2009 - 2014 F-150

2014 F-150 Maintenance Questions

Old 12-03-2018, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2014 F-150 Maintenance Questions

Hey guys,

I have a 2014 F-150 EcoBoost 4x4 with about 67,000 miles on it. I've always had the local Ford dealer perform the Works service, as it is cheap (~$50) and fairly quick. They do a multi-point inspection and last time they noted a few things:

Transmission Fluid (Needs Attention)
Engine Coolant (Discolored - Needs Attention)
Brake Fluid (Dirty - Requires Immediate Attention)
Throttle Body Service (Recommended)

I live in a condo, so I don't have a great place to service my truck. I'd like to get all these things addressed at my next service (I need to get a quote from the dealer to see what they will charge for these things). A few questions:

1. Anyone have any idea what these services should cost me?
2. Are any of these so dang simple I could just do it myself?

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:22 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
I don't think you can do any of that yourself in a parking lot. I'm guessing you are looking at $500 or more for all that.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Yep, I'd just let them do it -- OR find a trustworthy mechanic or friend that is willing to do is cheaper, but do the same exact process in their garage/shop.

Not to mention just disposing of fluids and the mess. Heck, I don't like doing coolant, it's one of those jobs that is left to a monkey worker that doesn't mind getting coolant splashed in their mouth and face. Or your condo may kick you out even for doing "auto repairs" in their parking lot. Some places are strict about working on your own cars, sometimes even for liability purposes.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by glc
I don't think you can do any of that yourself in a parking lot. I'm guessing you are looking at $500 or more for all that.
Thanks I figure it will be around $500.

Originally Posted by ManualF150
Yep, I'd just let them do it -- OR find a trustworthy mechanic or friend that is willing to do is cheaper, but do the same exact process in their garage/shop.

Not to mention just disposing of fluids and the mess. Heck, I don't like doing coolant, it's one of those jobs that is left to a monkey worker that doesn't mind getting coolant splashed in their mouth and face. Or your condo may kick you out even for doing "auto repairs" in their parking lot. Some places are strict about working on your own cars, sometimes even for liability purposes.
Thanks - I think I will just let the Ford dealer do it.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:00 AM
The dealer in Milking you like a goat.

Tranny fluid isn't due till 150,000miles for "Severe Service". Also, when they flush it, it will ONLY FLUSH OUT THE TRANNY COOLER SIDE, due to the thermostat. Most dealers are not flushing with 190*+ fluid. If they do it, please make sure they drop the pan and swap the filter.

Engine Coolant. Have a look at the color for yourself, If it's orange, you're good. You can also grab a coolant tester for super cheap from Autozone.

Not likely, but I know some folks get their brakes hot. My fluid looks like new @ 55k miles, I'm all for a brake flush though, if it looks off color

Throttle Body takes literally 10 minutes to remove. pull it and check the backside of the blade, if it's clean, put it back on and leave it.
TB

Good luck, it's great to maintain a vehicle, but don't waste your hard earned money.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
They're trying to screw up over. Every " multi-point inspection" that I've ever seen is just an opportunity for a stealership to sell you work that you don't need.

What does your owner's manual say about when these services are needed??? Does it EVER call for a transmission flush or a brake system flush?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I think all of those maintenance items are a good idea to do. the truck is 5 yrs old. However, you can probably postpone all of them without major consequence. The truck will probably need new brakes soon and that would be a good time to flush the brake system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 F-150 Maintenance Questions