month past the 5yr warranty period lucky me, they still say i am financially responsible for the diagnosis and fix, i spent 25k on a truck from a dealer so i could have piece of mind, very disapointed in my very first ford truck

Last edited by jasonashton; 01-17-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6...tuck-high.html

Looks like it's a simple software update. No reason to hate on the truck or Ford for this.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:57 AM
thanks, i did read that before posting and they talk about the issue but i dont see anyone with a solid fix, software update??

Old 01-18-2019, 09:02 AM
no body else has any idea??when i google the problem and look here theres lots of people with this issue but theres no posted fix for it

Old 01-18-2019, 10:39 AM
glc
I see a lot of posted fixes for it. Most of them have something to do with the A/C system. There may be a PCM programming update to fix it, that's what I meant by software. If the dealer tech thinks he knows what's causing it, have him fix it.

The 5 year warranty is only for the powertrain, and this may not fall under that.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:45 AM
looks like theres exhaust gases in the coolant after a special test, i am told it needs head gaskets, at this point climbing any hil or if the motor is under any boost at all the temp gauge climbs and doesnt stop until you back off the gas or pull over, i should also say the ford dealer where i purchased the truck is going to fix it at no cost to me, thank you ford for standing behind what you sell

Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 AM
glc
Head gaskets are definitely covered under the powertrain warranty.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Head gaskets are definitely covered under the powertrain warranty.
i purchased it less then a month past that warranty

Old 01-26-2019, 12:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Ouch.

You might be able to swindle Ford into paying half of it. Go to your dealer and ask nicely. Don't get pissed off about it. You'll likely get someplace.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
At least the dealer is taking care of you! Sucks all the same.

I have a 13 (build date 10/13) and tow a #5000 TT during the summer months and go over 5% grade passes all the time. To date, I have never seen the trucks temp gauge ever move past it's "normal" point. I monitor the trans temp from the digital reading on the info panel and the most it has ever gotten towing in around upper 90's outside temp is 220* and that was going up a switch back mountain road going 20-25 mph and in 2-3rd gear for about 10 miles!

I have since gotten a ODBII gauge reader to my smart phone and can now monitor my actual engine temps and even stuck in stop and go traffic it will get to 212* before the fans actually kick on. But the fans are not what I would consider loud.. If the windows are down and I have the radio off, I can hear them in the cab. Standing in front of the truck, or with the hood open, and they are going full tilt, sure you can hear them, but they are pulling a ton of air thru the rads, so I like that..

I've heard of others that say their fans run full tilt all the time, no matter how hot the engine is.. Now that would be a problem..

Hopefully, getting the head gaskets fixed will fix the overheating issue that would cause and let your fans work normally.

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 01-27-2019, 02:50 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
In 90 degree heat, your AC should be on. To the best of my memory, with almost every car, when the AC is on the fan is also on.

When you experience a failure after the warranty period, sometimes the dealership is able to correct the issue with an after warranty adjustment. It will vary depending on the failure, but always inquire. Especially if there was a technical service bulletin issued regarding the failure. That means that you are experiencing a known issue, that could have or should have been corrected while you were still within warranty. Especially with an issue which you could not have caused by user error.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:54 AM
multiple aftermarket thermostats and they all did not open, they replaced with a ford brand and runs like a new truck again, no heating up, no fans running, to anyone else with this issue did you put an aftermarket thermostat in it??

Quick Reply: 2013 f150 ecoboost cooling fan very loud